• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Done a lot of listening to old favorites lately when home due to some component swapping and tube-rolling, and yesterday I didn't get much listening in as I was with my Dad all day.

Things are settled nicely and I'm listening today for pleasure! I started off with Antonio Carlos Jobim "Tide" which is a great Deodata-arranged session that I hadn't listened to in too long. . . .

antonio-carlos-jobim-tide-20130922163432

Then I had a hankering for Ms Betty Carter, the dynamic bandleader and trail-blazing singer. This is one of her great Verve releases, "Droppin' Things" on Verve cd. There was no one like her!

MI0002075541.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Then I moved on to Miles Davis, "Miles Smiles," the 20 bit Sony LP facsimile cd reissue. . . . TONY!

CS324732-01A-BIG.jpg

And I'm listening now to a rare mother-daughter jazz release, Toshiko Akiyoshi and Monday Michiru "Jazz Conversations"
R-14461509-1575006556-6578.jpeg.jpg

51N0W3EwcgL.jpg

Featuring the now late Mr. Bill Smith on clarinet.

61vSlxq35VL._SX425_.jpg

Chet Baker with the NDR Big Band.  I'm so used to hearing the Chet Baker of this era (late 1980's, 1987 in particular here) playing in trio, quartet or at most quintet settings, that it is somewhat disorienting to hear him backed by a full big band.  I will have to give this a second listen to really put it all together and properly evaluate it.