Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My biggest resolution is to read more books on philosophy and history. I didn't go to University or really had any philosophy/history in the study I did do, but it always interested me on a basic level. After reading The Rebel from Camus last year I decided I really should plunge in it more. I think my primal focus in the beginning will be the three classic Greeks (Socrates, Plato, Aristotle) and furthermore people like Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, Rawls, Jaspers and Sartre. History wise, I will start focusing on Europe and Russia and primarily from the enlightenment on till now, as that is where my interest lies most at the moment.

Next to this I also finally want to tackle Ulysses in 2015 and maybe also start with Proust if I can find a decent copy of the first book for a reasonable price.

The Musil book was actually in my "buy" bucket last week when I ordered books from some Christmas certificates, but last minute I decided to change it for Nietzsche's The Birth of Tragedy.

For me, I wouldn't read it for the characters but for the description of the morals, values and the "zeitgeist"at that time in history in Europe. From what I understand from people who read this book, his descriptions are painfully accurate and still very relevant today. If there ever was book, underlining the importance of the European Union ( vigorously questioned by more and more people today in the EU) this book is very good candidate.

n11201.jpg

Still with Fitzgerald. Now moved on to the first novel she wrote, not from personal experience, but in a historical foreign setting - this time in 1950s Italy. Less impressed. Are we getting a stereotyped English view of Italy here?

I haven't read this one, but from Elizabethan times on, Italy was portrayed as the land of plots and perfidy. It was said, "An Englishman Italianate is the Devil Incarnate" to decry the adoption of Italian styles and morals by traveling Englishmen. It's a theme in many English and American novels. Spark's "The Takeover" is one such. But closer examination usually finds that both traveling Englishmen and native Italians are morally equivalent. "Innocence" and guilt become problematic constructs.

511OlC4gdvL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Geoff Nicholson: The City Under the Skin

I've read a couple of other Nicholson novels which were ok, but this one wasn't worth the time I spent reading it.

Have you read his Bleeding London? I've been meaning to read that forever (and moved it like 4 times). I think I'll finally get to it this spring.

I'm also taking a bit of break from the serious stuff and am reading Lauren Beukes' Zoo City, which is sort of a future fantasy novel where people who commit terrible crimes are paired up with animal familiars -- and are then ostracized. It is notable mostly for being set in Hillbrow, South Africa. The set-up is hard to swallow, but it moves along quickly.

511OlC4gdvL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Geoff Nicholson: The City Under the Skin

I've read a couple of other Nicholson novels which were ok, but this one wasn't worth the time I spent reading it.

Have you read his Bleeding London? I've been meaning to read that forever (and moved it like 4 times). I think I'll finally get to it this spring.

I'm also taking a bit of break from the serious stuff and am reading Lauren Beukes' Zoo City, which is sort of a future fantasy novel where people who commit terrible crimes are paired up with animal familiars -- and are then ostracized. It is notable mostly for being set in Hillbrow, South Africa. The set-up is hard to swallow, but it moves along quickly.

Looking at a list of his novels, it appears that the only one I've read is A Knot Garden. I enjoyed that one much more than The City Under the Skin. The City Under the Skin has a cartoon-like quality to it which doesn't appeal to me.

Stephen King - Wizard And Glass (The Dark Tower Vol. 4)

Pure unadulterated easy to read holiday comfort food/nostalgia/escapism and i'm thoroughly enjoying it. Reading these during summer holidays takes me back to reading them during summer holidays as a kid (the first three books, anyway, but still the same universe). The sun blazing outside really adds to the atmosphere. As an added bonus the paper they used in this edition smells like old comic books, so i'm periodically sniffing and tripping out on that too.

81_WCw_PZNGy_L.jpg

Aw, come on; you can't post that and not comment! :g

I had just come back from the bookstore!

I used to read William Gibson and other US science fiction authors in high school. The last Gibson I read was Virtual Light in 1995. I only started reading science fiction again in 2010 when I discovered Iain M. Bank's Culture novels through io9.com. My first Banks was Surface Detail.

Last year I reread Neuromancer. It was still very good and a much easier read now that my English has vastly improved.

I'm reading a pairing of philosophical pieces: Tolstoy's A Confession where he discusses being a miserable free-thinker/atheist and he is gradually coming back to religion (sort of like C.S. Lewis's The Case for Christianity or Mere Christianity or even more so Surprised by Joy -- blah and one more strike against Tolstoy) and James Hogg's The Private Memoirs and Confessions of a Justified Sinner, which goes into predestination and features a character who sees the folly of his ways (in believing in predestination). In its purest form, predestination is a pretty awful philosophy as it seems to remove any meaning from the concept of Free Will. Both are a bit of a slog, but they are both relatively short.

