all things emusic

John B

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parkertown - They put a 45 tune limit on the DL Manager to try and limit the people who load up dozens of albums at a time and abuse the system. The limit is only on what can be cued at any one time, though. As long as you clean out the cues, you can still d/l as many albums as you want.

• 2 weeks later...

emusic has just added the Beggars Banquet family of labels. New discs available from The Pixies, Stereolab, Badly Drawn Boy, The Fall, PJ Harvey, Mouse on Mars, Bauhaus, Cocteau Twins plus many more I am forgetting.

This Mortal Coil, Dead Can Dance, Love & Rockets, Peter Murphy, Kristen Hersch, Fields of the Nephilim, etc.

They only have one or two albums for many of these artists, but still....nice to have.

BTW, if you do a Label search for "Beggars" you get the whole 'family'.

For Stereolab so far they have added Peng! and Switched On. I am hoping they add Groop Played "Space Age Bachelor Pad Music" soon, as it is on the same label as the first two.

I already had Switched On, which is a great disc. I have already added Peng to my "stash" and will be downloading it asap. I'm excited about hearing the Pixies BBC Sessions disc finally, too.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to try posting in this thread a bit more from now on with comments on albums I discover on emusic.

If you've ever been in to the On-U Sound scene (Jamaican dub) and you have any interest in classic blues, then the Little Axe record has some interesting moments and is at least worth a listen. It might not change your world, but it's an interesting half hour.

Nicky Skopelitis has a live recording of material from the Ekstasis album that is exclusively available on emusic. If you haven't heard Ekstasis, think Damo-era can, Miles' Live-Evil record, touches of the modern indie experimental scene, and very capable musicians. It's been a long time since I heard the studio version of the album, but going by memory I think this live version is much better.

I've actually found quite a few interesting, unexpected or unknown (to me) records on the site. I'll try to comment on a couple a day.

Edited by J Larsen

Okay, one more for tonight:

I was not aware that Danny Thompson ever played in jazz contexts. I can't say that I love his Live 1967 record (mostly because the horn player is, IMO, second-rate at best), BUT it does feature some nice vintage John McLaughlin.

Yeah, that Thompson album is interesting. He's played a wide variety of music, actually. Bev knows more about him than I do, but he's quite talented.

Another interesting album is the Henry Kaiser/Leo Smith "Yo Miles!" 2-CD set. Basically a tribute to Miles' electric years - yet updated.

organissimo may soon be coming to emusic thanks to CDBaby!

:tup

great news! I've been wanting to hear your disc for a while now. how do you guys do (financially) when someone dls your disc off of emusic? I'm just curious if you see any reasonable amount. Otherwise I'll have to wait until I'm off of my current cd buying moratorium and buy a copy directly from you guys.

• 1 month later...

organissimo may soon be coming to emusic thanks to CDBaby!

:tup

First off, I'm wondering if this is still in the works or not....

Secondly, without disclosing any actual numbers, I was wondering how this worked financially for the band. Given how inexplicably inexpensive it is to download great music on Emusic, how are they making any money and how much of it would Organissimo see?

One of the reasons I'm asking is that I just discovered that two cds by the LA underground band Baby Lemonade are also available on Emusic. The guys in the band are friends of mine and they weren't even aware their music was on Emusic!

• 2 weeks later...

i joined emusic last weekend and still can't find my downloads.

i have a folder on my desktop, but nothing goes into it.

my 50 free is getting deducted as i've tried about 25 songs.

my hard drive is brand new, so i don't have alot of stuff on it

another question

can you download with norton internet security and anti virus turned on?

or would they need to be off?

ss1

Supposedly the deal with CDBaby is we get 90% of whatever they get from the sale of the music. I have no idea what they actually get per song, however.

It is supposed to be implemented sometime in the near future, but there are no hard set dates as to when that will be. I guess just keep checking.

We will definately be making more money if you buy the disc, but it's your choice. As long as our music is being heard and enjoyed, we're happy! :)

soul station, do a search for mp3 files on your computer and you should find your tunes.

can you download with norton internet security and anti virus turned on?  or would they need to be off?

ss1 - you should be able to leave any anti-virus and firewalling software running. I believe the MP3 files are transferred using the normal (but encrypted somehow) HTTP protocol -- the same way your browser transfers web pages.

Neither one should get in the way of great music automagically being delivered to your hard drive. B)