Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

41%2B-xOzf-vL._SY400_.jpg

Disc 1: Whenever I think that the financially smart thing to do would be to downgrade to the earlier Columbia sets, something grabs me and I know I am keeping this.  Yesterday it was the way the group hits with Blanton and Strayhorn's arrangements on Disc 7.  Today it is the opportunity to hear these soloists trade solos in such a loose setting.  The addition of Ceele Burke on steel guitar is brilliant.  This is a set that will continue to pay dividends the more I revisit it.

Edited by Justin V

R-3338782-1326434375.jpeg.jpg

R-3338782-1529490596-5889.jpeg.jpg

Would this music have had a reason to exist without it being commissioned for a soundtrack? I know, every music comes into existence because of some kind of an impetus, but I have a hard time imagining Bud Shank creating these pieces to play at Donte's or wherever. Of course. I'm probably wrong.

No matter, everybody plays really well here. The rhythm trio is particularly locked in.

Does anybody have a quick/ready list of all the recording that Gary Peacock di for PJ in particular, or out on the WC in general?

R-3099510-1324155021.jpeg.jpg

Neither aspirational enough or realized enough to be particularly inspiring.

In truth (and with a buttload full of hindsight made possible by all kinds of then-unknown-to-the-beneral-public recordings and such), what this music sounds like to me is like, Chick and Holland kept pushing Miles to go more "free" or "out" or whatever adjective you want to use, and Miles gave them their head to a good degree, but not totally, and finally told them to get their own band if that's what they wanted to do. This music sounds like that - like a Lost Quintet Gone Free - a lot more than I realized when just listening to the two LPs of it that I had back years ago.

The problem, though, is one of personnel. Miles held those bands together even as he let the people play their thing. Their is no suck connective force here. Woody Shaw is not Miles (nor does it seem that he's given that much to do anyway), Benny Maupin is not Wayne (and he gets in some good playing, but geez, take most any of his spots here, listen to what's going on underneath, and imagine what would be going on if Wayne was there instead(, and Hubert Laws is technically but (mostly) not temperamentally a good fit for what's going on here.

So before too much longer, Corea and Holland would break from Miles, find Altschul, and then Braxton, and that's a whole 'nother story. But this music right here, mostly, as they say, "of historical interest", imo.

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

R-3099510-1324155021.jpeg.jpg

Neither aspirational enough or realized enough to be particularly inspiring.

In truth (and with a buttload full of hindsight made possible by all kinds of then-unknown-to-the-beneral-public recordings and such), what this music sounds like to me is like, Chick and Holland kept pushing Miles to go more "free" or "out" or whatever adjective you want to use, and Miles gave them their head to a good degree, but not totally, and finally told them to get their own band if that's what they wanted to do. This music sounds like that - like a Lost Quintet Gone Free - a lot more than I realized when just listening to the two LPs of it that I had back years ago.

The problem, though, is one of personnel. Miles held those bands together even as he let the people play their thing. Their is no suck connective force here. Woody Shaw is not Miles (nor does it seem that he's given that much to do anyway), Benny Maupin is not Wayne (and he gets in some good playing, but geez, take most any of his spots here, listen to what's going on underneath, and imagine what would be going on if Wayne was there instead(, and Hubert Laws is technically but (mostly) not temperamentally a good fit for what's going on here.

So before too much longer, Corea and Holland would break from Miles, find Altschul, and then Braxton, and that's a whole 'nother story. But this music right here, mostly, as they say, "of historical interest", imo.

Very interesting thoughts !