New Jimi Hendrix

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been on a huge Hendrix bender lately. This CD has not left the player since the day it was released. It's very good - that's not to say I don't have a few minor quibbles with it. For instance, I would have left off the "Let Me Love You" & "Mojo Man" because I don't think they fit well with the rest of the performances. Additionally, I would have liked it better if they just presented the material as it was instead of combining takes like on "Hear My Train A-Coming' " - warts and all is my motto. Also during Hendrix's solo in "Somewhere" it sounds like Kramer added some reverb/delay (at 2:02 to the end of the solo) which just makes it sound really odd to my ears. It reminds me of some latter day Zeppelin Jimmy Page solo but I can't for the life of me figure out which one. Considering that Eddie Kramer produced both artists I guess that isn't that much of a stretch. Maybe the reverb was on the original recording but it just doesn't sound right to me. Anyway I'm glad they released it. Hopefully they will get RAH or Miami out soon on video.

I've been on a huge Hendrix bender lately. This CD has not left the player since the day it was released. It's very good - that's not to say I don't have a few minor quibbles with it. For instance, I would have left off the "Let Me Love You" & "Mojo Man" because I don't think they fit well with the rest of the performances. Additionally, I would have liked it better if they just presented the material as it was instead of combining takes like on "Hear My Train A-Coming' " - warts and all is my motto. Also during Hendrix's solo in "Somewhere" it sounds like Kramer added some reverb/delay (at 2:02 to the end of the solo) which just makes it sound really odd to my ears. It reminds me of some latter day Zeppelin Jimmy Page solo but I can't for the life of me figure out which one. Considering that Eddie Kramer produced both artists I guess that isn't that much of a stretch. Maybe the reverb was on the original recording but it just doesn't sound right to me. Anyway I'm glad they released it. Hopefully they will get RAH or Miami out soon on video.

Kramer did not PRODUCE Zeppelin. Page did.

Kramer did not PRODUCE Zeppelin. Page did.

Right, thanks for the catch.

Listened to it. It's okay, nothing much. The Dagger records rehearsal stuff is much better.

I love the Dagger rehearsal cds but this is something different. I was not as bowled over first time through as I have been replaying the disc.

Best sound (mastering) of any of the releases too in my opinion.

They are scraping the bottom of the barrel if you look at the plethora of material that has been officially released over the past decade. However, even lesser Hendrix (is there such a thing?) is still so many leagues above most other artists that it's completely worthwhile.

This isn't the bottom of the barrell. I have that on some bootlegs. :)

I'm listening to the vinyl. Wow. I feel the Grundman mastered cd sounded better than the Marino ones before them, and these Grundman mastered lps are da bomb.

I actually prefer these studio efforts to most of the live possible releases. I'm hoping one day they'll do the entire session where Jimi and Billy and Buddy work out "I'm a Man." Some might consider that scraping the bottom but I find it fascinating.

Edited by jazzbo

First listen tonight ... first half is glorious, after that I thought it meandered a bit, but the long twenty minute bonus jam is definitely great to have! Love the Band of Gypsys!

King Ubu, that's not the people, hell... Is that a separate single that was just released?