The Cookers

Caught the 10pm set at Yoshi's Oakland of The Cookers: Billy Harper TS, Craig Handy AS, David Weiss-Eddie Henderson Tpts, Cecil McBee B, George Cables P, Billy Hart D. Lackluster, uninspired are the words that come to mind. The music sounds good, McBee and Hart are still quite capable at 77 and 71 and Cables has always been a favorite, but Weiss and Henderson did not impress me at all especially Henderson, his ideas seem to lack fluidity and cohesiveness, seem to bottom out. I could swear I heard some sour notes in their ensemble work. Don't remember the name of the ballad feature for Handy, but why have ensemble work on a ballad? Harper still has a "simmering" fire down below but imho the group lacks overall excitement. I don't think I'd go to them first for my must have modern day Hard Bop..........

Perhaps your "review" would have been more appropriate if posted in the Live Shows forum. As it stands, you appear to be condemning an ensemble of talented artists based on a single performance, rather than sampling other live appearances as well as some of their recorded output. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I feel your conclusions are too sweeping given your limited experience with the Cookers.

Seriously, no one gets to post a negative review anymore? Or is it just because David posts here?

I'm just waiting for the response, well, if it's so easy, why don't you get up on stage...

Most bands have one shot to win over an audience. Is it his fault he came on a bad night? When the band may have been tired...

For the record, I'm not going to let one negative review keep me from going to see the Cookers, but if I don't enjoy the show, I'm going to post about it.

I just saw their first set tonight at Yoshi's and they were on FIRE - as was the crowd.

I'm not just saying that to stir the controversy here. They're truly great musicians playing this music at a very high level.

I'm not trying to be overly confrontational either, and I have a ticket for the show tomorrow and in fact am looking forward to it a lot. But I really don't think it's cool to jump down someone's throat when they depart from conventional wisdom and/or the Up with People line. I thought we all looked down on the Millenials and their need for constant self-affirmation and inability to handle criticism. We can't handle even second-hand criticism?

I did not intend to be confrontational or jumpt down the OPs throat. If it was taken that way I apologize. I am not naieve enough to expect everyone to experience a given performance the same way and it is surely possible, or in fact likely that every artist will have a bad night. I was simply trying to offer a different experience to suggest that maybe that one performance is not what to expect all the time for the benefit of someone else who may be thinking about catching the group live.

I saw them at Scullers Jazz Club in Boston last week (6/14) and they were great. I am very glad to have saw them. Just to see & hear Billy Harper's version of "Free For All" was worth the price of admission. I would recommend seeing them.

My only complaint, and I mentioned it on the other thread on the board, is that Scullers is a small venue with solid wood paneling. In this environment, they were very loud and in Billy Hart's case, far too loud. Billy's playing shut down my right ear for a bit and I was not the only one. Next time they come to town, I'll be there with an earplug. :)

My only complaint is that they DIDN'T do "Free For All."

In fact, they didn't play anything from the new album. Nearly all the tunes were from "Warriors"

The Core

Priestess

Capra Black

Sweet Rita Suite 2

The other tune was "Peacemaker" from Cast the First Stone

My only complaint is that they DIDN'T do "Free For All."

In fact, they didn't play anything from the new album. Nearly all the tunes were from "Warriors"

The Core

Priestess

Capra Black

Sweet Rita Suite 2

The other tune was "Peacemaker" from Cast the First Stone

That sounds almost the same as the early show in Vancouver: Capra Black, Peacemaker, Priestess and Sweet Rita Suite. I left in the middle of Sweet Rita Suite, so I don't know what came next.

I want to start by saying what absolute troupers David and the gang were. I imagine he'll come on and explain the story. But from what I gather, their plane landed quite late, they got lost on the way to the venue to do the sound check. They then went to the hotel to change. And someone pulled the fire alarm, so they had no choice but to walk down 21 stories to get to the club!!! And indeed, the show started 30 minutes late. I know my performance would be affected by that...

