Do you own a gun?

Do you own a gun?  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never owned a gun in my life, nor would I even know how to shoot one. I've never even fired a hunting weapon.

But I sometimes wonder if I should explore getting one. I don't live in a huge city, but my city has 400,000 people. I'm very interested in what others have to say on the subject.

I don't have a gun. I've never even seen a gun up close, much less held one. My dad hunts, and I know he has rifles, but I've honestly never even seen them (I think he might keep them in the basement). I don't see myself ever owning a gun. Why would anybody want such a thing in their home?

I've got an antique Webley & Scott revolver. I don't even display it. Inherited it.

I probably should have just voted "no."

Funny thing is that I would try to sell off my antique revolver, only my father is still alive and would be hurt by the gesture. One of my nephews in Canada might be interested in it, but we can't take guns (antique or otherwise) across the border. I've gotta wait...

I have no interest in the thing. It's circa 1890s.

Probably would have been worth a mint except my Dad "blued" the barrel. Don't quite know how he did that. He explained it to me once, but my eyes glazed over and I didn't quite catch the explanation. ;)

I voted no....I've shot before, used to have one but got rid of it (a .22) would like to have one, but my wife doesn't want one around and I respect her wishes......we live in a rural part of VA and I'd like one again in the event I come across an aggressive dog or a rabid varmit- something which could potentially harm my daughter, wife or dogs. I don't hunt- I can't kill anything for sport. There's guns all around down here...and going to a gun show is a surreal experience!

BTW- I don't mind people owning guns and I'm all for hunting but I don't like the NRA.

What are we: a bunch of pacifists or what?

I am totally surprised by the early returns here. Judging by the media, I thought Americans were armed to the teeth. :g:g I thought Michael Moore said we all have wet dreams about guns.

Moore claims that we can get a gun by opening an account in a Michigan bank. Hell, in Iraq all he's got to do is a dig a little hole and he'll find a whole bunch of em! :lol:

Whose got all the guns? The criminals?

Edited by connoisseur series500

It's true! When I was working as a record store manager in the early 90's, Ted invited a bunch of radio and retail people to his ranch. He had just come out with a new record and was trying to get some support at the ground level. We were brought into the Nugent compound on private busses. He had set up supervised areas where one could shoot skeet, try shooting a 9mm handgun, use a bow and arrow, go canoeing, go on a hayrides, etc... To top it all off, there was a giant feast with just about every kind of meat you'd ever care to eat and a live acoustic performance of some new and old songs including 'Fred Bear'. I couldn't turn down the opportunity even though I had virtually no interest in Ted's music or his lifestyle. I didn't know what to expect, but I just had to go. I ended up having a really nice time. And now I can say that the first and only time I ever shot a gun was at Ted Nugent's house! ;)

It's true! When I was working as a record store manager in the early 90's, Ted invited a bunch of radio and retail people to his ranch. He had just come out with a new record and was trying to get some support at the ground level. We were brought into the Nugent compound on private busses. He had set up supervised areas where one could shoot skeet, try shooting a 9mm handgun, use a bow and arrow, go canoeing, go on a hayrides, etc... To top it all off, there was a giant feast with just about every kind of meat you'd ever care to eat and a live acoustic performance of some new and old songs including 'Fred Bear'. I couldn't turn down the opportunity even though I had virtually no interest in Ted's music or his lifestyle. I didn't know what to expect, but I just had to go. I ended up having a really nice time. And now I can say that the first and only time I ever shot a gun was at Ted Nugent's house! ;)

And after that you got hooked forever and now own an armory, correct Jim? :P

I heard gunfire in my neighborhood in Philadelphia growing up. Once a bullet fired by police at robbers at the corner store to the right of our house went through my parents' bedroom window late at night.

I've fired guns in Africa, and hunted a bit. Never felt good about taking even animal life, especially as easily as pulling a trigger.

Then we drove through Mocambique once to the ocean, that lovely pure Indian Ocean, and saw a burning village, deserted, but my brother and I swear we saw some bodies lying in the smoke as we peered out the windows of the Land Rover. My dad didn't stop! A few minutes later we passed a patrol of armed men marching rather raggedly and laughing away, obviously elated and buzzing from adrenaline. I'm certain these men had just burned that village and killed villagers. I'll never forget how I felt!

I hate guns. I've never needed to have one, and I pray that continues.

I didn't vote "no" because I own a target pistol and a hunting rifle inherited from my father. I can accurately use both, but have never had to to defend myself, nor do I anticipate ever having to defend myself with a gun. I'm not afraid of them, but I am afraid of those who think that having a loaded gun in the house will keep them safe. They are more likely to have the gun stolen and used by somebody else, or for a member of their family killed accidentaly by carelessly stored guns.

My rifle is kept unloaded and stored, the bullets somewhere else in the house.

The most valuable thing I ever learned was the devastating damage a gun can do.

I've fired guns in Africa, and hunted a bit. Never felt good about taking even animal life, especially as easily as pulling a trigger.

Then we drove through Mocambique once to the ocean, that lovely pure Indian Ocean, and saw a burning village, deserted, but my brother and I swear we saw some bodies lying in the smoke as we peered out the windows of the Land Rover. My dad didn't stop! A few minutes later we passed a patrol of armed men marching rather raggedly and laughing away, obviously elated and buzzing from adrenaline. I'm certain these men had just burned that village and killed villagers. I'll never forget how I felt!

Do we have to start calling you "Papa" now? :D

Owning a gun is pretty much driven by where you live.....a buddy of mine from NJ went with me to a gun show down here...he was amazed at what was for sale...handguns, rifles, AKs, antiques, tazars.....nothing like that in NJ.

Why, what would they have in NJ?

I mean seriously, I don't know much about this kind of stuff.

Are country folk better armed than city folk, or is it the opposite?