which exact batches ofRvG's did have copy control?

JohnBlutarski

I haven't been on the forum for a while, but I know that for the best information, this is the place to be.

I the past, I did read here from which exact batch till which batch the Blue note RvG's did have copy control. I tried to get this info through the search option, but apparently I'm doing something wrong. Hope one of you experts can help me.

It's kinda ironic that they tried that

I think the word you were looking for was "idiotic". :crazy:

The worst thing is that even now that this copy protection nonsense has ended,

it's still very risky to buy copies of these albums online because you can never

be 100% sure that you'll get one of the re-printed copies without CP.

Gerry Mulligan - Jeru

Bob Brookmeyer - & Friends

Woody Shaw - Stepping Stones

Dexter Gordon - Manhattan Symphonies

I think that was the whole batch. In fact the last ever jazz reissues coming from Sony (except for Miles and Duke and Brubeck and other commercially viable stuff).

Maybe there were others in that batch. Also, this time it was the US versions that were "dangerous", while the Euro versions seem to have been regular CDs.

(edited to make a single post of this quadruple or quintuple post... org sucks or late!)

Edited by king ubu

it's still very risky to buy copies of these albums online because you can never be 100% sure that you'll get one of the re-printed copies without CP.

What's "risky"? Annoying, maybe, but no risk at all.

The discs themselves play perfectly in any CD player - the copy protection is not audible. Cactus Shield's copy protection technique is so easily avoided that it's laughable. All you have to do is shut off "auto start" or hold down the shift key when inserting the CD into the PC. I have been able to copy and rip every "copy protected" CD I ever bought, including the infamous Sony CDs with the rootkit.

Kevin

it's still very risky to buy copies of these albums online because you can never be 100% sure that you'll get one of the re-printed copies without CP.

What's "risky"? Annoying, maybe, but no risk at all.

The discs themselves play perfectly in any CD player - the copy protection is not audible. Cactus Shield's copy protection technique is so easily avoided that it's laughable. All you have to do is shut off "auto start" or hold down the shift key when inserting the CD into the PC. I have been able to copy and rip every "copy protected" CD I ever bought, including the infamous Sony CDs with the rootkit.

Kevin

Well, the rootkit did affect some people's computers and it was highly invasive and in fact illegal in several EU countries, at least according to some interpretations of the law(s).

One of the other rootkit ones was Art Blakey Drum Suite.

Gerry Mulligan - Jeru

Bob Brookmeyer - & Friends

Woody Shaw - Stepping Stones

Dexter Gordon - Manhattan Symphonies

I think that was the whole batch. In fact the last ever jazz reissues coming from Sony (except for Miles and Duke and Brubeck and other commercially viable stuff).

Maybe there were others in that batch. Also, this time it was the US versions that were "dangerous", while the Euro versions seem to have been regular CDs.

Also:

Art Blakey - Drum Suite

Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto - The Best of Two Worlds

Ahmad Jamal - Okeh & Epic Recordings (recently reissued in Europe)

Horace Silver - Silver's Blue

I recall reading that the copy protection on these discs affected the sound quality, but can't say for certain as I never heard them.

As for the copy protected European EMI discs, they sound fine and I've personally never had a problem copying any of them to iTunes. In any case, they have all but disappeared from stores.

Ah, thanks, I have the old versions of the Blakey and the Silver and recently got a Euro-Jamal (the 2004 or so reissue, didn't see a more recent one, was there one in the new Sony cheapo series without liner notes? Those with the beige borders?), the Getz seemed of little interest, there's so much Getz around (and I have dozens of his discs).

I've been unable to rip those cactus discs from EMI, but I'm not using iTunes... EAC didn't work.

As far as I understand, the Sony ones (US only) were dangerous.

The EMI ones (yurp only) aren't dangerous but they have "errors" (to prevent us from stealing our own music or some such...).

They still turn up in the sales bins here, but most of them have been around in non-CC versions by now as well.

• 2 weeks later...

European EMI releases between July 2003 and May 2006 had it. Note that some of these have been reprinted later without any "copy control".

thanks for the info, Swinging Swede and others... s

o the 2006 Conns, which were released on 06/06/2006 should all be without, that is good news...

JB

• 3 weeks later...

Weird...

I just ordered and received a CD (The RvG Stanley Turrentine's "That's What It's At", from 2005), especially ordered it from a US Internet store,

and it looked kind of weird:

It was the first RvG in a normal black jewelcase, instead of the see-through with "Rudy van Gelder" printed on it's spine,

but, more important, on the back it says: "printed in the USA", and still had copy control on it! And also strange, the CD in it, (with copy control) had "printed in the EU" on it...)

There goes my simple system of buying all Blue Note's in the period of copy control in the US...

JB

That's odd. I don't think EMI would deliberately sell Copycontrol CDs in the US, after what happened to Sony.

Maybe it was a CD that was "returned" to CD Universe by a customer.

Don't think so, on the back of the tray it says both "copy control" and "printed in the USA".

And now I remove the black tray, beneath it, copy control is also printed.

I have one weird one as well... Freddie Hubbard's "Blue Spirits" (2004). Bought in a local store, it's a weird mix: the paperwork (cover and tray) says "printed in the US", the disc is "made in the EU", the inner spine is clear and has the RVG logo on the full lenght (i.e. like the non-cc Euro-releases looked, initially... the ones that were cc and then turned back to regular CD have an empty space there, where the cc-logo would be).

So looking at it from the front, you'd think ok, this is a normal CD. Same from the back, except that it has the FBI warning thingie, which I've never seen on a European CD. There is NO indication on the outside, that this is a cc disc, but the disc contained inside IS a cc disc! I bought this one sealed out of a large BN sale, and I didn't notice in time to bring it back, but I was quite mad when I found out about it.

From the outside, it all looks regular (except for the FBI warning, but then that would be one more indication that - provided it's a US disc! - it's a regular CD), but inside, an effing cactus is hidden!

I just ordered and received a CD (The RvG Stanley Turrentine's "That's What It's At", from 2005), especially ordered it from a US Internet store,

and it looked kind of weird:

It was the first RvG in a normal black jewelcase, instead of the see-through with "Rudy van Gelder" printed on it's spine,

but, more important, on the back it says: "printed in the USA", and still had copy control on it! And also strange, the CD in it, (with copy control) had "printed in the EU" on it...)

There goes my simple system of buying all Blue Note's in the period of copy control in the US...

You should be able to tell them apart by the catalog number:

The US edition is 0946 3 11494 2 9, whereas the EU edition is 0946 3 11495 2 8.

If the printed artwork and the disc have different catalog numbers, then someone somewhere made a swap.

Edited by hprill0

Crap - that's the case with my Hubbard "Blue Spirits"!

The CD has 7243 5 94318 2 6 (made in EU)

The paperwork (all of it) has 7243 5 94317 2 7 (made in the US)

This was bought sealed in a local (Swiss) store and was definitely new and untouched!

I guess I'll drop Blue Note an email about it, as it sucks even more having a copycrap disc when it shouldn't be one (I bought a few Conns because they were cheap, so I'm ok with that, but not with this, were I intended to buy a regular non-CC disc!)

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm..

It was only released in 2005.. but a US RvG version of Leo Parker's "Let Me Tell You 'Bout It" is 99$ and up on amazon, while the European version, with copy control, on amazon.co.uk is only 6.54 English Pounds...

The dollar is taking a pounding :g

Sorry 'bout that. Couldn't resist.

MG