LPs issued on CD with unbonus track

David Ayers

Well according to the rear sleeve of the LP (which I don't own: http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/prlp/prlp7094.html ) Just Squeeze Me *was* on the LP. And Steve Hoffman includes it on his DCC version. So where does that leave us?

I don't know whose version of Cookin' this is, but the original LP had When Lights Are Low in place of Just Squeeze Me.

When Lights Are Low is mislabeled as Just Squeeze Me on the original lp.

That explains it!

Chuck is right, "Just Squeeze Me" was recorded on November 16, 1955 and released on Miles, along with the other songs recorded on that date; it was not part of the May 5 and October 26, 1956 sessions that were originally released on Cookin', Steamin', Relaxin' and Workin'. On his forum Hoffman has stated that the inclusion of the song on the DCC version of Cookin' was an error.

A lot of Hat Arts have missing tracks on CD reissues: Steve Lacy's Prospectus and Capers, Sun Ra's Sunrise in Different Dimensions, Vienna Art Orchestra's Suite for the Green Eighties, etc.

On some of the Fantasy reissues of 2 LPs on 1 CD, they would sometimes trim tracks rather than cut them entirely. Woody Shaw's first album and Dizzy Gillespie's Bahianna are a couple of examples.

Another "missing" Prestige track.

Coleman Hawkins & Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Night Hawk

The original LP release was duplicated for the reissue, the early 70's version of the LP added an extra track "Lover" to the tracklist...they then forgot it and didn't include it with the OJC CD release of the album.

Collectables reissued 2 Columbia Denny Zeitlin LPs (Cathexis and Carnival)on 1 CD. They left out 4 songs from Carnival. They did reveal this on the liner notes, but I bought this CD thinking I would get both LPs complete and was I surprised! Unfortunately I didn't get the notes until after I bought the CD.

The Mosaic Select is the way to go with the Zeitlin Columbia material. You get the complete albums plus a fair amount of previously unissued material.

Collectables reissued 2 Columbia Denny Zeitlin LPs (Cathexis and Carnival)on 1 CD. They left out 4 songs from Carnival. They did reveal this on the liner notes, but I bought this CD thinking I would get both LPs complete and was I surprised! Unfortunately I didn't get the notes until after I bought the CD.

When Blue Note 'untangled' original LPs in a fad for restoring the 'original' sessions, as they did with their 1980s CD releases of The Sermon and House Party, and with The Turnaround/No Room for Squares, they dropped the original LP contents altogether, which was in a way fine, but meant for example that you got an otherwise very full edition of The Sermon without J.O.S.

When Blue Note 'untangled' original LPs in a fad for restoring the 'original' sessions, as they did with their 1980s CD releases of The Sermon and House Party, and with The Turnaround/No Room for Squares, they dropped the original LP contents altogether, which was in a way fine, but meant for example that you got an otherwise very full edition of The Sermon without J.O.S.

And then they dropped most of the bonus tracks when The Sermon and House Party were RVGed.

Now I have another "missing track" question concerning a Prestige date. Mildred Anderson's Person to Person - the cd has 8 tracks but Ruppli's Prestige book says an additional tune (Ebb Tide) was on the lp. Anyone know if it really was originally issued?

Ruppli is wrong:

Mildred_Anderson_Side_1.jpgMildred_Anderson_Side_2.jpgMildred_Anderson_Back_Cover.jpg

Hank Mobley/Messages (prestige)....track: alternating current. i actually think i dont even have it, may be the only mobe track i dont have-- i refuse to settle on the 70s 'messages' issue, im holding out for at least some nice blue label prestige issues if not better (yellow label)

Edited by chewy

Hank Mobley/Messages (prestige)....track: alternating current. i actually think i dont even have it, may be the only mobe track i dont have-- i refuse to settle on the 70s 'messages' issue, im holding out for at least some nice blue label prestige issues if not better (yellow label)

The Japanese CD reissue (VICJ 41199) of the original vinyl release should be easier (and cheaper) to find. It includes all six tracks from Mobley's Message.

nooooooooooooooo!!! vangelder stamps!!!!!!!excited.gif

ok i have a q: what is that "RW" marking on the back of the lp in the pic above? what do those letter stampers mean, ive seen those on other jazz lps w/ other letters and stuff....ie 'S'

RW = Return Waived. This was an early way of marking promos and cutouts so that they could not be returned to distributors for credit. Later most companies took to drilling or saw cutting the jacket.