borders' coupons

bertrand

A friend of mine sent me a 40% coupon for books only ending today. But I went there yesterday to get 'Rollin' With Leo', armed with a 25% coupon I had from elsewhere, and the nice guy at the register insisted on giving me 40% off from a coupon he had there which he said was out there for the week-end. So is there a 40% off CDs thing going around as well? I had my eye on a couple of other things...

I had not been getting coupons for awhile because I forgot to give them my new e-mail address- duh!

Bertrand.

I still get those coupons, though I've yet to use one. That'd require (1) being near a decent Borders, (2) wanting something thay had, (3) determing that the price was reasonable, and (4) having enought money. As I say, so far, ain't happened. I still repost coupons here from time to time, though past postings of book coupons, even good ones like 40%, don't generate much enthusiasm.

I'm kinda suprised that their computers weren't smart enough to match the product type and coupon. Perhaps all the programmers have been laid off.

Enjoy them while you can. I would say that given the rumors about their financial health, Borders won't be around 5 years from now, or only in a very small handful of cities. Or they will be basically a cafe with a few rows of books and CDs to choose from.

I know many people like to rag on chains, but there were fairly crappy chain bookstores in the malls long before Borders (Waldenbooks). Someone pointed out that after Borders and Barnes & Noble, thousands of small cities had far better bookstores than before with the small local bookstore. From my perspective, it wasn't Borders that killed the local bookstore, but Amazon.

Anyway, I did manage to use my 40% off coupon on a book on the Chicago El.

Borders laid off 136 workers at the Ann Arbor Corporate Headquarters this week, 2 weeks after cutting a few of the executives, and about 8 months after cutting 156 workers at HQ. And, most Borders stores will go to Top 25 for music selection (it seems like it is now, actually).

My local Borders hasn't stocked a new BN RVG in a couple years, so no Rollin' w/ Leo for me. In fact, just this week I got a 25% off music/dvd coupon exclusively for the Borders up the block. It's all getting cleared out.

Yeah, I guess we are spoiled in Chicago. We still get the RVGs in many of the stores. Plus I was able to get a bunch of those ultra cheap ECM reissues at 20% off because they were in stock at one location or another.

Not a patch on the Towers we used to have of course, but better than nothing.

• 1 month later...

All I know is that I am not so thrilled that the new coupon are in-store only (some earlier ones I had included the on-line store). Anyway, I was walking home from the symphony and stopped in to try to use a coupon. Well, actually it was an impulse buy and I didn't have the coupon, and the clerk refused to look up my account (which they often offer to do even as I am getting my card out of my wallet). And gave me some attitude. (I thought the whole point of the in-store coupons was to get people into the stores and be a bit grateful we are in a brick and mortar in the first place. So even if I was scamming them by using a coupon twice (which I wasn't) then I would still be inside the store twice, right?) So I won't be going back to that store (on State St.) and the one on Michigan Ave. in the Magnificent Mile is slated for closing within the year. So pretty soon I won't be bothered at all by Borders, and I will go pretty much 100% on-line shopping. I'll survive.

But it won't be much longer for Borders.

Borders is having a CD/DVD inventory clearance. 30% off (not a big deal). Some stores are exlcuded. Not much available in my stores for a couple of years now.

If you look at the fine print, a handful of stores are left out, including some in Manhattan and the two downtown Chicago stores. I don't know... I can certainly imagine people showing up and then leaving in a huff. Are they trying to give people reasons to stay away? The weird thing is that the bigger Chicago stores were part of the 20% off CD/DVD event from a few months ago. Even if they lost some revenue, I would think that a promotion that was 30% off most stores and 20% off at the remaining downtown stores would be a lot more palatable than what they've got now.

I cleaned out my local Borders of pretty much everything I wanted with the 40% coupons that were going out last year. Then they started with the ones that work on the website, and I helped them clear some inventory there, too (got a few great deals on SACDs that are normally really expensive). You need to be careful on their site if you're particular about which version you want, often the cover art/description/etc. don't match. Shopping by UPC # has been 100% reliable so far.

Anyway, I've only been getting 30% off, in-store only coupons from them so far this year...not enough to get me in the door. It's always sad to see a store close, but I can't afford to keep these guys in business. I'll miss them when they go, but not as much as I miss Tower.

I cleaned out my local Borders of pretty much everything I wanted with the 40% coupons that were going out last year. Then they started with the ones that work on the website, and I helped them clear some inventory there, too (got a few great deals on SACDs that are normally really expensive).