Then I turn to Soviet-era literature, starting with Krzhizhanovsky's Autobiography of a Corpse (another book I would know nothing about if it were not for NYRB). Then Platonov's Happy Moscow.

Hard to believe I am looking forward to Soviet realist literature as a balm for reading Tolstoy. :P

Zoo City was ok, but as I said, getting past the set-up required a bit too much "faith" on my part. Not surprisingly, it has been optioned as a movie.

Edited by ejp626

a-word-child-1-180x276.jpg

A WORD CHILD - Iris Murdoch -1975

Finishing the year like I've started the last couple of years, with an Iris Murdoch novel, in this case, A Word Child. Started this book once or twice before, but never gained traction, but this time I got pulled in. It's the first-person narrative of Hilary Burde, from the wrong side of the tracks, who rises to linguist at an Oxford college, only for it to go smash, literally. Hilary has been having an affair with Anne, the pregnant wife of Gunnar, an Oxford colleague and friend. Burde kills Anne in a car accident--or was it? This is one of the great novels of sin, repentance, reconciliation, and the need to go on. Philosophically and spiritually, this might be one of Murdoch's deepest novels. I think she is at the height of her powers here. Surprisingly, there is a streak of roguish and mordant humor in the novel, courtesy of the wolfish narrator. Reminds me of her The Black Prince, but more affecting.

Surface Detail is not considered a good starting point by most. Usually one of the first three novels is recommended for people new to the Culture. I disagree.

With the first three (Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, and Use of Weapons) his mature prose style was not yet formed. Neither had the Culture been completely sketched out. That only happened with the fourth novel, Excession, the greatest of them all. Consider Phlebas is overrated in my opinion and not told from a Culture perspective. Player of Games begins to sketch out the human and drone (only a relatively modest degree smarter than humans) side of the Culture. Use of Weapons is more a (human) psychological novel with an unusual structure. Both POG and UOW focus on the Culture's Contact arm intervening in foreign civilizations for the greater good.

Later novels feature the ship and orbital Minds (incredibly advanced and godlike AIs) as major characters with psychological depth. Minds are what make the Culture tick. Excession is the Mind novel and therefore you'd benefit from some prior introduction to the Culture beyond what a web article (see below) could provide you.

Good first Culture novels are Player of Games (keeping in mind it is an early work), Look to Windward, and, after an introduction provided by some web articles, also Surface Detail.

The Hydrogen Sonata is his sublime last Culture novel published shortly before Banks discovered he had only months to live. Ironically it deals with death and immortality.

Ignore Inversions and Matter for the time being.

In 1994 Banks wrote an essay called A Few Notes On the Culture which was posted on a newsgroup by Ken MacLeod.

An io9 introduction to the Culture can be found here.

Edited by erwbol

The Burning of the World: A Memoir of 1914 by Bela Zombory-Moldovan. ...

This is another great book from New York Review of Books Classics. They have an incredible catalogue.

I know. I am halfway through their edition of Platonov's Soul. I even have a short post (http://erics-hangout.blogspot.ca/2014/08/publishers-of-note.html) going into some of the books that I find particularly worthy.

I just visited your blog. An impressive list. I joined their book club and received as one of the bonus books My Face for the World to See. A very impressive book by Alfred Hayes, with an economic style of writing. The prose is taut and he explores some ideas that ring true for many of us.

I became initially interested in reading NYRB Classics by reading Zweig's Beware of Pity, his only full length novel. That was soon followed by his Chess Story, Post Office Girl and Confusion, all highly recommended.I like Zweig as well, though I have mostly read his short stories. It's definitely worth checking out Pushkin Press. I am toying with the idea of getting their Collected Stories of Zweig, though there would be a lot of duplication. Also, as nice/impressive as this is, I would never read it on the train! http://pushkinpress.com/book/the-collected-stories-of-stefan-zweig/

Speaking of subscriptions, I am definitely looking into Melville House's subscription to their Art of the Novella series, though in my case I'd have to opt for the ebook version: http://www.mhpbooks.com/merchandise/novellas/

For me, it looks like April - July 2015 would be perfect.I never realized this but it looks like Pushkin is putting out Zweig's works in hardcover and paperback while NYRB is doing the paperback. I assume Pushkin has European rights and NYRB US rights.

I've just started to read his memoirs, The World of Yesterday.

Edited by Brad

Surface Detail is not considered a good starting point by most. Usually one of the first three novels is recommended for people new to the Culture. I disagree.

