ebay madness re: vinyl

Also - and this ties into another question I had - the Steve Kuhn on Contact went for $111, and it is now up on Paris Jazz corner for almost $200. I used to bid on this one occasionally, put in $40 and it would go for $41, and had since forgotten to look for it until recently. Why so expensive?

Just noticed that one. Popsike reported a copy of this sold on ebay for $262 so this seems to be in line with Paris Jazz Corner's price. Not sure why the crazy price - RVG in the dead-wax premium? :wacko:

They also list the MPS 'Watch What Happens' for about 130 Euros. I picked that one up for £12 recently.

Footnote - the Goldmine guide lists the Contact album at about $25 in mint !

Edited by sidewinder

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoulda bid $50 when it wasn't so hot, I guess. Oh well...

Always liked the Lucio Fontana cover on the MPS, but I'm told the music is not that great. Never got into the BYG, but the La Roca factor on "Three Waves" is attractive.

Footnote: somebody bought it from PJC, for that price!

Edited by clifford_thornton

• 2 weeks later...

Please excuse my lack of knowledge. But who is Ronnell Bright:(  :huh:  :blink:

Alfred, Ronnell Bright was an excellent pianist who recorded several albums in the '50s for Regent/Savoy and Vanguard. The French Polydor session was produced when Bright (with Richard Davis and Art Morgan) came to Paris with Sarah Vaughan.

That Polydor LP has been reissued as part of the Jazz in Paris series (vol. 61, Piano aux Champs-Elysees). Much cheaper than the original vinyl!

Nobody noticed this madness:

DONALD BYRD/JAZZ/TRANSITION 5 LP went for                  $316.20

DONALD BYRD/BYRD'S EYE VIEW/TRANSITION went for      $458.00

Man O' Man

:crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:  :crazy:

That's not unheard of for those Transition records - especially if they're clean copies. Byrd's Eye View is especially great, but hey, there is a Japanese version...

Wow! Brownie have you got any autographed cover?

Never asked a musician!

But I did buy a good number when a former French jazz roadie sold some of his vinyls at a record convention some years ago. Managed to grab several albums that had been signed by people like Hank Jones, Joe Newman, Phineas Newborn, Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie among others. One of the vinyl - a bootleg with radio tracks by Count Basie and Erskine Hawkins - was autographed by both leaders!

It was a free-for-all scene and I missed albums signed by Dexter Gordon and Chet Baker...

Also bought (at one of those NYK flea markets) an original mint copy of a Prestige 50th St. album by Barbara Lea with a very long an personal dedication by Ms. Lea. Asking price was one buck!

That Jazz Messengers looks tempting but is out of reach nowadays!

• 4 weeks later...