did Trane really want Cecil on that date?

chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Wilson also produced the rock group Cyrkle.

of "Red Rubber Ball" fame :)

Also "Turn-Down Day"!

You mean they actually recorded more than one song. :D

I have a vague memory that they were managed by Brian Epstein and were one of the acts opening for the Beatles during the '66 tour of America.

The Louis Smith session was produced by Tom Wilson for his Transition label. It was sold to BN when Transition folded.

To me, Tom Wilson's work on the Transition label remains his greatest achievement!

here comes louis smith was a transition date he sold to bluenote? for reals? doesnt it mention that on the original lp at all? so it was ONLY releaed on Bn? :blink:

Yes, I saw Cyrkle open for the Beatles in 66 at Candlestick Park, along with Paul Revere and the Raiders, Bobby Hebb,and several other acts. I can't remember hearing them play anything other than Red Rubber Ball. :)

The acts were The Remains, Heeb, Cyrkle, and the Ronettes. Pretty solid bill!

to get back to the original thread - clearly Cecil, who got a lot of rejection from the older guys, was trying hard to get them to listen - Jackie McLean told me once that his biggest regret was turning away Cecil, who knocked on his door one night because he wanted to discuss making a recording together - Jackie wasn't well, but he always though it was a mistake: "Bird always told me, listen to everyone."

Yes, I saw Cyrkle open for the Beatles in 66 at Candlestick Park, along with Paul Revere and the Raiders, Bobby Hebb,and several other acts. I can't remember hearing them play anything other than Red Rubber Ball. :)

The acts were The Remains, Heeb, Cyrkle, and the Ronettes. Pretty solid bill!

The Remains - now that would have been a band on my want to see list