THE worst version of "Christmas Time is Here"

Big Al

While on hold with the bank, I heard THE most excruciating version of "Christmas Time is Here." I don't know who it is, and I can't even find it in a search on Google or anything. All I know is it has a maddeningly bad single-note twangy guitar played pretty much throughout. I am imploring my fellow Bored members, and anyone with good taste, to help me identify this "artist" so I can tell her how much I appreciate her fucking awful song ruining my Christmas cheer today. God Almighty, I would rather sit though a fucking Kenny G Xmas album than to sit through that crap again! :rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad:

There. I feel a little better.

While on hold with the bank, I heard THE most excruciating version of "Christmas Time is Here." I don't know who it is, and I can't even find it in a search on Google or anything. All I know is it has a maddeningly bad single-note twangy guitar played pretty much throughout. I am imploring my fellow Bored members, and anyone with good taste, to help me identify this "artist" so I can tell her how much I appreciate her fucking awful song ruining my Christmas cheer today. God Almighty, I would rather sit though a fucking Kenny G Xmas album than to sit through that crap again! :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad:

No idea who it might be, but when you find out, have Jennifer Engle give 'em a call...

While on hold with the bank, I heard THE most excruciating version of "Christmas Time is Here." I don't know who it is, and I can't even find it in a search on Google or anything. All I know is it has a maddeningly bad single-note twangy guitar played pretty much throughout. I am imploring my fellow Bored members, and anyone with good taste, to help me identify this "artist" so I can tell her how much I appreciate her fucking awful song ruining my Christmas cheer today. God Almighty, I would rather sit though a fucking Kenny G Xmas album than to sit through that crap again! :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad: :rmad:

No idea who it might be, but when you find out, have Jennifer Engle give 'em a call...

I [bleep]ing LOVE The Little Ball of Hate, as she's called around here! One of my favorites!

Cartoons_Droopy+Dog.jpg

"...there were also numerous incomplete takes and false starts, which offer a compelling document of my performance as it evolved."

That version knocked me colder'n a wet mackerel!

Any one (or maybe two, depending on which two) of the stylistic elements in that stew could have made for a good (enough) track. But they're all just thrown together as if the expectation of the listener is that they'll pick one, latch on to it, and ignore the others, either individually or collectively.

Fail, Jars of Clay, a band my son hipped me to about 10 years ago, when they were a reasonably interesting "alternative" "Christian" band. Whatever this is an alternative to, I think the alternative to the alternative might not be nearly as bad.

The local shop owners association used to sponsor a public address system on our main shopping street. Every year, without fail, starting around the middle of November we would have what seemed like an endless repeater tape of Brenda Lee ' Rockin' Around The Xmas Tree'. One of the speakers used to be just outside my workplace and I swear it drove me round the bend big time.

Thankfully one of the consequences of the economic downturn has been the demise of the pa system and with it, thank god, Ms Lee and her mindnumbing Xmas Tree. :D

Al,

These are the listener comments from the YouTube video:

pabfy12H

2 weeks ago

saw their Christmas special awhile back, excellent. truly one of my fav groups.

jarbon5

1 month ago

Love this rendition of this song all day long! This is just so cool!

SnapCracklyPop

1 month ago

@jarbon5 I agree :)

jarbon5

1 month ago

Love this song. It's so smooth, a great take on the classic:)

I think you need to look deeply inside yourself to see if you can figure out what's wrong. You're clearly out of step.

OH GOD YES, THAT'S IT!!!!!

That's a guy singing that? Holy shit.... as if CCM wasn't shitty enough...

Brother, I owe you BIG!

Happy to help! I got lucky and got it on the first try as I saw a list of performers of the song on AMG and noticed Jars Of Clay mentioned a few times. I thought what a dumb band name so it made me suspicious. I've since gone back and heard the 1st 4 words sung and immediately stopped. Just based on that brief exposure I surmise it indeed is one of the most toxic Christmas songs out there. So I owe you thanks for the power in knowing the name of this beast (I'm a big believer in "Know your enemy." ;)) Now I know if I'm in a store and I hear that plunky guitar to drop whatever I'm doing and run run run!

I've since gone back and heard the 1st 4 words sung and immediately stopped. Just based on that brief exposure I surmise it indeed is one of the most toxic Christmas songs out there. So I owe you thanks for the power in knowing the name of this beast (I'm a big believer in "Know your enemy." ;)) Now I know if I'm in a store and I hear that plunky guitar to drop whatever I'm doing and run run run!

Worse than Slim Whitman bursting the heads of the aliens in "Mars Attacks", then? :crazy:

(No, I did NOT dare to listen to the clip ;))

My daughter just sent me a link to the Jars Of Clay's version of "Little Drummer Boy" last week. She said it's the first version of the song she ever enjoyed. I thought it was nice. Then I sampled the rest of the tunes, including this one, and I thought they were just trying too hard to make every tune unique. There's something to being unique, but it doesn't have to be every tune.

BTW, if you want to hear some interesting new Christmas music, try Pink Martini's new CD or download Coldplay's new single.

Kevin

OH GOD YES, THAT'S IT!!!!!

That's a guy singing that? Holy shit.... as if CCM wasn't shitty enough...

Brother, I owe you BIG!

Happy to help! I got lucky and got it on the first try as I saw a list of performers of the song on AMG and noticed Jars Of Clay mentioned a few times. I thought what a dumb band name so it made me suspicious. I've since gone back and heard the 1st 4 words sung and immediately stopped. Just based on that brief exposure I surmise it indeed is one of the most toxic Christmas songs out there. So I owe you thanks for the power in knowing the name of this beast (I'm a big believer in "Know your enemy." ;)) Now I know if I'm in a store and I hear that plunky guitar to drop whatever I'm doing and run run run!

Oddly enough, despite working at a Christian bookstore, my wife hasn't heard it yet. I sang her the distinctive "twangy" guitar part. Unfortunately for her, she can't drop what she's doing to get away from this song. Unfortunately for *me*, knowing how our tastes in music differ, she'll probably end up liking it! :D

Oddly enough, despite working at a Christian bookstore, my wife hasn't heard it yet. I sang her the distinctive "twangy" guitar part. Unfortunately for her, she can't drop what she's doing to get away from this song. Unfortunately for *me*, knowing how our tastes in music differ, she'll probably end up liking it! :D

I think your only alternative is to identify a Christmas song your wife can't stand and threaten her with counter-programming.