• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Referentzhunter said:

love this one to ...

RP

hjhjh.jpg

I remember buying this album in a small Manchester record store in the early 60s. I already had the "Now's the Time" session on a Clef EP bought in 1958 on a trip to Norway and bearing a sticker saying "Musikhuset Haugesund", but I lacked the Hank Jones session. In those days many shopkeepers would play you one track after which you had to decide whether or not to buy. After grumbling about this to a fellow jazz listener in the store - we shared a joke about requesting Miles Ahead as there was no break between tracks - Bird blew a sensational double tempo run and I paid my money and left with my new possession.:)

And now for something completely different. . . .

Archie Shepp "Attica Blues" Impulse/Universal Japan UHQCD

s-l640.jpg

I've always dug this one, showing that Shepp understood the scope of American music around him and had a unique way of fusing and melding and molding many forms into powerful statements.

Revisiting Shepp's work the last handful of weeks has been helpful in giving me an escape from the sadness in my own life. There's righteous anger and joy and a forward motion to his work that emotionally charges a listening. . . and I've needed all those elements.