The Complete H.R.S. Sessions.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The main draw for me here is the Bechet (who I'm still a newcomer to, having only checked out some of the BN sides from the library back in the day). Of all the material Bechet recorded, where does this rank? (10=the very best stuff he ever did, 8=probably essential, 5=as good as anything but not a standout, 1=think most of Bud Powell's 1960s material).

A major 10! :)

DHL announced some time ago that they were basically pulling out of the American market, leaving it to UPS and Fed Ex.

Problem for me, as I have a dispute with local UPS who I consider lazy and incompetent after they failed to deilver an important document and told me a pack of lies about what happened, then refused to deal with my complaint. For me UPS are garbage and I will never use them again.

The surface mail option usually works fine for me - and $12 is OK cost-wise. Most of the time it gets shipped Air Mail anyway (although I have visions of it ending up in some Russian-registered bulk carrier taken over by Somali pirates :unsure: ). Too bad the cut-off is $100 otherwise I would have sneeked in a Carmell Jones.

As far as I understand, actual surface shipping does no longer exist. The difference between priority and economy mail is that if you opt for the first, your package *should* go with the first flight, while if you opt for the later, it may lay around for a while and get shipped whenever there's some space... that's how they explained it to me in a local post office.

Now back on topic: the H.R.S. set is very beautiful, chock-full of great music, many sessions by musicians that you might only know as sidemen, many discoveries to be made there! I'd not call it essential in its entirety, but it's very, very good, and one of my personal favourite Mosaic boxes!

Just ordered this along with the Boogie Woogie Select, which I noticed afterwards is backordered until APRIL (of 2010, I presume). :blink:

Must have been a web site error--just got a shipping notice for both sets, and the page for the Boogie Woogie Select no longer indicates that it's backordered. :rolleyes:

Just ordered this along with the Boogie Woogie Select, which I noticed afterwards is backordered until APRIL (of 2010, I presume). :blink:

Must have been a web site error--just got a shipping notice for both sets, and the page for the Boogie Woogie Select no longer indicates that it's backordered. :rolleyes:

And they both arrived this afternoon! :excited:

Wow - that's quick. :crazy:

Edited by sidewinder

Wow - that's quick. :crazy:

Surprised the heck out of me! Ordered on Tuesday afternoon, received a "next 24 hours" shipping notice on Wednesday morning, and retrieved them from my front porch on Wednesday afternoon! :blink:

In a way I'm kind of glad this one went to "Running Low" status as it forced me to order it and to use a Mosaic gift card that I had stashed and kept meaning to use. It should be here next week sometime. :cool: :cool: :cool:

My Complete H.R.S. Sessions set arrived this morning, I only had a quick look through the booklet so far but it looks good. Nice to see pictures of someone working in a record shop wearing a suit and tie. :D :D :D

In a way I'm kind of glad this one went to "Running Low" status as it forced me to order it and to use a Mosaic gift card that I had stashed and kept meaning to use. It should be here next week sometime. :cool: :cool: :cool:

My Complete H.R.S. Sessions set arrived this morning, I only had a quick look through the booklet so far but it looks good. Nice to see pictures of someone working in a record shop wearing a suit and tie. :D :D :D

Hellyeah! People these days just don't know how to dress... they behave like they're in their living rooms, wherever they actually are, no matter if it's some cathedral or whatever... tourists are the worst, of course!

Anyway, that package made a real fast passage! It's a fantastic set, much of it is first rate, the rest is good, and even that Brick Fleagle disc of rehearsing band sessions is pretty nice!

Anyway, that package made a real fast passage! It's a fantastic set, much of it is first rate, the rest is good, and even that Brick Fleagle disc of rehearsing band sessions is pretty nice!

Wow - you guys got your sets already? :o

Just hope my snail-mail packet steamer doesn't hit the rocks !

Got mine several years ago :)

No dilemma here. This one has been sitting on my shelves for a while.... :w

Hopefully that doesn't mean sitting and collecting dust. :huh: I'm still deciding this one.

What a shame Mosaic don't work with DHL any longer. USPS are no way near as good as DHL and my last parcel arrived in poor condition.

Hmmm, I've had just the opposite experience. I'm actually glad Mosaic doesn't use DHL anymore and gives you the option of USPS Priority Mail instead. I've got a whole cubicle wall full of black box covers as remnants of battered parcels that I sheepishly had to ask Mosaic to replace, sometimes more than once per order. Two-day DHL from Stamford to San Diego was notoriously bad (at least for me).

On the bright side, my cube looks kind of cool and is the model for our department! :cool:

Here we go again with USPS. This is now the third parcel I've received from Mosaic that is in bad condition. These guys (or our guys at Royal Mail) must have been playing football with Anthony Braxton and Johnny Mercer! The outer box is in dire condition, as well as two corners of the booklet. Even the inner tray is battered. As usual, Mosaic have kindly agreed to send me a replacement box but I feel more and more embarrassed having to ask for this. I did mention to Mosaic that sticking 'fragile' signs on parcels wouldn't go a miss.

Edited by ASNL77

Here we go again with USPS. This is now the third parcel I've received from Mosaic that is in bad condition. These guys (or our guys at Royal Mail) must have been playing football with Anthony Braxton and Johnny Mercer!

Out of interest, are you choosing the "US Air Mail" option or "UPS International"? I haven't happened to order from Mosaic since the company dropped DHL, but I always went for the courier option because it was quicker, Royal Mail wasn't involved and the package had to be signed for, plus it cost the same anyway.

Here we go again with USPS. This is now the third parcel I've received from Mosaic that is in bad condition. These guys (or our guys at Royal Mail) must have been playing football with Anthony Braxton and Johnny Mercer!

Out of interest, are you choosing the "US Air Mail" option or "UPS International"? I haven't happened to order from Mosaic since the company dropped DHL, but I always went for the courier option because it was quicker, Royal Mail wasn't involved and the package had to be signed for, plus it cost the same anyway.

I went for UPS International and it was delivered by Parcelforce and not by Royal Mail as I originally thought. So I do apologise to all the Royal Mail posties who read this forum everyday... Not too sure what option is best but it's a real drag to have to beg for a replacement even if Mosaic customer services are always fantastic. I now find myself with quite a few battered Mosaic boxes and creased booklets but I guess I will be able to sell these empty boxes for $300 dollars each in ten years time. :cool:

Edited by ASNL77

... I now find myself with quite a few battered Mosaic boxes and creased booklets but I guess I will be able to sell these empty boxes for $300 dollars each in ten years time. :cool:

They make great wall art! I've got Parlan, Turrentine, Teagarden, and Farmer/Golson decorating my cubicle right now, with a couple of others awaiting their rotation. Each box cover is bruised, but you can only tell close up.

I actually have two battered Turrentines and Farmer/Golsons because DHL couldn't even deliver an empty box to me without beating the crap out of it.

I'm using the US Air Mail option always. Never had a battered box... the worst was maybe a slightly nudged (is that a correct word?) outer box, but just on one corner. Didn't bother to have that replaced. The only thing I had replaced was a Django box I crushed by accident (they offered one for free!) and the booklet of the Capitol set which had a cut corner on one page (no text missing, but still).

I went for UPS International and it was delivered by Parcelforce and not by Royal Mail as I originally thought.

What's odd about that is that Parcelforce would normally handle the delivery at the UK end if you had opted for Airmail. DHL and, before that, Airborne Express always handled the whole delivery process if you went for the courier option, so surely UPS should do the same.

I've only used US Airmail once before on a Mosaic order, by mistake. My boxed set (the Berigan) was delivered by Parcelforce unharmed, but I had to go to a depot quite far from my home to pick it up.