Dogs or Cats?

Tim McG

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

One dog. One cat.

But I'm basically a dog person who also has a cat.

You can run around with dogs, get some exercise with them, they like car rides (which cats hate), so you can take them places and they're basically up for checking anything out.

On the other hand, cats low maintenance and they'll play with any old thing that happens to be available. Heck, a stray leaf that found its way inside yesterday gave Peanut (the cat) the zooms for a good half hour.

So, both ...

I would add that a "meow" is far quieter than a "bark". We like that.

No "lawn ornaments" to worry about since cats do their bodily functions an a sand filled box. Safety first!

Cats bathe themselves [though a dog bath can be pretty comical and bonding for the owner and dog].

Cats are cheaper; dogs will cost you a bundle to buy and maintain. Besides, when our cats get the "zooms" it is free entertainment :g

My golden retriever hasn't barked in over 18 months.

He doesn't dump his 'ornaments' on any old lawn. I have to walk him to his sweet spots in the local parks for him to finally sit down after giving the place a thorough inspection with his nose.

He swims daily in the local waterways.

Keeping a dog is expensive, but golden retrievers do provide free entertainment. It's just that they are well behaved inside the house and (expect to) have a lot of fun outside in your company.

Just so long as you pick up and toss the doggie doo.

Some dog owners around my house just let their dogs run free or let them take a dump and do not pick it up.

TBH, it's digusting.

Edited by GoodSpeak

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One dog. One cat.

But I'm basically a dog person who also has a cat.

You can run around with dogs, get some exercise with them, they like car rides (which cats hate), so you can take them places and they're basically up for checking anything out.

On the other hand, cats low maintenance and they'll play with any old thing that happens to be available. Heck, a stray leaf that found its way inside yesterday gave Peanut (the cat) the zooms for a good half hour.

So, both ...

I would add that a "meow" is far quieter than a "bark". We like that.

No "lawn ornaments" to worry about since cats do their bodily functions an a sand filled box. Safety first!

Cats bathe themselves [though a dog bath can be pretty comical and bonding for the owner and dog].

Cats are cheaper; dogs will cost you a bundle to buy and maintain. Besides, when our cats get the "zooms" it is free entertainment :g

My golden retriever hasn't barked in over 18 months.

He doesn't dump his 'ornaments' on any old lawn. I have to walk him to his sweet spots in the local parks for him to finally sit down after giving the place a thorough inspection with his nose.

He swims daily in the local waterways.

Keeping a dog is expensive, but golden retrievers do provide free entertainment. It's just that they are well behaved inside the house and (expect to) have a lot of fun outside in your company.

Just so long as you pick up and toss the doggie doo.

Some dog owners around my house just let their dogs run free or let them take a dump and do not pick it up.

TBH, it's digusting.

Picking up your own dog's doo gets easier once you bond. Just like the sloppy kisses. A sweet dog is like a child.

For me the whole having to pick up after a dog is a total deal breaker*, which is why I find urban dog owning so peculiar. And I realize most urban dog owners are responsible, but it doesn't take but one or two jackholes to spoil it for everyone, and everyone knows how jackholes somehow are always drawn to the most interesting neighborhoods...

* And the dog kisses. And I guess basically everything there is about dogs. :rolleyes:

For me the whole having to pick up after a dog is a total deal breaker*, which is why I find urban dog owning so peculiar. And I realize most urban dog owners are responsible, but it doesn't take but one or two jackholes to spoil it for everyone, and everyone knows how jackholes somehow are always drawn to the most interesting neighborhoods...

* And the dog kisses. And I guess basically everything there is about dogs. :rolleyes:

I estimate only a little over half the people here bother to pick up droppings. The worst aspect for me is being falsely accused by cranky old homeowners. They see a bunch of white dog hairs (excessive combing or even a haircut?) lying on a field next to their home and need a young person to vent their frustration against. As if the other grey old farts in the neighbourhood all clean up after their pooch.

Cats. I grew up with cats and I'm sure that somehow shaped my personality (for the better, I like to think). After our last cat expired, however, my wife said no more. She was sick of getting fur on her clothes and having the furniture clawed.

I've never had a dog, but I have nothing against them. One good thing about cats is that you don't have to pay a lot of attention to them; dogs need walking and are more in-your-face, it seems.

If I ever retire to the countryside, I might get a dog. It seems like that would make more sense. But I have no plans to retire to the countryside.

Cats. I grew up with cats and I'm sure that somehow shaped my personality (for the better, I like to think). After our last cat expired, however, my wife said no more. She was sick of getting fur on her clothes and having the furniture clawed.

