Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading Graham Green recently, and enjoying it: The Heart of the Matter, The Quiet American & The Human Factor. Does anyone think that the new movie version of The Quiet American is worth buying?

Edited by Matthew

Reading Graham Green recently, and enjoying it:  The Heart of the Matter, The Quiet American & The Human Factor.  Does anyone think that the new movie version of The Quiet American is worth buying?

Forget about the remake and try to get hold of the original one by Joseph Mankiewicz with Michael Redgrave and Audie Muphy. A black and white classic.

Another incredible movie adaptation from Graham Greene is 'The Ministry of Fear' by Fritz Lang (1943) set in wartime London with Ray Milland. Stunningly breathtaking!

Robertson Davies: What's Bred in the Bone

Interesting writer. Haven't read this one, but read "The Deptford Trilogy" (Fifth Business/The Manticore/World of Wonders) a few years ago. Found a paperback of "The Salterton Trilogy" for 50 cents a few months ago, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Anyone else read any of these?

Interesting writer. Haven't read this one, but read "The Deptford Trilogy" (Fifth Business/The Manticore/World of Wonders) a few years ago. Found a paperback of "The Salterton Trilogy" for 50 cents a few months ago, but haven't gotten to it yet.

What's Bred in the Bone is the first Davies I've read. I enjoyed it and I'll be reading others. I rarely read two books consecutively by the same author, so it may be several months before I get to another Davies. In the meantime, I'd be interested to read what titles others might recommend.

I read pretty much all the Davies I can get ahold of. Deptford is probably the high point. What's Bred in Bone is part of another trilogy focussed on the art world and academia, which is also first rate. Salterton is earlier and is good, but the focus is more on small town life at the start, then gradually expanding the horizons to Davies' more Jungian preoccupations.

I've also read for few other stray books and am thinking about grabbing a collection of his newspaper articles from the local book shop.

He's one of the writers I never get tired of. Excellent at the craft, and with an observation of two about life & art that really get me thinking. He doesn't get a big head and neglect the craft, though.

--eric

Reading Graham Green recently, and enjoying it:  The Heart of the Matter, The Quiet American & The Human Factor.  Does anyone think that the new movie version of The Quiet American is worth buying?

Forget about the remake and try to get hold of the original one by Joseph Mankiewicz with Michael Redgrave and Audie Muphy. A black and white classic.

That's interesting...I've heard the exact opposite! I'll probably end up watching them both...

Right now I'm re-reading Italo Calvino's The Baron in the Trees for my book group. Read it during college and loved it. I am enjoying it now, too. Lots of fun.

Dr. Rat Posted May 31 2005, 08:55 AM

(alankin @ May 30 2005, 03:10 PM)

QUOTE(paul secor @ May 29 2005, 09:49 AM)

I read pretty much all the Davies I can get ahold of. Deptford is probably the high point. What's Bred in Bone is part of another trilogy focussed on the art world and academia, which is also first rate. Salterton is earlier and is good, but the focus is more on small town life at the start, then gradually expanding the horizons to Davies' more Jungian preoccupations.

I've also read for few other stray books and am thinking about grabbing a collection of his newspaper articles from the local book shop.

He's one of the writers I never get tired of. Excellent at the craft, and with an observation of two about life & art that really get me thinking. He doesn't get a big head and neglect the craft, though.

--eric

I read all of Deptford a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely. I haven't read any more of his fictions, but would highly recommend his non-fiction, which is filled with a kind of congenial gusto for life and literature that is very engaging.

Edited by Kalo

Wait a minute; back up:  did he say Contemporary Zulu Telephone Wire Baskets?  :blink:

Yes I did.

Fascinating art form.

Beautiful work done in Africa using multiple different colors of telephone wire.

Seeing is believing. Really.

Just started Nicole Krauss: The History Of Love.

She's Jonathan Safran Foer's wife.

Both intriguing young writers.

I'll be darned...I just did a google search and have to admit I'm intrigued!  They remind me of those sand painting things sort of...

I was so intrigued I bought one by one of the "masters" profiled in the book.

My wife & I really like it.

Prices are still pretty reasonable.

BTW I have no vested interest of any kind.

Recently read from the stacks:

Elmore Leonard -- Get Shorty

Laura Hillenbrand -- Seabiscuit: An American Legend

(Good book, haven't seen the movie. Just one comment on jockeys: ouch!)

Augusten Burroughs -- Running WIth Scissors: A Memoir

(Manages to make even the most dysfunctional family look fairly normal)

Edited by alankin

Just finished Philip Roth's The Human Stain. Really masterful work. Previously I'd only read his more, shall we say, self-obsessed works. This one presents a wide imaginative embrace of a number of very different characters of different races, sexes, and social classes. Impressive.

Now I'll have to read his American Pastoral and I Married a Communist.