Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
medjuck

Was there a discussion on the forum of Bird's longest recorded solo?

17 posts in this topic

I have a faint memory of there once being a discussion here about Bird's longest recorded solo but I'm not finding it using search.  Anyone remember it or know ho to find it?

Not sure if there was a discussion.

There's information on line suggesting that the longest solo by Bird on a commercial release is the version of "The Bird" on The Jazz Scene.

Thanks. I think I asked the question based on a long solo I'd been listening to but I can't remember what it was. 

I vaguely recall (or I'm imagining) a marathon "All the Things You Are" solo on the "Apartment Sessions" LP. I've been separated from my copy.

There's always that ecstatic long "Ornithology" solo on "One Night at Birdland."

8 hours ago, Spontooneous said:

I vaguely recall (or I'm imagining) a marathon "All the Things You Are" solo on the "Apartment Sessions" LP. I've been separated from my copy.

There's always that ecstatic long "Ornithology" solo on "One Night at Birdland."

Yes, there were some very long solos on Apartment Sessions, but I also recall what sounded like splices. (I too no longer have access to that stunning album.)

Incidentally, the wealth of live recordings now available to us shows that Bird didn't choose to play very long solos. His art was based on the perfectly constructed solo - beginning, development and end - and little would have been gained (in fact, there might have been loss) by doubling or trebling the length of his solos. When we get to Coltrane, of course things are different. ^_^

8 hours ago, BillF said:

Incidentally, the wealth of live recordings now available to us shows that Bird didn't choose to play very long solos. His art was based on the perfectly constructed solo - beginning, development and end - and little would have been gained (in fact, there might have been loss) by doubling or trebling the length of his solos. When we get to Coltrane, of course things are different. ^_^

It was mentioned in the liner notes to some Bird release (I can't locate it now) that Bird had some superstitious reason why he didn't want his solos to go on too long - 3 choruses were tops.

1 hour ago, mjzee said:

It was mentioned in the liner notes to some Bird release (I can't locate it now) that Bird had some superstitious reason why he didn't want his solos to go on too long - 3 choruses were tops.

Interesting! I'd love to know what the reason was. 

Haven't listened to it in forever, but weren't some of lengthiest solos on Bird With Strings? 

He plays a little longer than usual here:

61xQu2SBQCL._SL500_SY300_.jpg

Three choruses here, on a long form, and the amount of self--correcting is revealing, he'll flub a lick one chorus, nails it the next. I've noticed that Bird would do that a fair amount, if possible, he would NOT settle for less than perfect, even if it meant returning to a previous flub. Like he did with "Four Bothers" on that thing caught with the Herd, took him three times through the bridge to really start hearing it, but once he did, he had it, and then he was done.

7 choruses of blues

I agree about the Dirdland stuff with Fats, that's some of the best Bird ever.

From my friend Bill Kirchner:

'The Rockland Palace “Lester Leaps In" clocks at about 4:20 -- all Bird in-and-out heads and a stunning solo. That’s about as long a recorded live solo as we have for Parker -- much longer is unlikely.'

I hope that's the speed-corrected take (which was done by Doug Pomeroy); the original LP reissue had them playing in the key of B.

Posted (edited)

This is sure more than 3 choruses and maybe the longest Bird solo I've ever heard.   But I don't know where this is from. Not identified on Youtube. Can anyone here i.d. it?  Is this from The Apartment tapes 

Edited by medjuck

Seems to be from that, yes. That video eliminates the splices/cuts/whatever of the original release (starts at 41:05):

Still, yes, more than three choruses before then!

That seems to be in Bb rather than the usual Ab? But there's no pitch-correction needed? At least not much?

Interesting...was somebody challenging somebody? Maybe Bird was challenging himself? And maybe that's why he played more choruses, challenging himself in an atypical key?

8 hours ago, medjuck said:

This is sure more than 3 choruses and maybe the longest Bird solo I've ever heard.   But I don't know where this is from. Not identified on Youtube. Can anyone here i.d. it?  Is this from The Apartment tapes 

Yes, it's from the Apartment sessions - and I still can hear the splice. Sensational playing, though!!!

So do you think it's a compilation from different sets? Ot is it one solo? 

1 hour ago, medjuck said:

So do you think it's a compilation from different sets? Ot is it one solo? 

Whoever recorded the Apartment Sessions omitted all solos except Bird's, so on "All the Things" he may have come back for a second solo after (an)other soloist(s).

and then the out-chorus, at the bridge.