Yes, it was fun picking off the Pentatone SACDs last year at 40% off. One of those rare times where a store coupon beat the Net. :)

I don't think they bother ordering the higher priced stuff now though. The classical section has been chopped in 1/2 if not more and jazz is much smaller as well. A row of manga has infiltrated the real estate once used for CDs.

Edited by Quincy

I don't think they bother ordering the higher priced stuff now though. The classical section has been chopped in 1/2 if not more and jazz is much smaller as well. A row of manga has infiltrated the real estate once used for CDs.

I've never seen anyone actually buy manga at Borders; they just have a bunch of pimply kids thumbing through the books for half an hour at a time. With this kind of thing, I'd much rather buy on-line than pay full price for something that is essentially used.

Borders has become the new Tower for me on those late nights after dinner out.

The local store now closes at 10 instead of 11 and the upper floor's CD collection

(which wasn't all the great anyway) has dwindled to piddle. Still, I'll attempt to see

what's left and make a go of it. Manga has taken over here too (about a decade or so too late),

but I think Borders would be the last place to buy it.

R

I've never seen anyone actually buy manga at Borders; they just have a bunch of pimply kids thumbing through the books for half an hour at a time. With this kind of thing, I'd much rather buy on-line than pay full price for something that is essentially used.

I see the same thing. My mother-not-technically-an-in-law refuses to buy books from Borders. She finds it disgusting that they let people read books that they haven't bought around food & drink. Her voice sounds just like Edith Bunker as she states her fear of coming home with a book and discovering a coffee stain 3/4s of a way through her book. It's hilarious to hear her go on about it other than I have this fear that I'll turn around and Archie Bunker will be behind me, or even more frightening Sally Field.

I see the same thing. My mother-not-technically-an-in-law refuses to buy books from Borders. She finds it disgusting that they let people read books that they haven't bought around food & drink.

Well, if you buy books that nobody reads, you're golden.

Her voice sounds just like Edith Bunker as she states her fear of coming home with a book and discovering a coffee stain 3/4s of a way through her book. It's hilarious to hear her go on about it other than I have this fear that I'll turn around and Archie Bunker will be behind me, or even more frightening Sally Field.

Do you mean Sally Struthers?

Her voice sounds just like Edith Bunker as she states her fear of coming home with a book and discovering a coffee stain 3/4s of a way through her book. It's hilarious to hear her go on about it other than I have this fear that I'll turn around and Archie Bunker will be behind me, or even more frightening Sally Field.

Do you mean Sally Struthers?

Ah, of course. Yikes! Though those endless Boniva ads with Ms. Fields are kinda getting on my nerves.

Borders has become the new Tower for me on those late nights after dinner out.

The local store now closes at 10 instead of 11 and the upper floor's CD collection

(which wasn't all the great anyway) has dwindled to piddle. Still, I'll attempt to see

what's left and make a go of it. Manga has taken over here too (about a decade or so too late),

but I think Borders would be the last place to buy it.

R

Is that the one just north of downtown, down the street from where Tower used to be? Man, that's sad. That store hasn't even been open for five years, has it?

Is that the one just north of downtown, down the street from where Tower used to be? Man, that's sad. That store hasn't even been open for five years, has it?

Yup! That's it. The McKinney & Lemmon store. I still get my magazines there, but the upstairs is only good for sitting in comfy chairs in the art dept.

Like Jim said last year, the stores are turning to these machines that make discs and covers for you.

Hasn't happened at this particular store yet, but a new one that opened in Allen (IIRC) advertises one of those "kiosks."

I'm running out of places to spend some comfort time at night near the "Cosmic Cafe." :D

what the hell is manga?

I reiterate....

Manga is an extremely popular form of Japanese comics that took off

in Japan just after WWII and caught on in America around the early 80's.

®

huh. Guess I missed that trend, as I've never heard of it or noticed it's popularity. But if that is what Borders is turning to instead of CDs, then I'm getting off the bus now.

what the hell is manga?

I reiterate....

Manga is an extremely popular form of Japanese comics that took off

in Japan just after WWII and caught on in America around the early 80's.

®

huh. Guess I missed that trend, as I've never heard of it or noticed it's popularity. But if that is what Borders is turning to instead of CDs, then I'm getting off the bus now.

Don't feel bad, Greg. I wasn't sure what Manga was either.

The "extremely popular" was in Japan. :D

The American interest is still a bit cultish.

• ...but tonight, I went up to look at the discs.

It was pretty much a slow gait up and down about 4 aisles and that was it...

Right now, I can peer over my right shoulder and see more CDs than

what was in that store. It's a dead item.

Bought a book by André Breton and left.