Top Posters In This Topic

• soulpope

• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Rabshakeh said:

Currently have The Secret Between The Shadow and The Soul (Okeh, 2019) by The Branford Marsalis Quartet on.

It’s... not very good. It’s going off. 

are you like me, do you cuss at the record when it's so damn bad that you can't even let it finish playing?

That pisses me off like few other things, put a record on, can't even give one fair shake to get done with itself.

6 hours ago, jazzbo said:

"The Jazz Life" Candid Records/Solid Records Japan cd.

Various_Candid8019.jpg

This is perhaps the one Candid I never owned before. And damn it sound so good in this issue!

There are more Candid releases from Solid Records released today; I have another shipment from cdJapan on the way to me. ;)

I am surprised to hear about the good sound quality of these. I had some Solid / Ultra Vybe reissues (this one form 2017, for example: https://www.discogs.com/Max-Roach-Award-Winning-Drummer/release/11446989 ) and they were just horrible, without exaggeration the worst sounding modern reissues I have heard. Unbearable pumped-up bass, tinnitus-inducing cymbals, all extremely loud. Have they become better or are they the same as before?    

I haven't heard that particular earlier reissue from Japan. These do not sound the way you describe. The majority of them are mono mixes as well (this particular one has a few stereo tracks). I have been very happy with the ones I have ordered.

Edited by jazzbo

3 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I haven't heard that particular earlier reissue from Japan. These do not sound the way you describe. The majority of them are mono mixes as well (this particular one has a few stereo tracks). I have been very happy with the ones I have ordered.

Thanks. I might buy a couple to check, they are so cheap anyway. 

7 hours ago, JSngry said:

are you like me, do you cuss at the record when it's so damn bad that you can't even let it finish playing?

That pisses me off like few other things, put a record on, can't even give one fair shake to get done with itself.

I just felt sorry for the guy. Turns out it’s harder than it looks. Who knew?

3 hours ago, Referentzhunter said:

kjkjkj.jpg

Very nice, maybe not the very best of Miles´ Prestige sessions, but especially the Al Cohn Zoot Sims session is a very relaxed date, well the tunes are catchy and for easy listening after a day of hard work....

Collector´s items also very fine. 

16 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

A delightful Duo SACD. Both Music and audio quality are really excellent.

iu-3.jpeg

Yes, Hamilton and Pozza are a great pairing.

Here they are with British bassist Andrew Clyndert at my friend Malcolm's house. It was one of the best gigs I've been to at Malcolm's.

14 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

:tup

1012.jpg

I keep wanting to tell Jon Irabagon to maybe think about taking a breath before he runs out of air, and maybe shaping his ventage with a little conscious direction, but hey, he got the gig, not me, so good for him. Venting is a valid form of musical expression. My problem is that it sounds pretty common when done as this.

On the sunny side of the street, though - GREAT to see that Barry Altschul is- and has been for a while - back on the scene. He got a little lost there visibility-wise, but, really, one of the key drummers of his time, how soon we might forget. HE sounds great here. Long may he wave!

Ok, second listen, perhaps I am being harsh about Irabagon...but it sounds like there's a secret Michael Brecker down in there that could come out and play if those kids came by and knocked on the door. But ok, he's in it, to be sure, and Altschul is inspired, so all's well then.

More Barry Altschul records, please.

R-10463510-1592105784-8082.jpeg.jpg

Abdullah Ibrahim - Mantra Mode (Enja, 1991)
Originally released on the African Echoes/Sun Records label, this CD features Ibrahim with fellow South African musicians, including Basil "Mannenberg" Coetzee.

Wonderful music.

Edited by HutchFan