If Lou Donaldson Musty Rusty had been recorded on Blue Note

Dan Gould

1. It would be recognized as one of his all-time bests of the kind, right up there with Alligator Boogaloo and The Natural Soul and Midnight Creeper.

2. It would be much easier to obtain because it would have been released multiple times ... Rare Groove, RVG. Hell it might still be in print.

Lou, Bill Hardman and Grant Green never sounded better, and I was shocked to realize its Billy Gardiner on organ, I was sure it was Big John. Gardiner kicks butt!

I'd normally say "YMMV" but if you've heard it, your mileage can't vary. This is classic soul jazz of an extremely high order.

Who is with me?

There was an issue of dubious legality/quality a few years back, runs about $40 nowadays on Amazon Marketplace. It's odd because some of his other Cadet/Argo releases aren't so tough to find on vinyl but this seems to be pretty rare.

It was always hard to get when it was new. I never saw a copy, new or second hand, except my mate's copy (and 'At his best'), both of which I taped, until I got the twofer issued on Jazzbeat, not too many years ago. And there's not a lot got past me back in the day.

Cadet was always a HARD label to get over here. The Andorrans, I believe, have a good grasp on what's likely to sell in Europe in the way of soul jazz.

Both those albums are superb. The substitution of Calvin Newborn for Grant Green and Grady Tate for Ben Dixon brought no deterioration whatever in the music - in fact, Newborn is a more interesting guitarist than GG (though GG is my favourite) and made relatively few appearances on jazz LPs back in those days, so his work was greatly sought after by soul jazz fans.

MG

There would be a good Mosaic in collecting Lou's Chess/Argo material.

Per Wikipedia, the suggested Mosaic would contain the following:

Signifyin' (7/17/63)

Possum Head (1/28/64)

Cole Slaw (6/19/64)

Rough House Blues (12/64)

Musty Rusty (6/3/65)

Fried Buzzard (8/6 & 7/65)

Blowing In The Wind (8/30/66)

At His Best (8/30/66)

I'd imagine it would fit on 4 CDs. Maybe that's the problem: not large enough for Mosaic.