MLB 2018: let the games begin!

38 minutes ago, Brad said:

I watched a good part of the Braves game last night.  Very good game. Perhaps a WS preview.  Yankee announcers were moaning that Judge got a glove on the ball but replays showed he never had a chance to catch it, even though the ball nicked the glove. Live by the porch, die by the porch. 

I went to bed after the Yankees failed to score with the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the 10th; at that point, I knew that having blown so many opportunities, they were most likely going to lose.  They were 0-12 with RISP last night... pathetic.  And for all of the talk about the "weakness" of the Braves' bullpen, it was the Yankees' that ultimately folded with D-Rob in the 11th.  Kudos to the Braves for gutting out that win.  To me the biggest failure was Greg Bird striking out on three straight pitches in that bases-loaded, one-out situation in the 10th, when a sac fly or almost any kind of contact would have put the winning run across.  So far he's been another Tyler Austin/Chris Carter... a .200 hitter who occasionally blasts a homer or two and strikes out a lot.  Still waiting for the performance to catch up with the hype.  The Yankees did get a bad break in the bottom of the 9th when Hicks scorched that ground-rule double down the rightfield line... if it hadn't bounced into the stands, Gregorious would almost certainly have scored from first and the game would have ended.  But they had plenty of other chances to put it away and didn't get the job done.  

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

I went to bed after the Yankees failed to score with the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the 10th; at that point, I knew that having blown so many opportunities, they were most likely going to lose.  They were 0-12 with RISP last night... pathetic.  And for all of the talk about the "weakness" of the Braves' bullpen, it was the Yankees' that ultimately folded with D-Rob in the 11th.  Kudos to the Braves for gutting out that win.  To me the biggest failure was Greg Bird striking out on three straight pitches in that bases-loaded, one-out situation in the 10th, when a sac fly or almost any kind of contact would have put the winning run across.  So far he's been another Tyler Austin/Chris Carter... a .200 hitter who occasionally blasts a homer or two and strikes out a lot.  Still waiting for the performance to catch up with the hype.  The Yankees did get a bad break in the bottom of the 9th when Hicks scorched that ground-rule double down the rightfield line... if it hadn't bounced into the stands, Gregorious would almost certainly have scored from first and the game would have ended.  But they had plenty of other chances to put it away and didn't get the job done.  

A lot a wasted chances indeed .... believe they stranded more than 20 runners on base ....

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I watched a good part of the Braves game last night.  Very good game. Perhaps a WS preview.  Yankee announcers were moaning that Judge got a glove on the ball but replays showed he never had a chance to catch it, even though the ball nicked the glove. Live by the porch, die by the porch. 

Were they moaning or were they whining?

I just watched/listened to the archive broadcast and they didn't sound at all like they were "moaning" or "whining," if you're referring to Michael Kay and Paul O'Neill.  It did go off Judge's glove and he did nearly catch it.  He's an outstanding right fielder and he's taken away potential home runs on a number of occasions.  One of the many things I like about Kay, O'Neill, David Cone, and Ken Singleton is their respect for opposing players and teams, and Kay and O'Neill certainly expressed it for Ronald Acuna and the other young Braves players last night during the parts of the game that I watched.  

David, I know you're a fan, but c'mon on.  They were whining or moaning, whatever adjective you choose. As far as his coming close to catching the ball, I saw the replay several times and they showed it from different angles but he never had a chance in catching it.  It was a mere accident that it hit off his glove.  Try to be objective.  

1 hour ago, Brad said:

David, I know you're a fan, but c'mon on.  They were whining or moaning, whatever adjective you choose. As far as his coming close to catching the ball, I saw the replay several times and they showed it from different angles but he never had a chance in catching it.  It was a mere accident that it hit off his glove.  Try to be objective.  

Disagree. I’ve seen Judge catch balls like that in similar circumstances. What’s wrong with saying that he almost caught it? It doesn’t undermine the validity of the Braves’ win, it’s not “moaning” or “whining.” Kay and O’Neill didn’t sound overjoyed, sure, but they’re the Yankee announcers.  Are they supposed to sound elated? They sounded subdued, if anything. And NY shoulders all the blame and the Braves get all the credit for winning that one. 

Your initial post, that’s your take, whatever. Jsngry’s response spun it into the territory of Yankee-bashing, which, free forum and all, but that goes all ways.  

Edited by ghost of miles

I'm also as objective as any fan can be--if anything, like Dan with the Red Sox, usually excessively critical of the team I root for.  I remember Catesta (who I think is a Yankee fan as well) being irked at me last year after the Yankees went up 3-2 in the ALCS over Houston, because I was pessimistic that NY would win the series.  Why?  Because Houston consistently knocked them around at home all last season, and the final two games were at Houston.  

It’s not Yankee bashing, not that I care for them, and we can disagree on how the Yankee announcers reacted to the HR but he didn’t come even close to catching it. I’ve seen similar situations where outfielders had it bounce off the pocket and into the stands and this was not one off those situations but if you and other Yankee fans want to see it through Yankee colored glasses, feel free.  That’s what you guys usually do anyway. 

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

It’s not Yankee bashing, not that I care for them, and we can disagree on how the Yankee announcers reacted to the HR but he didn’t come even close to catching it. I’ve seen similar situations where outfielders had it bounce off the pocket and into the stands and this was not one off those situations but if you and other Yankee fans want to see it through Yankee colored glasses, feel free.  That’s what you guys usually do anyway. 

Did you read my last post?!  Was I looking at the ALCS through "Yankee colored glasses" last year?  I don't even know why this argument is so important to you.  Me, I'm just tired of taking crap from other posters about the team I like when it's completely unwarranted.  I don't come here and s*&% all over the Mets or the Red Sox or the Rangers or other teams that I know people who post here like, or take snarky little shots at them.  

I'll give you an objective comment right now.  I'm pissed as hell that Boone used D-Rob, Betances, and Chapman to "give them some work" in a 9-0 blowout against the Red Sox on Sunday when he knew he had Loaisiga and German--two pitchers who have struggled to go five innings in their starts--going up against the Braves, one of the best-hitting teams in baseball, the following two nights.  And guess what happened?  He had to use them again last night, in an extra-innings loss, and now they're unavailable this evening.  German just gave up three runs in the top of the fifth and had to come out, and NY was lucky to escape with a 6-3 lead.  They may well lose this game yet tonight because of the decision Boone made on Sunday.  

I thought we were having a friendly little debate but I seem to have struck a chord. It all comes with the territory of being a Yankee fan, probably the same kind of banter that goes on between Cubs and Cardinals fans.  This kind of banter is pretty common around here and at the end of the day we all have a good laugh. Trust me, I’ve seen far worse than what’s been written here.