Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sidewinder

Jon Hiseman RIP

8 posts in this topic

The very sad news was announced today that the gifted and versatile drummer, band leader and producer Jon Hiseman had passed away early this morning.

He was a major figure in both British and European jazz and rock from the 1960s through to recent times as a result of his work with own group Colosseum, the New Jazz Orchestra, The United Jazz and Rock Ensemble, Graham Bond, John Mayall, Mike Taylor Trio and many others. By all accounts a lovely guy, all round force for good and a stalwart support to his wife, saxophonist Barbara Thompson. He’ll be missed - RIP.

Edited by sidewinder

So sad to hear about this. Those first few Colosseum albums really meant a lot to me when I was first getting into music--and Hiseman's drumming on Jack Bruce's Songs for a Tailor might be my favorite in that specific rock-jazz vein. Of the great early British jazz-rock drummers, I credit Hiseman and John Marshall--and the lesser-known Rob Tait, too--with being the most successful at rounding off the complexity of post-Elvin jazz drumming without sounding either too boxy or simplistic. A tough task done surpassingly well. RIP. 

RIP. He was one of the earliest heavy jazz-rock drummers I used to listen to during his Colosseum days.

Excellent musician, I love the Colosseum albums.  RIP.

Big fan of Colosseum and Tempest.

"Songs for a Tailor" is a great album, too! Oddly enough, he doesn't play on "Rope Ladder to the Moon," which Colosseum did a great job covering.

RIP, Jon!

Edited by BFrank

Back in the day listened to Colosseum platters .... R.I.P ....

Really must buy his biography. A very good read, apparently.

JH was on tour until very recently, when his illness struck. Also producing albums at his Temple Studios.