Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

FWIW i ended up listening to the Mitchell/Taborn/Baku album on Spotify and can confirm that it's not really my thing at the moment. The usual 'not a criticism of the music' disclaimers apply, i'll need to revisit it when i'm in a more receptive mood.

That's too bad. Maybe give it a 2nd listen later. I would be curious as to what did not work for you on the album.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rejoice, Leeway, for part 2 of the Roscoe Mitchell/Craig Taborn/Kikanju Baku sessions are out in April.

Also some nice ones from No Business coming up: Max Johnson/Laubrock/Maneri/Fujiwara, Rodrigo Amado Trio w/ Peter Evans & Ajamian/Malaby/Mazurek/Chad Taylor

Hey, I'm practically firing off 21 gun salutes over here over these Roscoe releases! :D That first disc is just great. I can't imagine anything coming along even at thid early date, where there will not be the most serious contender for record of the year. Unless it happens to be Part 2. :Nod:

This is getting me interested. Confession time: i've never been a big Roscoe Mitchell fan, in a 'don't love him, don't hate him' kind of way but also in a 'haven't listened enough to have a legit opinion' kind of way. I like the AEOC enough but no where near as much as i should, and the handful of recordings under his own name that i've heard, other than Sound, have not done much for me. However, other than Sound i don't think i've heard the key recordings and at some point i need to do some proper listening, i just haven't felt a huge urge to go there yet.

Anyway, i'll see how things pan out new release wise, might look at picking this one up.

The discussion on this thread might give you some ideas on where to go in listening to Roscoe Mitchell.

Thanks Paul, i've bookmarked that thread for when i'm ready to take the plunge.

FWIW i ended up listening to the Mitchell/Taborn/Baku album on Spotify and can confirm that it's not really my thing at the moment. The usual 'not a criticism of the music' disclaimers apply, i'll need to revisit it when i'm in a more receptive mood.

That's too bad. Maybe give it a 2nd listen later. I would be curious as to what did not work for you on the album.

Nothing wrong with the album; as much as i've prided myself on the past in having broad taste in jazz i'm just not digging (what sounds like) atonal free improv stuff at the moment. I'm sure my ears will rotate back around again at some point but at the moment it's pearls before swine.

Just having another listen now; up to track 5... i could see myself warming to this, but whatever Roscoe was doing on that first track, that was some real nails on chalkboard stuff to my ears. Ha ha, i've seriously lost my edge.

Another random point, as much as i think Spotify is great for checking stuff out, i don't feel invested as a listener unless i've purchased the album.

Another random point, as much as i think Spotify is great for checking stuff out, i don't feel invested as a listener unless i've purchased the album.

I feel the same way, which is why I'm careful as to what I preview on Spotify. I tend to check out stuff that's likely to be more mainstream, to avoid buying "the same old same old."

I feel the same way, which is why I'm careful as to what I preview on Spotify. I tend to check out stuff that's likely to be more mainstream, to avoid buying "the same old same old."

Yeah. I actually had a thing where i listened to an album on Spotify recently and thought that it was solid but pretty ho hum. Later i saw the CD in a bargain bin and decided to get it, found myself really enjoying it. Same music; the mind works in mysterious and illogical ways i guess.

Nothing wrong with the album; as much as i've prided myself on the past in having broad taste in jazz i'm just not digging (what sounds like) atonal free improv stuff at the moment. I'm sure my ears will rotate back around again at some point but at the moment it's pearls before swine.

Just having another listen now; up to track 5... i could see myself warming to this, but whatever Roscoe was doing on that first track, that was some real nails on chalkboard stuff to my ears. Ha ha, i've seriously lost my edge.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reactions. No right or wrong here. Nice of you to listen again. I went back to that first track to see what was up with that chalk on a board feeling. Yes, Roscoe does play in some pretty high registers, I think partly to shock (wake-up) and partly to stimulate. Keep in mind the title is "Knock and Roll," so a very dynamic piece might be expected. I actually found that track totally kick-ass, incredibly intense and dynamic. The other tracks take you through a variety of musical ideas, and it's that ideation that attracts me to his work. I came to Roscoe through the AEC, so maybe that acclimatized me to his music. Anyway, it's rare that I do not find something compelling in Roscoe's work, but this latest album strikes me as quite strong. Not everyone feels the same way, I suppose...one man's meat, and all that..... ^_^

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reactions. No right or wrong here. Nice of you to listen again. I went back to that first track to see what was up with that chalk on a board feeling. Yes, Roscoe does play in some pretty high registers, I think partly to shock (wake-up) and partly to stimulate. Keep in mind the title is "Knock and Roll," so a very dynamic piece might be expected. I actually found that track totally kick-ass, incredibly intense and dynamic. The other tracks take you through a variety of musical ideas, and it's that ideation that attracts me to his work. I came to Roscoe through the AEC, so maybe that acclimatized me to his music. Anyway, it's rare that I do not find something compelling in Roscoe's work, but this latest album strikes me as quite strong. Not everyone feels the same way, I suppose...one man's meat, and all that..... ^_^

Thanks for taking my comments in the spirit i intended. I didn't want to come off as dickish but at the same time people are always saying they're going to give something a listen and we never hear back from them. I know i do it, sometimes it comes down to best intentions at the time but lack of time or money or enthusiasm get in the way down the line. I'm always keen to hear peoples thoughts on albums i dig, whether positive, negative or ambivalent.

