ebay madness re: vinyl

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw all three volumes at Jazz Record Center for around $2500 in early 2004; $4800 sounds excessive. I also don't remember Mosaic shipping any of the Commodore boxed sets wrapped in plastic and I bought all three volumes new directly from them. So it must have been done by someone other than the label.

'True Blue' on the rise again. $2,138 with two more days to go! Tina Brooks!

It went all the way to $2,600 :blink:

(Reserve met) thankfully :excited:

I sold one for $500 last year. A bit of moisture staining on the borrom edge and the vinyl in VG shape visually, but it played nice. I shoulda waited I guess . . .

Edited by Allan Songer

I sold one for $500 last year. A bit of moisture staining on the borrom edge and the vinyl in VG shape visually, but it played nice. I shoulda waited I guess . . .

I am still looking for a nice copy of True Blue. The disc I have is NM, but the cover is damaged: the previous owner cut out the -very small- picture of Tina Brooks form the FRONT of the jacket. I bought the record from a large collection of which all the records are nice but the jackets have problems. Mostly pictures cut out (with a razor?) from the liner notes.

That's nothing... about 10 years ago a local shop bought a nice collection of 10" LP's. Vinyl was VG+ at the very worst. BUT, every jacket had a 1 x 2 inch rectangle cut out of the upper right hand corner. Apparently, the previous owner's shelves had a matching shelf support on the back of the cabinets. He wanted the LP's flush with the front of the shelving, so out came the scissors...

I am still looking for a nice copy of True Blue. The disc I have is NM, but the cover is damaged: the previous owner cut out the -very small- picture of Tina Brooks form the FRONT of the jacket. I bought the record from a large collection of which all the records are nice but the jackets have problems. Mostly pictures cut out (with a razor?) from the liner notes.

That's nothing... about 10 years ago a local shop bought a nice collection of 10" LP's. Vinyl was VG+ at the very worst. BUT, every jacket had a 1 x 2 inch rectangle cut out of the upper right hand corner. Apparently, the previous owner's shelves had a matching shelf support on the back of the cabinets. He wanted the LP's flush with the front of the shelving, so out came the scissors...

I have 3 nice Blue Notes from the same original owner--1521,1530 and 1543 that are all original flat-edge deep groove pressings in NM condition. The jackets are nice too EXCEPT for the THREE HOLE PUNCHES next to the spine. Seems the owner liked to keep his LPs in binders!!!

Yikes! Never heard of that one before. Just be glad he remembered to take the LP's out when using the three hole punch.... :wacko:

I have 3 nice Blue Notes from the same original owner--1521,1530 and 1543 that are all original flat-edge deep groove pressings in NM condition. The jackets are nice too EXCEPT for the THREE HOLE PUNCHES next to the spine. Seems the owner liked to keep his LPs in binders!!!

• 3 weeks later...

That seems about right, though if I were paying that much, I'd want cleaner labels than those.

Every time I see auctions like this I think to myself "well, if I HAD to I could live off of my records for a few years selling them bit by bit on ebay." It's comforting and horrifying at the same time.

I bought my 1588 for $250 back in the late 80's. At the time, that was a FORTUNE for a Blue Note.

Yeah, I'm limping along on a stereo Liberty I bought for ten bucks some years back. It is enticing and horrifying, when I see a Michel Portal record go for $600 on eBay when I invested less than 1/6th of that! Don't think anything on my shelves would go for anything near the $3,000 that 1588 goes for in M- condition!

Yeah, I'm limping along on a stereo Liberty I bought for ten bucks some years back. It is enticing and horrifying, when I see a Michel Portal record go for $600 on eBay when I invested less than 1/6th of that! Don't think anything on my shelves would go for anything near the $3,000 that 1588 goes for in M- condition!

The only record I have that might fetch that is my NM 1568. Other than the jacket having SLIGHTLY yellowed and one unfeelable scuff it's perfect.

I'll stick with my double sided NY USA deep groove of 1588 (mono with ear). Same laminated cover as the ebay item. I wonder if it was pressed with the 47W63rds and inherited the later labels? Sure sounds like a 47W63rd..

and the labels are clean :excited:

I have seen or owned a number of different pressings. The most desireable to collectors is the one on ebay--47 W 63rd labels with no "Inc" on both sides--deep groove. There are also deep groove pressings with the later "Inc." labels on one or both sides! And I have seen a copy with the 47 W 63rd "Inc" label on one side and "New York USA" on the other! And you have the "New York USA" deep groove version.

This leads me to believe that this record went through MANY pressings, but that they were separated by a few years.