That doesn't change the fact I had a pretty lousy time. Mostly because I hated the venue and will not go back (bad sight lines, not great sound (for me anyway) and absolutely no food to order, only drinks). And while it is understandable given what they went through, the band wasn't tight and was having a lot of trouble getting the energy levels up. I liked Priestess the most but was ready to go by the time Craig broke out the flute on Sweet Rita Suite. Maybe next year (if they play in a different venue).

Edited by ejp626

• 2 weeks later...

...they were very loud and in Billy Hart's case, far too loud.

Thanks to Kevin B for writing this post before I went to see these guys in Vancouver that same night (June 22). It WAS loud, but I took my earplugs and happily survived both shows from the front row. With the exception of Craig Handy it was my first time seeing any of these musicians perform live. They sound like a real band - not a thrown-together All-Stars thing. Great tunes and interesting arrangements. My thanks and appreciation to David Weiss if and when he checks back in with this thread.

John W.

Vancouver BC

Back home and recovered from a great tour.......

I don't know what to say about all this.....

I won't make excuses either.....

I think it just comes down to taste.

I don't think we're for everyone. I think any band that is trying to stretch parameters or whatever you want to call is not going to be for everyone.

I see that people who saw the same show had opposite reactions to said show, we were either too loud or didn't have any energy so again it's all taste and perception I guess.

I guess the sound in the venue is a factor and is something we don't have that much control over.

We played Scullers two years in a row and I don't think the shows were all that different. Not from my perception on stage. Can 20 or 30 less people in the room and someone sitting a few rows closer to the stage make a difference? Perhaps....

Can shitty sound mess things up....most definitely. Can that happen without our knowing about it? Absolutely, unfortunately......

Some venues don't mic the drums because they are loud but in a larger venue, they might not project to the back of the room with the power they should and that might take away from things a bit.

Until we are big enough to tour with our own sound person, this is always going to be an issue unfortunately.....

All I know from the stage, where I'm sitting, this band always brings it. There is never a night where I feel the energy is lacking. Some nights are better then others of course as some nights things just click and it's amazing. The other nights are pretty good as well.

Even if we are tired or had a long day of travel, we always find the energy when we get on stage. I would never use this as an excuse. It's also the reality of touring, we are used to it and again, I thought anyways, that we always found the energy when it was showtime.

Also, not every tune is supposed to cook. If you leave before our rousing closer (with drum solo) perhaps you can walk away thinking the show lacked energy but I always thought we mixed it up. Played hard hitting tunes mixed with spacier more etherial tunes or ballads or something.

I don't think every tune should be a go for the jugular free for all (pardon the pun). This band has many sides and I think we should display them all. I don't think screaming each tune at the top of our lungs is the way to go.

I do appreciate you all coming out and supporting us.

I'm glad most of you enjoyed us and for the rest, sorry we didn't make your day.

Questioning why one would have "ensemble work" on a ballad though seems a bit much but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think it works great but hey, that's just me.......

Anyway, almost everywhere we go we getting rousing standing ovations at the end of the night and while they might be going through the motions or being polite, I have to think we are usually pretty well received and those who do not find it to be all that are in the minority. Again, I realize we are not for everyone.....I don't remember the quote exactly but I think it's something to the effect of if someone doesn't like you you're doing something wrong or maybe it's if everyone likes you, you're doing something wrong....you get the idea.....

Thanks for the input, David. And greater thanks for putting this ensemble together.

I would see this group ANYtime, ANYwhere (within reason, of course).

I've seen Billy countless times over the years - he's one of my jazz heroes. And the rest of the band are all legends in their own right, as well.

What's NOT to like????

Thanks for the input, David. And greater thanks for putting this ensemble together.

I would see this group ANYtime, ANYwhere (within reason, of course).

I've seen Billy countless times over the years - he's one of my jazz heroes. And the rest of the band are all legends in their own right, as well.

What's NOT to like????

just want to add a very hearty "AMEN"!!