all things emusic

John B

I'm thinking of joining, and I saw on the web site that they have a "Tell a friend" program. You get 10 free downloads if I join.

emusic Tell a Friend

So, the first one who send a referal to me gets the 10 free!

Claypone aka Alec

adamsa@adelphia.net

Win-win for everyone!

I just sent one in.

I hope I'm the first.

I can ALWAYS use an extra 10 D/Ls! B-)

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All,

Wow, how on earth have I missed this thread all this time??? I just signed up at eMusic, and I've got to say that the site is great! I got 50 free downloads, which actually make up a whole bunch of jazz albums... especially the ESP albums! I think I just downloaded about 10 ESP's for free!

And it looks like they have (just about) the entire OJC catalog on there!

I sprung for the 90 downloads for $19.99 deal. With jazz albums, it looks like I can download about 12-18 albums for that price. Is this for real??? (I haven't downloaded anything except the free stuff so far).

If this is for real, then this is the best damn deal I can think of!!! 15 albums for $20!!! It sure beats iTunes prices by far!

I only wish I was hip to eMusic a couple of years ago, when I would've downloaded everything I could queue up for that low price! No wonder they changed their contract... guys like me (and some of us here, from what I've read in the pages above) probably ate them alive! :g

Anybody put these downloads into their iPod? How much space does the average OJC take up... same as ripping it from a CD?

Cheers,

Shane

Shane, welcome to the club! Yeah, it was amazingly great a couple of years ago - I probably downloaded over 500 OJCs in just a few months. I went away for a while, but have been back to sample the ESPs and some of the other indie labels.

"average size" is probably 40-60 MBs, only about 1/10 the size of a ripped CD.

Shane, welcome to the club! Yeah, it was amazingly great a couple of years ago - I probably downloaded over 500 OJCs in just a few months. I went away for a while, but have been back to sample the ESPs and some of the other indie labels.

"average size" is probably 40-60 MBs, only about 1/10 the size of a ripped CD.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the good news! I've got a bad feeling I'll be hooked on that site! :tup

I was reading some of the previous posts in this thread, and it appears as though the eMusic Download program uses LAME variable bit rate encoding, which is usually a good thing. I noticed that some OJC's are listed as 128k only, which I can live with. Other times the VBR encoding rate is much higher.

My question to you all: Is there anyway to "self-select" the encoding rate PRIOR to downloading?

Cheers,

Shane

Wait a minute....

Holy crap! I can download the entire Coltrane European Tour 7CD set on Pablo for $8.58 (39 songs at 22 cents a song)???

Sure, I don't get the cover art or liner notes (the notes in particular would be important to me), but I can get most of that info off the web anyway.

eMusic rules! And it appears as though royalties get paid, so that makes me feel better about using this service.

Any ideas as to whether Verve/Universal is ever coming back to eMusic? Or has their move to iTunes pretty much killed the hopes of a comeback?

Cheers,

Shane

I was reading some of the previous posts in this thread, and it appears as though the eMusic Download program uses LAME variable bit rate encoding, which is usually a good thing.  I noticed that some OJC's are listed as 128k only, which I can live with.  Other times the VBR encoding rate is much higher.

My question to you all: Is there anyway to "self-select" the encoding rate PRIOR to downloading?

I'm pretty sure you can't select your encoding rate at EMusic. Subscribers just have to take whatever EMusic has already put up, unless they "re-encode" at a higher (or variable) rate, and then upload the new files.

Incidentally, I just came across this article: Understanding Audio Compression: MP3, WMA, Ogg, and More. It includes an interesting discussion of MP3 encoding rates:

This is why 128kb/s constant bit rate MP3's are so popular, they make audio much easier to transport by creating a file that is over ten times smaller than the original.  The problem with this is that you also lose data that can be heard when going to such a small bit rate.  While I'd never permanently store audio like this, 10:1 compression is very useful for small mobile devices that aren't capable of delivering perfect audio clarity anyway.

