JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

34,090 posts in this topic

Just now, John Tapscott said:

See the source image

Oh man, "Multicolored Blue" is so magnificent. Strayhorn the composer in full flight!

Lots of Hammond B3 organ today. Funny how that happens. Didn't set out with that intention. 

These guys swing something fierce!

MI0002797391.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Whatever became of Rod Williams? He only made two records as a leader, both for Muse. (Hanging in the Balance was his debut in 1989.) I see sideman work for Cassandra Wilson and David Murray. But not much else. Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Edited by HutchFan

7 hours ago, Tom 1960 said:

511Mef-YGqL._SX425_.jpg

Great ! 

3 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Lots of Hammond B3 organ today. Funny how that happens. Didn't set out with that intention. 

These guys swing something fierce!

👍!

10 hours ago, HutchFan said:

MI0002797391.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Whatever became of Rod Williams? He only made two records as a leader, both for Muse. (Hanging in the Balance was his debut in 1989.) I see sideman work for Cassandra Wilson and David Murray. But not much else. Anyone know what he's up to these days?

Nice player.  I've seen him in Detroit a couple of times in the last couple of years with some of Detroit's finest, most recently backing Phil Ranelin for his 80th Birthday show.  Mark Stryker may be able to tell you whether Williams is still mainly based in New York, though.  The first time I saw him was so I could see a full gig with saxophonist Cassius Richmond, whose huge sound has captivated me whenever I've heard him playing outdoors.  

Last night, another Hammond B3 hero:

R-9327968-1533670834-9132.jpeg.jpg

Compilation of Muse cuts from the latter half of the 1970s, including the complete Infant Eyes LP. 

Now:

81hI7pb+UYL._SS500_.jpg

41 minutes ago, John Tapscott said:

R-7804855-1462091608-7060.jpeg.jpg

👍👍👍!!!

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

Always a pleasure. 

Download (2).jpg

And still mind-blowing! 

NP:

81Esd5pcRhL._SS500_.jpg

Michael Blake - Drift (Intution, 2000)

First impressions: More stunning compositions & playing, Mingus-ian in scope.

Why isn't Blake more well-known?  I can't believe that I'm 20 years late to the party.

9 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

NP:

81Esd5pcRhL._SS500_.jpg

Michael Blake - Drift (Intution, 2000)

First impressions: More stunning compositions & playing, Mingus-ian in scope.

Why isn't Blake more well-known?  I can't believe that I'm 20 years late to the party.

Agree re: Blake. Get Tiddy Boom for more recent work (2014). Quartet with Frank Kimbrough, Ben Allison & Rudy Royston. There are time gaps in his career that I can't account for.

2 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Agree re: Blake. Get Tiddy Boom for more recent work (2014). Quartet with Frank Kimbrough, Ben Allison & Rudy Royston. There are time gaps in his career that I can't account for.

Will do, jhoots. Thanks for the rec. :tup 

I was expecting (at least) some fall-off on Drift after the superb The Kingdom of Champa.   But there is none whatsoever!  Drift is different -- but equally wonderful and evocative. ... I hear LIFE in Blake's music, and -- from this listener's perspective -- that's probably the best thing you can say about any music. 

600x600.jpg

Beloved platter nevertheless still growing on me .... a close race with Jerry Gonzalez "Rumba Para Monk" for the most convincing Thelonious Monk hommage @my house ....

24 minutes ago, HutchFan said:

Will do, jhoots. Thanks for the rec. :tup 

I was expecting (at least) some fall-off on Drift after the superb The Kingdom of Champa.   But there is none whatsoever!  Drift is different -- but equally wonderful and evocative. ... I hear LIFE in Blake's music, and -- from this listener's perspective -- that's probably the best thing you can say about any music. 

Kingdom Of Champa is phenomenal. Ordered Drift today!!

5a1a53ee84a052aa695ffb2c63f8b9dba3ee8039

And this Annette Peacock homage is definitely "Touching" ....