A DEEP OLIVE BRANCH TO CHRISTIERN

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

deus (My Lord),

The way I heard it re Thad's chop problems was that one night he was sitting in a car with the window closed and a jealous boyfriend or husband came up to the car and put his fist through the window and into Thad's teeth.

FWIW, that's the story I heard too.

Wasn't Thad back to playing at least a little bit of flugelhorn by the time he took over the Basie band? Not sure about that, though...

On a different subject:

Anybody got good recommendations for speakers?

I have a set of Genesis that I'm trying to keep alive. I've had them since 1985.

I've had the midrange refoamed and am awaiting the arrival of the Bass Resonators which I took in to be refoamed last week. I love these speakers and refuse to give up the ship as long as I can keep them going.

I have several other sets of speakers throughout my estate but these are my favorites. I know they got balls when I hear my wife banging on the walls from our South wing when I get too loaded and horse on'em.

SsssSSSSHHHHHHH.

I think I hear the Governor comin' 'round the bend.

DEEP

By the way: this year's Thad Jones Competition in DK also led to the reissue of Thad Jones & The Danish Radio Big Band Live at Montmartre (1978).

I was in the audience, as always. Great concert with some really, really good players, especially Allan Botschinsky (tp), Jesper Thilo (ss,as,cl & flute) and Bent Jædig (ts & flute). The latter two I saw at one of the more recent Copenhagen Jazz Festivals (they usually play at least one big band date in "Kongens Have", a park in central Copenhagen). They were just smokin'.

CD details: here

Cheers!

On a different subject:

I have a set of Genesis that I'm trying to keep alive. I've had them since 1985.

I've had the midrange refoamed and am awaiting the arrival of the Bass Resonators which I took in to be refoamed last week. I love these speakers and refuse to give up the ship as long as I can keep them going.

I have several other sets of speakers throughout my estate but these are my favorites. I know they got balls when I hear my wife banging on the walls from our South wing when I get too loaded and horse on'em.

SsssSSSSHHHHHHH.

DEEP

What do you want your speakers to be able to do? (warm, analytical, bass-heavy, etc.)

How much are you willing to invest?

Which amp will you be using (tube, Class A, etc.).

Cheers!

On a different subject:

SsssSSSSHHHHHHH.

DEEP

What do you want your speakers to be able to do? (warm, analytical, bass-heavy, etc.)

How much are you willing to invest?

Which amp will you be using (tube, Class A, etc.).

Cheers!

Basically I want to know what would be a good replacement for these when they finally bite the dust.

I use NAD amplifiers.

I've compared these Genitals with Bose and these carve Bose a new asshole.

Money is no object....I'M RICH and believe it or not...I'VE NEVER WORKED A DAY IN MY LIFE!!

SsssssSSSSHHHHHH

Is that the Governor way off in the BUSH!!

DEEP

Now that is funny. :g

catesta(pated),

What the hell is so funny about that?

SssssSSSSHHHHHH

He's lurking.

DEEP

Basically I want to know what would be a good replacement for these when they finally bite the dust.

I use NAD amplifiers.

I've compared these Genitals with Bose and these carve Bose a new asshole.

Money is no object....I'M RICH and believe it or not...I'VE NEVER WORKED A DAY IN MY LIFE!!

[...]

Hm. I'm too lazy to read up on the Genesis speakers. I've just heard lots of good stuff about them. As far as I recall, a year or two ago a mail-order dealer was getting rid of Genesis sets at a ridiculously low price. Would have to check my old mags.

Forget about Bose. That's like driving a Porsche and switching over to a Beetle.

Try to describe what you like about your Genesis and I could maybe come up with some suggestions. It really depends on your personal listening habits.

I have Dynaudio speakers (Denmark) but B&W speakers could be just the right thing for you. If you are in fact so rich, check out their "Nautilus" line. GREAT speakers!

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm?fuseac...Submit=Continue

100% recommendation by me!

Cheers!

Edited by deus62

Deep,

I gotta go and do some massive cleaning here - the place looks like shite.

I'll be back later.

re the B&W speakers: From the CDM 9T up, they have won just about every prize/test and whatnot across the globe. You can't go wrong with those. I have heard them all and they are simply brilliant. Probably the best around, although there are of course also other competitors (who usually don't have such a solid line of grade A speakers, but single equally good speakers).

Cheers!

deus (My Lord),

CLASP!!

I guess the correct bass sound is important to me.

I hate that Kicker / Boom sound that the Rockers want to get out of their speakers.

Take Miles "Four & More" or "Seven Steps To Heaven" and get Ron's true bass sound and I'm cool. Even THE GREAT JAZZ TRIO is a good barometer.

Where in hell is my answer from CHRISTIERN?

I gotta make a move on this soon and I don't want him to lose out on the G Note that ROMPIN' RECORDS is willing to lay on him.