With the first three (Consider Phlebas, Player of Games, and Use of Weapons) his mature prose style was not yet formed. Neither had the Culture been completely sketched out. That only happened with the fourth novel, Excession, the greatest of them all. Consider Phlebas is overrated in my opinion and not told from a Culture perspective. Player of Games begins to sketch out the human and drone (only a relatively modest degree smarter than humans) side of the Culture. Use of Weapons is more a (human) psychological novel with an unusual structure. Both POG and UOW focus on the Culture's Contact arm intervening in foreign civilizations for the greater good.

Later novels feature the ship and orbital Minds (incredibly advanced and godlike AIs) as major characters with psychological depth. Minds are what make the Culture tick. Excession is the Mind novel and therefore you'd benefit from some prior introduction to the Culture beyond what a web article (see below) could provide you.

Good first Culture novels are Player of Games (keeping in mind it is an early work), Look to Windward, and, after an introduction provided by some web articles, also Surface Detail.

The Hydrogen Sonata is his sublime last Culture novel published shortly before Banks discovered he had only months to live. Ironically it deals with death and immortality.

Ignore Inversions and Matter for the time being.

In 1994 Banks wrote an essay called A Few Notes On the Culture which was posted on a newsgroup by Ken MacLeod.

An io9 introduction to the Culture can be found here.

Many thanks!

book-cover-clarissa.jpg?w=500

Following my NYE Big Book Resolution, I've started reading Clarissa. Of course, even a 100 pages completed is a mere drop in the bucket; one feels overwhelmed by the page count. I also discovered that holding an oversized, 1600 page volume presents certain unanticipated physical problems; it's heavy and hard to hold. It seems to be holding me, not the other way around. Notwithstanding, I'm launched; we'll see how far we get.

Following up on Bill F's Penelope Fitzgerald/Hermione Lee posts, here's a nice review by the Washington Post's Michael Dirda. My only quibble is his forward-comparison of Marilynne Robinson to Fitzgerald; it just struck me as odd and inapposite. The Hermione Lee bio looks quite interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/michael-dirda-reviews-penelope-fitzgerald-a-life-by-hermione-lee/2014/12/31/3e9bd460-8d1e-11e4-a085-34e9b9f09a58_story.html

Following my NYE Big Book Resolution, I've started reading Clarissa. Of course, even a 100 pages completed is a mere drop in the bucket; one feels overwhelmed by the page count. I also discovered that holding an oversized, 1600 page volume presents certain unanticipated physical problems; it's heavy and hard to hold. It seems to be holding me, not the other way around. Notwithstanding, I'm launched; we'll see how far we get.

Following up on Bill F's Penelope Fitzgerald/Hermione Lee posts, here's a nice review by the Washington Post's Michael Dirda. My only quibble is his forward-comparison of Marilynne Robinson to Fitzgerald; it just struck me as odd and inapposite. The Hermione Lee bio looks quite interesting.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/michael-dirda-reviews-penelope-fitzgerald-a-life-by-hermione-lee/2014/12/31/3e9bd460-8d1e-11e4-a085-34e9b9f09a58_story.html

I've always enjoyed Dirda's reviews. I don't pick up on everything - he's much more widely and deeply read than I - but he has an enthusiasm that I appreciate.

Yes, the Fitzgerald biography, received as a Christmas present, is here and waiting. I thought I would finish her novels first, though the later ones are proving less to my taste. Eventually the penny dropped on why they're so different. Now into the late 80s/early 90s, postmodernisn raises its ugly head so I shouldn't be surprised by novels set in obscure historical periods with real life characters and references to such things as Italian cinema, Russian literature and book production.

I've generally had trouble getting through Penelope Fitzgerald's books, even though many of them are on the short side. I may try again some day. I was going to say the only one I really liked was City of the Mind, but that's Penelope Lively (oops). I think she is a bit more to my taste, though I don't know if she goes into postmodernism or not ;) .

I'm planning on reading more by Elizabeth Bowen and Elizabeth Tayor and rereading Pym in the next couple of years. I'm actually just starting Bowen's To the North today.

One interesting novella by Tess Slesinger ("The Answer on the Magnolia Tree") is collected in On Being Told That Her Second Husband Has Taken His First Lover and Other Stories. "Magnolia Tree" can be read as a bit of a bookend to Spark's Miss Jean Brodie, though you end up in the heads of more characters -- teachers and students. I guess I'd describe it as High Modernism lite -- a bit easier to follow than Djuna Barnes' Nightwood, for instance. Worth reading once for sure.

Inspired by Leeway, I just picked up a copy of Murdoch's A Word Child, but it will be quite a while before I get around to reading it...

Edited by ejp626