Tete Montoliu - where to start?

riverrat

Prompted by a post by brownie in the ongoing "What are you listening to" thread, I checked into Spanish pianist Tete Montoliu a bit on Amazon and AMG. By those reviews it appears he has a lengthy catalog with many fine releases, in a style that it appears I would like.

Sooo...where to start? What are some particularly noteworthy sessions by him? Do any stand out as especially consistent, interesting, well-recorded, etc?

I first became interested in Tete after hearing tapes of a couple amazing duo concerts that he did with Bobby Hutcherson. I see them still floating around the web from time to time. It would be nice if they could get some sort of official release.

Edited by John L

That one Cologne concert by Hutcherson & Tete is indeed amazing!

Hard to single out any particular starting points with Tete - there are so many trio releases and most of them are good to very good! A highly consistent artist!

EKE BBB would be best qualified to give you some hints - I'll ask him to drop by here!

Oh, some collaborations might be a good starting point, too... there are albums with Lucky Thompson, Ben Webster, Dusko Goykovich... and there's also "It's About Blues Time", recorded in quintet with Dusko and Ferdinand Povel.

And of course great solo releases as well...

EKE BBB is the real Tete Montoliu expert here! Lend a close ear to his recommendations when he comes in...

Meanwhile here are a couple of favorites albums:

the full 'The Music I Like to Play' (4 CDs) series on Soul Note, I like vol. 3

61hZWOxrcOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

but the other three are really excellent too!

Another favorite is (but there are so many more) this Timeless CD from an evening at Keystone Corner

Montoliu-1979-Live-At-The-Keystone-Corner.jpg

and another vote for the Montoliu-Hutcherson concert music. That's one that NEEDS to be released!

That one Cologne concert by Hutcherson & Tete is indeed amazing!

Yes, it was that Cologne concert of mostly Monk tunes that really grabbed me first. There is also this one recorded in Barcelona 4 years earlier. It is maybe not as consistently engaging as Cologne, but it is an excellent recording, nevertheless. As I understand, it was issued in very limited quantities on some sort of "private" label:

BobbyHutchersonTeteMontoliu-SalaBekiniBarcelona_May1987.jpg

Start with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzWFLZ0OSfg

It's the performance and recording that deservedly made him famous, IIRC.

A strong second from my quarter -- tremendous playing. Tete, Niels-Henning, Tootie Heath. The double-time, "Coltrane Changes" version of "Body and Soul" is the highlight for me. This clip merges parts of "Giant Steps," "Body and Soul" and "Hot House" from the record: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTTRxczyCMM

The other record I return to is a fantastic duo side with George Coleman -- especially for an epic version of "Sophisticated Lady." http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H4N3S4/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk6

I'm also a big fan of his solo playing, including a lovely recording of Catalan Folk Songs.

Otherwise, I would note that I've heard any number of his records in which he sounded on automatic pilot. He always sounds good but not necessarily inspired, at least to my ears. But those listed above are dynamite.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Start with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzWFLZ0OSfg

It's the performance and recording that deservedly made him famous, IIRC.

A strong second from my quarter -- tremendous playing. Tete, Niels-Henning, Tootie Heath. The double-time, "Coltrane Changes" version of "Body and Soul" is the highlight for me. This clip merges parts of "Giant Steps," "Body and Soul" and "Hot House" from the record: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTTRxczyCMM

The other record I return to is a fantastic duo side with George Coleman -- especially for an epic version of "Sophisticated Lady." http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H4N3S4/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk6

I'm also a big fan of his solo playing, including a lovely recording of Catalan Folk Songs.

Otherwise, I would note that I've heard any number of his records in which he sounded on automatic pilot. He always sounds good but not necessarily inspired, at least to my ears. But those listed above are dynamite.

I came here to sing the praises of the duo album with George Coleman but I see I'm too late.

I strongly recommend the mid '70s Steeplechase recordings, specifically TETE!, CATALONIAN FIRE (these 2 were released on a double Steeplechase CD set, titled HOT HOUSE), and TOOTIE'S TEMPO. I'm convinced these are the best of his trio recordings.

Also, nobody has mentioned the Steeplechase dates he did as a sideman for Anthony Braxton, titled IN THE TRADITION, Vols 1 & 2 (also available as a double Steeplechase CD set). His playing particularly on the lengthy track "Lush Life" is just terrific, a real personal favorite to listen to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I started with Catalonian Fire and like it a lot.

I've read that Tete's playing has elements of McCoy Tyner and Art Tatum and I can see where those comparisons come from..

As a fan and admirer of Tete for more than thirty years, I think his best recordings were from the Rosenberg Studio sessions in Copenhagen in May 1974. To add other titles to ones mentioned previously from these sessions, I think "Falling In Love With Love" and "Sweet Georgie Fame".

NHOP and Al "Tootie" Heath, were a wonderful rhythm section for him. Although Tete's favourite rhythm section was John Heard and Billy Higgins.

So ofter Tete's recordings were marred by either out of tune pianos or pedestrian rhythm sections. Even so, he still managed memorable performances, despite those.

Other selections to listen to, are the Steeplechase 1982 duo with NHOP which is wonderful, and also a session he did in 1975 again in Copenhagen with Buddy Tate, Where he blew everybody off the stage, despite elements of the previous paragraph.

I've put some Tete on Youtube, and I'm glad to see one of them has had over 35,000 hits

• 11 months later...

What he said with the addition of the solo concert in Boston - also on SteepleChase.

That's fabulous, with one of my favorite versions of I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry. About the only Tete recording I didn't like was the one on Concord with Tana & Reid--Tana being a much too heavy-handed a drummer for him.

My favorite bassist for Tete is NHOP. I like the duo and trio sessions.

The two volumes of duos with Mundell Lowe are fantastic too.

I've read that Tete's playing has elements of McCoy Tyner and Art Tatum and I can see where those comparisons come from..

Interesting, but I've never heard either in his playing. I find his touch very similar to Chick Corea when Chick plays standards.