Rock lps that make you glad you have a turntable

jazzhound

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

TOWER OF POWER "EAST BAY GREASE" (SAN FRANCISCO RECORDS)

DEEP

Edited by DEEP (GET ME OUT OF MY SKULL)

Dave Mason - "Alone Together", because it's fun to watch that marblized vinyl go round-n-round.

Also, I have 2 promotional albums that Polygram issued in the 70's where the groove starts in the middle and ends on the outside. Pretty trippy! They're called "Counterrevolutionary music for in-store play" and "33 1/3" is printed in giant type.....backwards.

Stones-Aftermath (British import)

Beatles-Revolver (British)

Velvet Underground--1st album

Richard Hell & the Voidoids--Blank Generation

The Clash--1st album (British, of course)

Ramones--1st & 3rd albums

Eno--Another Green World

Pere Ubu--The Modern Dance

The Minutemen--What Makes A Man Start Fires?

Television--both albums

The Kinks--Something Else, Face To Face

Stones-Aftermath (British import)

Beatles-Revolver (British)

Velvet Underground--1st album

Richard Hell & the Voidoids--Blank Generation

The Clash--1st album (British, of course)

Ramones--1st & 3rd albums

Eno--Another Green World

Pere Ubu--The Modern Dance

The Minutemen--What Makes A Man Start Fires?

Television--both albums

The Kinks--Something Else, Face To Face

Wow! I can't argue with those. Good lookin' out.....

I might also mention Neil Young On the Beach. I know it's on CD now but the mix sounds funny to these ears and that's EASILY my favorite Neil Young record. Also, anything by the Feelies, the Soft Boys, Yo La Tengo, Slint, the Soft Machine, Kevin Ayers, Robert Wyatt, Galaxie 500, the Jesus Lizard, the Pixies, Low, and Stereolab (when they still played real instruments). And it goes without saying that any session produced by Steve Albini is going to sound considerably better on LP.

Malo's "Dos" and "Evolution" because they haven't been reissued.

There's a Malo box set now on Rhino Handmade that is their complete Warner recordings.

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/

Are those good? I've been debating whether to take the plunge, or whether the Best of is enough. I had the Best of, but it disappeared from my office once upon a time, never to be seen since.

Malo's "Dos" and "Evolution" because they haven't been reissued.

There's a Malo box set now on Rhino Handmade that is their complete Warner recordings.

http://www.rhinohandmade.com/

Are those good? I've been debating whether to take the plunge, or whether the Best of is enough. I had the Best of, but it disappeared from my office once upon a time, never to be seen since.

You fiend. :g Cant resist-gasp-must spend money- It really depends on how much you like the group. I have the best of at home and it has some good stuff though I think they edited some of the extended numbers and those really cook!!!

Traffic- The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys (Try reproducing that album cover for a cd release)

Allman Brothers- Live At The Fillmore (You ain't heard the album until you've listened to a good vinyl copy)

Santana- First Album (CD versions suck compared to good old vinyl)

Van Morrison- Tupelo Honey

Neville Brothers- Fiyo On The Bayou

I think Adventure is an underrated album (the only real problem is that side two isn't as good as side one). I, too, would have mentioned The Feelies and The Soft Boys (and Wire) but I felt the list was getting long as it was. I've since gotten CD copies of quite a few of the albums on my list, but for me there's nothing to compare with the experiance of buying an intriguing LP, getting it home, putting the needle in the groove, and having it blow your mind.

Good call on The Feelies. And many great 80s bar bands such as Scruffy the Cat never turned up on CD. Some of those records and EPs which evoke early to mid-80s nights at Maxwells are among my favorite vinyl treasures.

Speaking of 80's rock only on lp, one of my alltime favorites is Roman Holliday: Cookin' on the Roof. It has that early 80's jump/jive rock feel that was big with English bands. It is a true unknown gem.

Blodwyn Pig - Be-Bop Deluxe - Lynn County - Keef Hartley - Pink Fairies - Nick Drake - Batdorf & Rodney - Lonnie Liston Smith & the Cosmic Echoes - The Who Live at Leeds - Blue Cheer - Iron Butterfly - Vanilla Fudge - John Martyn - Upp - Sad Cafe - Dan Hicks & the Hot Licks - Sons of Champlin - the very first ZZ Top album - pre-soft rock Fleetwood Mac - Nazz...I could go on and on.

Up over and out.

The Beatles-Sgt. Pepper

Jimi Hendrix-Electric Ladyland (nekkid cover)

The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown-The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown

The Rolling Stones-Let It Bleed

The Band-Music From Big Pink

The Band-The Band (brown album)

The Band-Rock Of Ages

<edit for forgetting a couple>

Edited by jacman