The 'Mats

trane123

As much of a jazz guy that I am and I know that this may be the wrong place for this but...

...I love the Replacements.  One of the great underappreciated (?) groups from the '80s.  Just released was the "The Replacements For Sale: Live from Maxwell's 1986".  A total shambles and totally great. 

I recently saw a doc on the Clash, mainly about their rise from a punk band to a serious, politically active and influential rock band....

Fuck the Clash...Gimme a great rock band...Gimme the Replacements...

Edited by trane123
changes

Thanks for starting this thread--I actually searched for a Replacements topic a few days ago to post about the new CD, but could find only one that referred to a recent vinyl box-set.  I picked this up last week and have listened to it a couple of times already... great stuff.  I saw them at the Patio in Indianapolis in 1985, gaining admission with a very bogus piece of ID (saw Husker Du there that same summer--great time to be a teenager into indie rock).  One of the great rock 'n roll bands of our generation (also went by Ardent Studios in Memphis recently, where the 'Mats recorded Pleased To Meet Me in 1986-87).

• 5 years later...

Hold on to your hats, fellow ‘Mats fans—a box set edition of their classic 1985 album Tim is on the way, featuring a new mix (the original was infamously cloudy), the entirety of the Alex Chilton-produced sessions, and a smokin’ live 1986 show at Chicago’s Metro. Rhino’s prior three Replacements expanded-album sets have been uniformly excellent, and I’m in on this one as well:

The Replacements: Tim box set

• 5 months later...

Still can’t bring myself to file this one away just yet—so damned enjoyable, all of it, the new mix, the alternates and outtakes, the live show, and an outstanding booklet. One of my favorite rock reissues of all time, I’d have to say.

The-Replacements-Tim-Let-It-Bleed-Editio

Edited by ghost of miles