Return Of The Film Corner Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

Influence on George Lucas, correct?  Particularly the Death Star run in the first Star Wars film?

I've heard that too but take it with a pinch of salt.

The bombing run on the dams was performed by single planes, with one attack starting after another.

The operation was finely worked out with the bombs released at a precise altitude and distance from the target, leaving no margin for either error or daring do.

I can't remember exactly how the attacks took place in SW, but they struck me as far more chaotic and gung ho.

I think the film was made with an emphasis on technical accuracy. The cool of the aircrews was amazing, they hardly reacted to seeing their comrades going down in flames. I don't know if that's how it happened but it made sense with the general tough, stiff upper lip ethos shown throughout the film.

Edited by kinuta

Going to see The Last Jedi tomorrow... will let you know if it's any good... i must say that as a life long Star Wars fan i've started to sour on it a bit... if it wasn't being directed by Rian Johnson (or another interesting director) i'd probably give it a miss to be honest.

Last night i watched The Red Shoes for the first time. Wow. What a film. 

9 hours ago, ejp626 said:

Has anyone seen Del Toro's latest, The Shape of Water?  I'm probably going to catch it next week. 

Then the following weekend I'll take my son to The Last Jedi.  I figure some of the hype will have died down and we won't have trouble getting seats.

The Shape of Water

My question as well. Anyone seen this one? I thought Sally Hawkins did a great job in Maudie and I am curious about this one.

9 hours ago, paul secor said:

The-Big-Sick-2017-movie-poster.jpg

Decent entertainment, nothing more, but that was ok.
Just from watching this, Kumail Nanjiani is a better actor than comedian. That's not surprising, given the state of comedy these days.

I liked it more as entertainment and must like him better as a comedian. Actually, his monologue on Saturday Night Live made me get the film on Netflix.

14 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

I liked it more as entertainment and must like him better as a comedian. Actually, his monologue on Saturday Night Live made me get the film on Netflix.

I'm only familiar with him from my experience with The Big Sick, not as a comedian. Perhaps his role in that film was intended as a stand up comedian who wasn't very funny.

13 hours ago, kinuta said:

What did you think of The Last Jedi?

It's showing nearby at a brand new IMAX cinema and I'm wondering if I should go and see it.

I'm not a Star Wars aficionado, but we enjoyed it (even at 155 minutes). The "fans" were having a good time clapping, gesturing at the screen, etc.

I'm glad we saw it - a fun way to spend a few hours on a Friday afternoon.

Edited by jlhoots

Christmas Holiday - Robert Siodmak (1944)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_C6kND_Ezjv4/S_YFpIXKHLI/AAAAAAAAAYk/DyvvwfPiolA/s1600/Christmas-Holiday.jpg

The thread asking if Die Hard was a Xmas film prompted me to watch this again.

The title would lead you to expect a Bedford Falls tableau of snow, Xmas trees and Norman Rockwell happy families.

Actually it's an a melancholy but impressive minor key noir with no hint at all of festive cheer.

Finally saw The Last Jedi yesterday, in IMAX 3D. It's been roughly a couple of weeks since it came out, i've read/heard all the spoilers and have heard from friends that love it and friends that HATE it. 

I really enjoyed it. Probably need to see it again on a small screen to get a bit more critical (seeing it in IMAX from the 4th row definitely added to the experience). 

I get why some people didn't like it. Definitely see a lot of Rian Johnson in it, particularly with some of the beats and lines. The humour didn't bother me like it has for some. There's some WTF weird moments but overall i found them charming, reminded me of eighties fantasy sci-fi weirdness in a good way. A lot of the time i was thinking, "my son is gonna love this (when he gets old enough)", and i guess i kind of do view the film through a kid's eyes. Visually the film is stunning. I liked the script, liked the plot; again a lot of the things that have rubbed people the wrong way didn't bother me. For me it's big budget epic space schlock done with some flavour. Way prefer TLJ to Rogue One, for example.

I hope that kids are seeing it and loving it.

On 12/17/2017 at 0:05 AM, kinuta said:

Christmas Holiday - Robert Siodmak (1944)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_C6kND_Ezjv4/S_YFpIXKHLI/AAAAAAAAAYk/DyvvwfPiolA/s1600/Christmas-Holiday.jpg

The thread asking if Die Hard was a Xmas film prompted me to watch this again.

The title would lead you to expect a Bedford Falls tableau of snow, Xmas trees and Norman Rockwell happy families.

Actually it's an a melancholy but impressive minor key noir with no hint at all of festive cheer.

I saw that a few years ago when I was on a bit of a Deanna Durbin kick, and yes, definitely not what the title would lead you to expect.  Also responsible for introducing Frank Loesser's "Spring Will Be A Little Late This Year" (sung by Durbin's character in the film).

I managed to sneak in The Shape of Water after all (and hope to catch The Last Jedi this weekend -- it has been quite a challenge avoiding spoilers!). 

It was entertaining and mostly looked good (not the rain*), but it was completely predictable.  I was more interested in the Cold War fable trappings (the cars, the boxy houses in suburbia) than the fate of the main characters.  It's also probably impossible to avoid comparisons with ET in a movie like this, but there are several things lifted from ET (and arguably Dark City), as well as a scene taken almost verbatim from Delicatessen.  For some reason I thought it was PG, and it was much racier than I expected, but in fact it is rated R.  Overall, a qualified thumbs up...

* The rain looked completely fake.  Maybe it should have been added in digitally... 

BTW, I saw a trailer for the next Wes Anderson film -- Isle of Dogs.  Looks absolutely horrible in all senses of the word.