Bob Cranshaw - RIP

Chuck Nessa

14 hours ago, jeffcrom said:

So at a certain point, perhaps a journeyman craftsman achieves critical mass and crosses over into artistic greatness. That's how I think about Cranshaw. I'm glad I got to hear him a couple of times. RIP.

I think consideration was given to how many great records he was on, indeed, how many great Sonny Rollins gigs he was on, and after a while, it's like, hey, this guy again, he's not bringing anybody down, he's never a weak link or anything, when it gets heavy, he goes there with it, and yeah, it finally sinks in that no, not everybody can do that or make that claim.

8 hours ago, JSngry said:

I think consideration was given to how many great records he was on, indeed, how many great Sonny Rollins gigs he was on, and after a while, it's like, hey, this guy again, he's not bringing anybody down, he's never a weak link or anything, when it gets heavy, he goes there with it, and yeah, it finally sinks in that no, not everybody can do that or make that claim.

Talk about job perks.  How many bassists would have taken that job?  It's one thing to have a steady gig and another to play with one of the greatest improvisors of all time.

I,like many.Are saddened by hearing the news about Bob Cranshaw recently.I so admired and respected his talents.Talked with him not long ago.About  a project I'm currently doing of my late uncle Duke Pearson.And the time he spent playing with.him.And.the close.relationship they had.As as always,he was gracious and kind.He told me wonderful stories of himself,Bob Cranshaw and Mickey Roker.And there time together in New York as young men.Love him swinging on uncle Dukes How Insensitive album.My favourite from that session is Little Yellow Street Car.(Bunda Amarela) with all-star cast.Listen to B ok b Cranshaw,Duke Pearson,Bobby Hutcherson and Mickey Roker swing like crazy on this one.It never have gotten much airplay.But it's a great tune.R.I.P. Mr.Cranshaw.