MP3s are convenient, but they'll never be as good as having the original CD.

Perhaps the best deal on emusic are the Braxton albums. Often only one or two tracks to download and you have the entire disc. ;)

Conversely, I can't understand why anyone would ever download any of the JSP sets that are available. At a hundred or so tracks, it may actually be cheaper to buy the budget-priced JSP boxes in the first place.

• 2 weeks later...

How does the average sound quality compare to that of a CD? I understand that it won't be as good, but is it almost as good?

I guess it depends on how picky you are and how you are playing the files. I use them mostly on my MP3 player and they sound fine. I suppose if you had an audiophile system in your house, you might notice the compression.

You should try the FREE 50-song trial and listen for yourself. That's the best way to tell.

How does the average sound quality compare to that of a CD? I understand that it won't be as good, but is it almost as good?

A few years back, when emusic used 128 kps mp3s, I could easily hear a difference. Sometimes it was objectionable, sometimes not. Since they switched to VBR (probably 99% of their stuff now), the quality is much better. I'm sure you'd be able to hear a difference if you A-B'd the tracks with a real CD, but just listening casually you might not even notice.

I don't think this has been mentioned yet: emusic has now added the Aum Fidelity label. There are some great albums to be found here. Artists they have up and running so far include:

Joe Morris

Daniel Carter And Reuben Radding

William Parker And Hamid Drake

David S. Ware Quartet

Whit Dickey Trio

Joe Morris And Mat Maneri

I don't think this has been mentioned yet: emusic has now added the Aum Fidelity label. There are some great albums to be found here. Artists they have up and running so far include:

Joe Morris

Daniel Carter And Reuben Radding

William Parker And Hamid Drake

David S. Ware Quartet

Whit Dickey Trio

Joe Morris And Mat Maneri

That Joe Morris album features his acoustic guitar playing. I was surprised at how well his language translated to the non-electric guitar. I downloaded a few cuts and now I think I will buy the darned thing! Having not heard Morris' playing in a while, it sounded new again. :tup

All Music gives that David S. Ware album ("Corridors & Parallels") a RAVE review. It's in my "Save for later" list as we speak.

e95274oouct.jpg

Thanks for the heads-up on that label.

It's definitely different. I didn't like it, while I've loved almost everythinhg he did before that. I listened to it twice, but put it in a sell pile.

On the other side of the coin, you'll have to pry "Godspellized" from my cold, dead hands. :tup

• 3 weeks later...

I joined and I think that 10 $ for 40 tracks is enough.

Few questions to those of you who have more expirience:

1. I didn't use all my 50 free downloads and joined 2 months ago. It seems thay disappeared - is it possible?

2. What happens if you don't download for a month or download less that 40 tracks?

3. Do they charge automatically so that even of you haven't download anything this month you still payed the 10 bucks?

Edited by Alon Marcus

I joined and I think that 10 $ for 40 tracks is enough.

Few questions to those of you who have more expirience:

1. I didn't use all my 50 free downloads and joined 2 months ago. It seems thay disappeared - is it possible?

2. What happens if you don't download for a month or download less that 40 tracks?

3. Do they charge automatically so that even of you haven't download anything this month you still payed the 10 bucks?

At the end of a month any unused tracks disappear. You don't use them, you lose them. It sounds like that is what happened to your free 50.

Yes, you get charged $10 a month regardless of how much you download.

I keep a list of albums I want to download, along with how many tracks are on each. Within the first week of a new month I download all 40 tracks for the month so I don't forget and lose out on some of them.

At the end of a month any unused tracks disappear. You don't use them, you lose them. It sounds like that is what happened to your free 50.

Wow! That's a real ripoff. It's not like you didn't have to pay for those tracks with your monthly fee in the first place.

Heck, even the cell phone companies are now rolling over minutes to the next month.

:tdown