Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

799884.jpg?ae=1655788141

Disc 3 of 4.  Really enjoying this set of  vintage big & small band swing.  On this disc in particular there is much to love -- Ellington,.Goodman, Hampton, Basie, Herman.  There's  Sammy Kaye track that is kind of cringe-inducing, but everything else swings.  Martha Tilton makes another appearance and she is a bit like June Christy in that just the  sound of her voice can make me feel happier and more relaxed.  She was sort of a warmer Peggy Lee.  Peggy Lee, even at her "I'm A Woman" earthiest always had a touch of iciness,  of Nordic detachment about her.  That was part of her appeal.  Martha Tilton hits that sweet spot in between Peggy Lee and Doris Day.  On "Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag" she is joined by Lt. Bob (the near destitute man's Bing) Crosby and even after he pummels the lyrics about for a bit, Ms. Titlton enters and her warmth and charm brings that record to life.

My favorite track from Disc 3 of this set is "Flying Home" by -- what's this? -- Red Norvo (with Flip Phillips and Ralph Burns)!

Edited by duaneiac