Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I may have read Planet of No Return. I've read a cartload of his books over the years (decades.) And it seems that like you, every once in a while I find a pile of cheap Poul Anderson novels and/or collections and buy a bunch of them.

I don't know why, but the only Anderson book I've read is Tau Zero. I enjoyed it, but never bothered to read another.

Anderson wasn't the best writer of prose, but he had some great story ideas and created some great recurring central characters. I really like his stories about the intergalactic diplomatic/secret agent, and that trio of merchants, and the Time Patrol stories.

Nat Hentoff's "At the Jazz Band Ball". Haphazard collection of writings for periodicals. Not very well edited-- some anecdotes are told several times-- but it probably shouldn't be read straight through which is the way I read it. Nevertheless very worthwhile and full of his love for the music and even more so the musicians.

517s4yDSkRL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Well, everyone's been killed off in Oxford so the murderers with intellectual tastes have moved.

Very enoyable murder mystery - specially if you know Cambridge.

Now on:

51yCK2lWT0L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Part of a great 30s/40s series (they overlap but are not a series or chronological). This one is based in Poland in 1937.

Americana Don DeLillo Apparently his first novel. Really hits it out of the park. I try not to get jealous of first novels, but damn.

Now this one intrigues me (also a first novel sort of in the David Foster Wallace vein), but I'll wait until it goes on deep, deep discount in about 6 months.

The-Instructions.jpg

41W0AkAgDlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Roy Blount, Jr. - Hail, Hail, Euphoria! My homeboy Roy Blount is one of my favorite humor writers. This is his examination of The Marx Brothers' Duck Soup. The Amazon reviews are all over the place - some people don't like Blount's many digressions, but that's always been part of his style. And the digressions often contain the most interesting passages.