• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

MTEtMjA2OS5qcGVn.jpeg

Sammy Davis Jr. - The Wham of Sam (Warner Archives)
This CD compiles Davis' collaborations with arranger/conductor/producer Marty Paich; originally, these cuts were spread across many LPs.

Excellent!

You know the album of Sammy singing with the Buddy Rich band, right?

A little goes a long way, but on "Ding Dong, The Witch Is Dead", it does indeed go there. And on "The Birth Of The Blues"...it goes to the other there. Too bad about that.

too bad they couldn't/didn't get Oliver Nelson or Gerald Wilson to write the charts. Oh well, they're all dead now, and tis is the decision they made. So be it.

1 minute ago, JSngry said:

You know the album of Sammy singing with the Buddy Rich band, right?

I've not heard that.  Will definitely give it a listen.  Thanks for the heads-up.  :tup 

Next up, more Sammy -- with Count Basie:

51QPFDZ9-gL.jpg

2 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

I've not heard that.  Will definitely give it a listen.  Thanks for the heads-up.  :tup 

Overall more than a "DUCK!!!" than a "heads-up", but if you're wondering about these type things, then you'll want to at least hear it.

2 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Overall more than a "DUCK!!!" than a "heads-up", but if you're wondering about these type things, then you'll want to at least hear it.

:D  Yeah, I hear you.

I'm on a bit of a Sammy Davis kick.  I've just ordered his autobiography -- the version that combines both Yes I Can and Why Me? 

Looking forward to reading it.    

32 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

:D  Yeah, I hear you.

I'm on a bit of a Sammy Davis kick.  I've just ordered his autobiography -- the version that combines both Yes I Can and Why Me? 

Looking forward to reading it.    

Tell you what, there were a lot of reasons to get Squeamish About Sammy, but underneath it all, the guy was an incredible old-school talent with an old-school mentality that you didn't half-ass ANYTHING. The older I get, the more I appreciate that, because...skills matter. And work ethic is a core character quality.

Besides, an old Sammy was a thing to behold, singing and dancing and anything else he wanted to do. The guy started literally as a toddler and never stopped. The life experiences he had....whatever directions they took, he owned them all, so...you don't have to "love" him, but i think you gotta respect the hell out of him. There's things to be learned there, real things.

3 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Tell you what, there were a lot of reasons to get Squeamish About Sammy, but underneath it all, the guy was an incredible old-school talent with an old-school mentality that you didn't half-ass ANYTHING. The older I get, the more I appreciate that, because...skills matter. And work ethic is a core character quality.

Besides, an old Sammy was a thing to behold, singing and dancing and anything else he wanted to do. The guy started literally as a toddler and never stopped. The life experiences he had....whatever directions they took, he owned them all, so...you don't have to "love" him, but i think you gotta respect the hell out of him. There's things to be learned there, real things.

Agree completely.  Davis was incredibly gifted -- and perhaps even more driven to succeed. 

And what a complicated life, full of paradoxes.  For example, until just recently, I didn't know that Davis was "uninvited" to JFK's inauguration when the administration learned that he was marrying a white woman.  That horrible rejection makes Davis' subsequent embrace of Richard Nixon easier to understand -- even as it alienated him from most African-Americans and cemented his reputation in the black community as an "Uncle Tom." ... Learning about that made me want to dig more deeply into Davis' life.  Yet another instance of things being much more complicated than they appear to be on the surface.

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

He starred  with Ethel Watters in a short film when he was 8 years old!  He's pretty good too. I saw him  perform in a night club  when I was about 13.  Talk about "anything else he wanted to do": what he wanted to do was demonstrate his quick draw skills. I was more impressed with Bobby Darin whom  I  saw the same week (I was on vacation in Florida with my parents).