DEEP

deus (My Lord),

CLASP!!

I guess the correct bass sound is important to me.

I hate that Kicker / Boom sound that the Rockers want to get out of their speakers.

Take Miles "Four & More" or "Seven Steps To Heaven" and get Ron's true bass sound and I'm cool. Even THE GREAT JAZZ TRIO is a good barometer.

Where in hell is my answer from CHRISTIERN?

I gotta make a move on this soon and I don't want him to lose out on the G Note that ROMPIN' RECORDS is willing to lay on him.

DEEP

Yep,

find a place to check out the B&W ... no idea if there is one 'round your place.

Believe me, you'll find them to be just what you want. They reproduce music the way it was recorded. None of that added bass/trebble etc. crap. Just the way it's supposed to sound (and the way your amp repoduces it ... NAD makes good amps, so you should be in the clear there).

BTW: Consider a good connector between CD player/turntable and amp as well as decent speaker cables (if you don't have those already). It's no hifi gobbledegook ... those two elements can and probably will help the speakers to develop their true potential.

Cheers!

Now I'm off ...

Let me put it this way:

We're a FOUR piano family. I even have one in our carriage house so if I'm on the way to a recording session and come up with a last minute idea I don't have to go back in the house to use my Yamaha C-7 Conservatory Grand.

I have a 1929 Model A Ford that is the first car I ever owned (which is one of four). Just did an off the frame restoration and am winning prizes at all antique meets I attend.

Here's where the digit enters:

On my wall in my WET BAR hangs a plaque. It's for the sale of 1,000,000 units for a record I did with the Glenn Miller Orch.

The title of that CD is "IN THE CHRISTMAS MOOD".

We did a second one entitled "IN THE CHRISTMAS MOOD II".

We did a third one entitled "IN THE NUTCRACKER MOOD".

All three were a co-operative effort.

To date the three have amassed sales exceeding 4,000,000.

BTW: Pick them up if you see them. They're swingin' and are also good Christmas Music. One tune was used in the movie "While we were sleeping" starring Sandra Bullock.

I get checks from Disney productions for that.

Jazz doesn't sell shit but we're in the second pressing of the first Big Band Bloviation and Vol. Two is on the way.

I've never worked a day in my life. I'd go as far as to say A DAY'S WORK WOULDN'T KILL ME BUT IT SURE AS SHIT WOULD PUT ME IN THE HOSPITAL!!

I was in the Army Band program 1965-1968 but I have to consider that as TRAINING rather than work.

Get those Miller Christmas CDs on Laserlight. My coffers could use a BUMP (and I need a BUMP too...DIG?).

I didn't get my digit by writing a book about a dead foul mouthed Blues Singer. I got it the old fashioned way...by GETTING DRUNK AND LETTING THE TAPES ROLL

Anybody seen the governor?

DEEP

Right on.. I even started a "Drummer's Corner" which Sir Deepness hasn't responded much to.. "How does Deep tune and muffle his bass drum? I guess I'll never know.. :mellow:

Randall,

This has plagued me my entire recording career. (Not that my recording career has been that prolific).

On the Maynard Ferguson "Chameleon" album I got murdered by the sandbag on the bass drum. The Woody 40th Anniversay Carnegie Hall Concert was OK but it was live.

I finally asked Mel Lewis how he dealt with his bass drum.

He told me to use NO muffling on the front head and only take a paper napkin, folded up, and tape it on the back head next to where the bass drum beater strikes the head.

I think he knew what he was talking about. Of course this is for a Jazz sound. Rock is another ball game.

SsssSSSHHHHHHH

I hear toilets flushing.

DEEP

Sir. Deepness,

Thanks for info.. :tup

Here's where the digit enters:

On my wall in my WET BAR hangs a plaque. It's for the sale of 1,000,000 units for a record I did with the Glenn Miller Orch.

The title of that CD is "IN THE CHRISTMAS MOOD".

We did a second one entitled "IN THE CHRISTMAS MOOD II".

We did a third one entitled "IN THE NUTCRACKER MOOD".

All three were a co-operative effort.

To date the three have amassed sales exceeding 4,000,000.

BTW: Pick them up if you see them. They're swingin' and are also good Christmas Music. One tune was used in the movie "While we were sleeping" starring Sandra Bullock.

I get checks from Disney productions for that.

I see.

Well I'm glad to know we are in the same tax bracket. ;)

As for the CDs you mention, I have "IN THE CHRISTMAS MOOD", and gave one to my parents a couple of years ago (but you never heard me say that..., DIG?).

Here's an idea... This thread should be renamed something like,, "Deep's World",, or maybe even start another thread .. Anyone wanting to interact with Sir. Deepness could simply go to this thread or ignore it... Deep of course could visit and interact with other threads like "Drummer's Corner" (hint hint) :D