Thank You Rhino!

Matthew

I hate to be a stick-in-the-mud but I'm becoming increasingly wary of vinyl reissues by the day. I used to think that people who worried about whether or not it was from an analog source simply needed another hobby but....they're right. As it turns out, a vinyl repressing mastered by digital means results in a CD on vinyl. You're still at the mercy of samples-per-second. It's not the real thing. I don't give a damn what medium it's pressed on. It's just a series of snapshots of the original analog feed.

NOTE: I've not seen the reissue vinyl of this particular release yet. It might be pressed from an analog master but I doubt it. Either way, the whole 180gm thing is a sham. Why bother, if it's just a CD pressed on vinyl.

I don't mean to neglect the fact that Psychocandy--a great record!--is due for a better mastering job on CD or otherwise. That record got me through junior high!

Edited by Brandon Burke

I love this album too. It takes me back to college. I also loved their b-sides compilation and had I been listening to it on LP I would have worn it out! I haven't gotten them out for a while, so thanks for the reminder.

I am also suspicious of some of these LP re-issues. Don't know whether this particular LP is analog or not, but Brandon's right on the broader issue.

• 3 weeks later...

This IS a fine record...brings me back to my college days.

Jim, I know you're just teasin' and not makin' fun - so I'm not trying to "defend" it or convince you of anything - but it's actually one 80's pop record you might be interested in hearing because there's a VERY strong Brian Wilson/Beach Boys influence in the writing, and I know how much you are a fan of Wilson.

Basically, a lot of their best tunes sound like good quality Brian Wilson tunes put through a post-punk shredder - or another analogy would be like listening to said tunes on a transistor radio picking up an AM radio station that's just about out of range.

While as you might imagine this type of formula was BOUND to wear kind of thin quickly, it's great fun taken in this small vinyl dose.

I'm not at all averse to 80s pop (or any other era, for that matter). Just that the mid-80s were when I slowly but surely lost my inner urge to "keep up" with things pop, if you know what I mean, and this was one of the many bands that slipped by. Heard OF them, and heard lots of good things ABOUT them from people I trusted, but just never made the effort to check'em out - the first sign of Middle Age, that and actually valuing sleep over TV, sex, or food at 4 AM, although that one took a little longer to gain footing. I'm sure they're exactly as you describe, and I'm sure I'd enjoy this album.

But somebody's gonna have to give it to me! :g

Seriously, I was "young" once, and remain "young", but it's a frozen "young" set in a particular time frame, and the soundtrack's already been written. The pop/rock version of it anyway. The other idioms are still in constant flux, although the "hard bop" volume might be ready for a test pressing in a year or so.

But you know soundtracks - there's always room for a Volume 2 if a surprise demand develops! ;)

I snagged this after this thread first appeared ... and I like it!!!

All the descriptions are apt, esp the one from DrJ - Brian Wilson through post-punker shreader. Perfect!

Eric

There's no shortage of Ramones either. Sure, the Ramones got much of what they did from the Beach Boys and Jan & Dean but it's safe to say that Psychocandy would never have been made w/o the Ramones. This is especially in evidence on rockers like track #2.

Yeah, I know it's in print in the UK, but I really don't want to pay $20+ for something I already have on two formats. Thanks, though.

BTW, did any of you ever see them live? They put on one of the grossest live shows I've ever seen... Still a great band, though.

Edited by J Larsen

Matthew, where did you find the Rhino re-issue? Was it some insanely limited thing? I can't find it on their website or in stores. I'm actually interested in getting a cd copy. I have a record and a tape from when I was a teenager, but I really want a cd that I can rip to my iPod.

Just walked into Ameoba's on Sunset Blvd., and it was right there. Probaly can order it on line at Redtrumpet, etc. Great Record!

Yeah, I know it's in print in the UK, but I really don't want to pay $20+ for something I already have on two formats. Thanks, though.

BTW, did any of you ever see them live? They put on one of the grossest live shows I've ever seen... Still a great band, though.

It is in print in the US on Warner Bros. Check it out. CD Now

Brandon - presume you were pulling for the Horns? I bet it was a fun game, although I was a little po'd with the outcome :angry: At least it sets up a pretty good Texas/OSU game next week. Hook 'em, I don't like OSU!!!

On the basis of Psycho, I picked up 21 Singles and happen to be listening to it right now. Kulu, your are right, they also sound great without the fuzzed out guitar. This stuff is right up my alley ... how did I snooze on them back in the day?

Oh yeah, I was in my "post-punk, nothing but jazz phase" (which thankfully I have broken free of) :P

Eric