I've never had a dog, but I have nothing against them. One good thing about cats is that you don't have to pay a lot of attention to them; dogs need walking and are more in-your-face, it seems.

If I ever retire to the countryside, I might get a dog. It seems like that would make more sense. But I have no plans to retire to the countryside.

I would have to get a house with a bigger yard and, TBH, I would only get a dog after I retire.

We're always so busy or gone a lot and the dog would suffer for it.

Our cats, OTOH, do just fine.

Interesting... I've had dogs nearly my entire life, and not one of them ever got into a car willingly, or would relax once inside. Getting out was always a pleasure for them, at least! :)

Interesting... I've had dogs nearly my entire life, and not one of them ever got into a car willingly, or would relax once inside. Getting out was always a pleasure for them, at least! :)

That's just plain weird. Every dog I've had loved car rides. I've always believed that the car represented separation from their family; therefore the opportunity to go in the car with the family meant they weren't being left alone. Chauncey, the Irish Setter we had from middle school past college, would run free if he had the chance, and the only way to corral him was to get him close to the car and call out "wanna go for a ride?" Of course, he eventually figured it out and wouldn't fall for it, but he sure loved car rides.

Gracie and Coltrane are very mellow in the car once they get settled and realize they are in for a long drive.

I had two cats, and while they definitely didn't like car rides (or being caged more generally), they would settle down when they heard my voice and could see me. But I had two times they had to travel apart and they created a ruckus the whole time (I was told).

That's just plain weird. Every dog I've had loved car rides. I've always believed that the car represented separation from their family; therefore the opportunity to go in the car with the family meant they weren't being left alone. Chauncey, the Irish Setter we had from middle school past college, would run free if he had the chance, and the only way to corral him was to get him close to the car and call out "wanna go for a ride?" Of course, he eventually figured it out and wouldn't fall for it, but he sure loved car rides.

Gracie and Coltrane are very mellow in the car once they get settled and realize they are in for a long drive.

Our present pug, Henry, is OK on car rides but if he's looking out of the window he wants to stop and play with everyone he sees and shouts at them. Our first pug, Toby, hated going in the car, would scream the whole time. Going down to Sussex with him was a nightmare.

But the cat loved going in the car. She'd curl up on the rear shelf and go to sleep.

MG

I don't mind other people's pets, but since I've been delivering hospital beds to people I must say I'm disturbed by the number of people who live like animals. People whose homes positively reek of animal urine and are covered in pet hair. People who don't clean up after their animals and don't train their animals. People like that shouldn't have pets, as they are incapable of taking care of themselves much less an animal.

The whole experience has turned me off having pets. I like nice, friendly, clean animals. I might be more of a dog person since they tend to be more personable. But...I don't think I want one or to clean up after one. No thanks.

I don't mind other people's pets, but since I've been delivering hospital beds to people I must say I'm disturbed by the number of people who live like animals. People whose homes positively reek of animal urine and are covered in pet hair. People who don't clean up after their animals and don't train their animals. People like that shouldn't have pets, as they are incapable of taking care of themselves much less an animal.

The whole experience has turned me off having pets. I like nice, friendly, clean animals. I might be more of a dog person since they tend to be more personable. But...I don't think I want one or to clean up after one. No thanks.

So you're delivering hospital beds to people, and you think cleanliness is their number one problem? You know, I have to admit, the cat hair is starting to build up under the bed (Smedley and Gummitch both like to sleep under there when I'm not home), and in all honesty, I just don't have the energy these days to give a shit. I guess the responsible thing would have been to immediately have all my pets put down when the doctor informed me that I had cancer and would have to start chemo; after all, I pretty much knew energy would be a problem. Being a selfish, irresponsible person, I decided instead just to not invite judgmental assholes over anymore...

Okay, I'm not really that offended, but one thing that the experience of cancer (multiple myeloma for those interested) has taught me is that the proper response to any judgmental comment is 'fuck off'. Worry about your own life.

I suppose I deserve that, and I should have qualified it by saying that many of the people I deliver to are in such bad shape that I totally understand why their house is dirty--but it sure isn't true of all of them. These beds are loaned out for free to whoever fills out a form. MOST of the time there is someone else there who ought to be cleaning up. A free pass is given to everyone who is too old or too fucked up and has zero help.

And no matter what, I'm polite and I deliver with a smile on my face. I'm glad to help, sincerely. I don't voice my thoughts about the fat and lazy but perfectly mobile person who is sitting on the couch watching reality TV rather than doing anything to improve the living situation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...