EKE BBB

What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

3,200 posts in this topic

Not bad considering they haven't recorded any new material in almost 20 years.

The Symbol Remains

Bruce Springsteen - 'Letter To You'

First listen.

'Western Stars' and the autobiography rekindled my long buried love for Bruce. 

This one's sounding great on initial impressions. There's something reassuring about having his American Dream restated at such troubling times.

And, the sax sounds just like the Big Man too. Well done for listening to your uncle so closely.

13 hours ago, catesta said:

Best of the Doobies

One of the soundtracks to my teenage years. Loved them back then.

Edited by mjazzg

Bruce Springsteen - 'Western Stars'

This seemed to get a lukewarm reception but I think it's classic Bruce. Wide panorama songwriting and arrangements. 

Dear 2020 -- Enough is enough.  Just stop it already.  Thanks.

Dear JJW -- Thanks for the songs.  You will be missed.  RIP.

Bruce Springsteen: Letter To You (CD is excellent, so is the documentary on Apple TV).

3 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Bruce Springsteen: Letter To You (CD is excellent, so is the documentary on Apple TV).

A good friend of mine, who used to be a big Springsteen fan and whose opinions on rock albums I heartily respect, just sent me this brief write up on this album:

“I’ve been listening to Bruce Springsteen’s new album Letter to You and on first listening most of the songs sounded like something I’d heard before or even, at worst, something being played by a Springsteen covers’ band. With repeated playshowever, and casting aside my prejudices built up against Springsteen’s largely overblown and self-important music over the past twenty years and more, the songs and the band come into their own. The E String Band sound almost as good as they did in the '70s and '80s, with the suffocating over-production of his albums from The Rising in 2002 onwards now thankfully absent. Yes, it’s still a big booming sound but the album sounds refreshingly live, explained by the fact that it was recorded as just that in only five days. Three of the songs even date back to before his first album Greetings from Asbury Park in 1973It’s been frustrating waiting such a long time, but I’ve finally been taken back to the '70s and '80s when the intensity, pure exhilaration and uplifting nature of Springsteen's music meant so much to me.”

10 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

A good friend of mine, who used to be a big Springsteen fan and whose opinions on rock albums I heartily respect, just sent me this brief write up on this album:

“I’ve been listening to Bruce Springsteen’s new album Letter to You and on first listening most of the songs sounded like something I’d heard before or even, at worst, something being played by a Springsteen covers’ band. With repeated playshowever, and casting aside my prejudices built up against Springsteen’s largely overblown and self-important music over the past twenty years and more, the songs and the band come into their own. The E String Band sound almost as good as they did in the '70s and '80s, with the suffocating over-production of his albums from The Rising in 2002 onwards now thankfully absent. Yes, it’s still a big booming sound but the album sounds refreshingly live, explained by the fact that it was recorded as just that in only five days. Three of the songs even date back to before his first album Greetings from Asbury Park in 1973It’s been frustrating waiting such a long time, but I’ve finally been taken back to the '70s and '80s when the intensity, pure exhilaration and uplifting nature of Springsteen's music meant so much to me.”

Good summary. Best Springsteen I've heard in 20 years. 

On 23.10.2020 at 0:52 AM, catesta said:

Best of the Doobies

Yep ....

CD's , so not as big as it looks.  Nice set.

Steve Wynn Decade (11-CD Box Set) – Real Gone Music

On 10/25/2020 at 7:14 PM, mikeweil said:

R-7839703-1520093990-5469.jpeg.jpg

Such a wizard, such a shame he lost his struggle with the darkness.

9 hours ago, felser said:

CD's , so not as big as it looks.  Nice set.

Steve Wynn Decade (11-CD Box Set) – Real Gone Music

Nice to have all these albums! Once I got it I realized that the only one I had a physical copy of was Melting in the Dark. So ... win-WYNN! ;)

Awesome!  And the early stuff, lovingly and expertly revisited here, was THE Pink Floyd era for me, not the later mega-hits (I like those OK, though).

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets 'Live at the Roundhouse' release delayed  until September 2020 - Pink Floyd - A Fleeting Glimpse

2403081.jpg?ae=1482654141

Sure it's the Mills Brothers singing, but In my mind I can easily hear Tom Waits covering this song . . .

s-l640.jpg

A few familiar names (Caetano Veloso, Nana Vasconcelos, Maria Bethania), but most of the performers on this 1992 PolyGram/Verve compilation are unfamiliar to me.

2 hours ago, duaneiac said:

s-l640.jpg

A few familiar names (Caetano Veloso, Nana Vasconcelos, Maria Bethania), but most of the performers on this 1992 PolyGram/Verve compilation are unfamiliar to me.

Nice ....

Bruce Springsteen - Letter To You (2020, CDr) | Discogs