Modern/Avant New Releases: A running thread

colinmce

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back in the day, I ate up a few Ivo records - some real good ones are Sad Life with WP & Rashied Ali, Seeds Vision and Counterpoint with Dominic Duval and I think Jay Rosen. The latter is exceptionally intense and has that buzz that Leeway is speaking of.

Also great is Siero with a quartet that includes Thomas Ulrich on cello. Very very fine

For me I need a drummer to push him and other voices that might be more intricate and nuanced to play off his pure sound approach.

Tough job for a saxophonist to match Mat one on one but who knows.

I've heard really good stuff about this one--

681.jpg

Ivo used to play a lot with Rosie Hertlein (admittedly not Matt) so is used to having strings in the group.

Another one I've heard good things about:

668.jpg

Loved seeing Ivo in concert. A very cool cat.

Jazzwerkstatt just put out a Lester Bowie CD, confusingly titled The Great Pretender. It has two performances, one from 1982 with a large ensemble and 3 tracks with Phillip Wilson & William Parker. I'm assuming this is all unreleased, but don't know Bowie's discography enough to know for sure.

41zhbkgah9L.jpg

71IffOALD9L._SL1404_.jpg

That Bowie is interesting. The 1982 Berlin concert performance appears to have been previously released in 1990 by a label called Repertoire Records, and the recording made by the DDR (East German Radio). That group appears on "All the Magic" but different tunes. I would want to hear the Berlin performance.

As for the trio performance, appears to come from "The Phillip Wilson Project," New Edition label, Germany 2005, which has more tracks on it (some of those are not trio).

I suppose I have come across that PW Project CD before...

Gauci/Knuffke/Filiano & Mondoc/Green/Baker feat. Shipp/Campbell/Swell both new on Relative Pitch. The latter is definitely a must-get.

I'm actually more interested in the former. :shrug[1]::tophat:

Looks like we'll have to get them both :shrug[1]:

• 3 weeks later...

relyles mentioned this in the Vision Fest thread but i thought it would be worth noting here too.

New Nicole Mitchell album on RogueArt.

Nicole Mitchell: flute, alto flute, piccolo, vocals
Craig Taborn: piano
David Boykin: tenor saxophone
Chad Taylor: drumset, percussion

EDIT: removed link to the RogueArt website as it went to the previous album from this group, 2010's Emerald Hills. The new album doesn't appear to be showing up on the RogueArt Website yet.

Edited by xybert

relyles mentioned this in the Vision Fest thread but i thought it would be worth noting here too.

Link to website with a couple of track previews. Sounds awesome! http://web.roguart.com/shop/album/id/41

It does sound good.

Link to website with a couple of track previews. Sounds awesome! http://web.roguart.com/shop/album/id/41

It does sound good.

Hey man, i got caught up in the moment and mistakenly linked to an album from 2010 rather than the new album. Sorry! New album doesn't seem to be showing up on the site yet. Anyway, something to look forward to.

Their website is out of date, There is also a new one from Tarbaby + Oliver Lake & Marc Ducret called Fanon. I'll definitely be picking this up as my wife is a scholar of his work. I doubt she'll give it a listen, but I'm sure she'd at least be interested to see it!

I would guess the Bowie is "dime sourced".

It's an Uli Blobel production, so I think he has access to original recordings?

I'd assume so. Perhaps previous issues were those he licensed out. Although I often wonder if anybody is getting paid w/ that outfit. F/E the new Peter Kowald box on Jazzwerkstatt looks nice, but leaves a funny taste.

Max Johnson: The Prisoner (Laubrock, Maneri, Fujiwara)

I'm sure they will have copies on Friday when I see Max Johnson with two different trios. It's nice IMHO.

Listened on my home from the gig last night. Very fine. Ingrid as powerful on record as I've heard her. Fired up for the 7/18 Rainey trio show with the saxophonist and Mary Halverson.