Anyway, as i say, no criticism of the music as i can tell it's top notch... i guess the analogy i'll use is that there's an awesome party going on next door and it's obviously a great occasion but i just feel like having a quiet night at home right now. Actually, a better analogy would be that i've been at the party for the last couple of hours and i've really enjoyed it but i feel like i just need some time out so i'm chilling in a quiet corner... eventually i'll feel like rejoining the party.

The first volume of the Creative Music Studios Archive Collection is due for release. 3 CDs of small ensembles, orchestras and world music. Some really intriguing stuff here!

http://www.innova.mu/albums/creative-music-studio/archive-selections-vol-1

Small groups with Blackwell & Brackeen, a David Izenon trio, Oppens & Rzewski and Emery & Jenkins. Orchestras by Oliver Lake, Olu Dara & Roscoe Mitchell.

The first volume of the Creative Music Studios Archive Collection is due for release. 3 CDs of small ensembles, orchestras and world music. Some really intriguing stuff here!

Small groups with Blackwell & Brackeen, a David Izenon trio, Oppens & Rzewski and Emery & Jenkins. Orchestras by Oliver Lake, Olu Dara & Roscoe Mitchell.

That looks very interesting indeed

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this on the Free Jazz blog yesterday:

Jass - John Hollenbeck / Alban Darche / Samuel Blaser / Sebastien Boisseau

480x480_530372b22ebcc-coverjassweb.png

Hollenbeck is the main draw for me but i have nothing against the other guys :)

Three full tracks can be heard on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/albandarche/sets/j-a-s-s-john-hollenbeck-alban

Available from the label's website: http://www.yolkrecords.com/en/index.php?p=album&id=65

I'm hoping it's a CD, doesn't seem to be available on CD elsewhere (haven't looked too hard yet).

That looks very interesting indeed

I like the looks of Discs 1 and 2 quite a bit, Disc 3 not so much.

Thanks Xybert and Craig P - just ordered a copy from the label.

This might just be the album where Blaser comes alive for me. I've a number of his and promised not to buy any more as I'm always frustrated by what I hear as a very single-paced playing style . I keep going back to 'Pieces of Old Sky' which I want to love (not least because of the great band) but it always drags a little. I was very excited by the recent collaboration with Delbecq and Hemingway but came up against the same problem. Undoubtedly a great technician and I like his Early Music investigations most.

Fingers crossed that this is the one

Thanks Xybert and Craig P - just ordered a copy from the label.

This might just be the album where Blaser comes alive for me. I've a number of his and promised not to buy any more as I'm always frustrated by what I hear as a very single-paced playing style . I keep going back to 'Pieces of Old Sky' which I want to love (not least because of the great band) but it always drags a little. I was very excited by the recent collaboration with Delbecq and Hemingway but came up against the same problem. Undoubtedly a great technician and I like his Early Music investigations most.

Fingers crossed that this is the one

That has been my reaction to Blaser as well. He just does not light any fuses for me. So I will be quite interested in your response to this latest disc.

I've heard so many good things about Blaser but i've never quite managed to pull the trigger on one of his albums as a leader (came very close with Pieces of Old Sky). I feel like i'm a bit sceptical of him in a way that some of the older heads are probably sceptical of some of the younger-ish artists that i really dig (Lehman, Eisenstadt, Hollenbeck etc). JASS appears to be a really collaborative album with the members contributing compositions... I believe it will be a good way for me to check out Blaser in a no-lose situation (edit: no-lose in that in the very least i'll get some new Hollenbeck).

Edited by xybert

I don't know if I'm an "old head" but since I may be, I'll say I like Lehman (seen him live several times), have mixed feelings about Eisenstadt (seen him live several times recently as a sideman and he impressed me, but I didn't get into his Clean Feed albums first couple of times i heard them), and Hollenbeck has not managed to generate much interest on my part (could be my loss, but his groups don't appeal to me).

The trombone bench is not deep, not like sax, so a really good new trombonist is welcome, but my initial impression of Blaser was dryness, to use Colinmce's term, or a kind of hyper-technical approach, but I have not heard the the more revelatory playing that Colinmce also noted. I hope that happens.

I don't know if I'm an "old head" but since I may be, I'll say I like Lehman (seen him live several times), have mixed feelings about Eisenstadt (seen him live several times recently as a sideman and he impressed me, but I didn't get into his Clean Feed albums first couple of times i heard them), and Hollenbeck has not managed to generate much interest on my part (could be my loss, but his groups don't appeal to me).

The trombone bench is not deep, not like sax, so a really good new trombonist is welcome, but my initial impression of Blaser was dryness, to use Colinmce's term, or a kind of hyper-technical approach, but I have not heard the the more revelatory playing that Colinmce also noted. I hope that happens.

I've yet to hear Blaser and will spring for a disc with Hemingway. Yes, there are not that many newer trombonists in these areas of music, but the two I really like are Josh Abrams and Ben Gerstein. Gerstein is an aggressive exciting player live and I'm looking for a good recording that features him. I'll see him live in April with Malaby. Edited by Steve Reynolds

I saw Blaser in duo with drummer Pierre Favre. I found his playing extremely boring - a lot of notes, a lot of repetition, few ideas, shallow sound. I have his solo CD, and it is OK, not great. For me, THE trombonist is Conny Bauer.

Edited by Д.Д.