Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rooster_Ties

Propose a new Mosaic box, dedicated to (or at least featuring) *an artist still living today* (featuring = as a prominent sideman)

65 posts in this topic

Thinking back to the Billy Harper possibilities, has Mosaic ever reissued any Japanese-only issues (save for BN recording dates on King, iirc, and the like).

In other words, if you were to try and collect up the Harper 70’s dates, or the Max Roach quartet dates with Harper, is there any sort of **Mosaic** precedent for including the kinds of “only released in Japan originally” releases both/either set would entail?

Also, I presume the “Billy Harper Fan Club” CDR’s in no way imply that Billy himself owns those masters or the rights to see them issued, correct? All those CDR’s were LP-sourced needle-drops, far as I’ve ever known (at least the ones I’ve heard), and seemed very unofficial.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How about a 60s until 70 or 71 complete Chick Corea on Blue Note (and whatever other labels are under the same umbrella) as leader and sideman?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Lyin' Wolf said:

How about a 60s until 70 or 71 complete Chick Corea on Blue Note (and whatever other labels are under the same umbrella) as leader and sideman?

Probably 6 lps on 4 cds - a good idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I sent the suggestion for a Chick Corea set to Mosaic.  Scott thought  it was an excellent suggestion and forwarded to Michael.  We shall see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lyin' Wolf said:

Well, I sent the suggestion for a Chick Corea set to Mosaic.  Scott thought  it was an excellent suggestion and forwarded to Michael.  We shall see.

Agreed, excellent suggestion. I'd definitely buy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 0:40 PM, Larry Kart said:

It's not a pressing matter for me because I have most of  his albums, and besides he's probably below Mosaic's Plimsoll Line, but Mickey Tucker? I've never heard anything from Tucker that I didn't like, and there's a good deal of individuality and variety there too,

I love the sessions he played on with Junior Cook on Steeple Chase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My vote: a comprehensive reissue of Martial Solal's recordings for MPS. Very important, WONDERFUL music that's almost entirely out of print.  I realize that it's even less likely -- i.e., completely unlikely -- now that Edel owns the MPS catalog. But one can hope, right?!?!

And I've got to add my voice to the cries for Mal Waldron's Japanese Victors -- including Reminiscent Suite with Terumasa Hino!

 

On 11/17/2019 at 0:40 PM, Larry Kart said:

It's not a pressing matter for me because I have most of  his albums, and besides he's probably below Mosaic's Plimsoll Line, but Mickey Tucker? I've never heard anything from Tucker that I didn't like, and there's a good deal of individuality and variety there too,

Seconded!!! Mickey Tucker deserves it, whether the rest of the world recognizes it or not! 

 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 11:00 AM, JSngry said:

Barbara Donald did two records (LPs)  for Cadence that are so damn good....

R-4708917-1375679227-4125.jpeg.jpg

R-2763495-1299953978.jpeg.jpg

These need to be rescued by somebody...

 

I'd love to hear those. Never have.

Likewise Beaver Harris' two LPs for Cadence. Never heard 'em. Sure would like to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HutchFan said:

I'd love to hear those. Never have.

Likewise Beaver Harris' two LPs for Cadence. Never heard 'em. Sure would like to.

I wonder who owns the rights for these nowadays ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 8:29 PM, Lyin' Wolf said:

Well, I sent the suggestion for a Chick Corea set to Mosaic.  Scott thought  it was an excellent suggestion and forwarded to Michael.  We shall see.

Given the new Mobley and (presumably) Lee Morgan 60's sets -- it would seem a Chick Corea Blue Note set would be something very possible, given the sort of thinking that is giving us those Mobley and Morgan sets.

Before the announcement of the Mobley, I wouldn't have really thought there'd be much chance for a Chick BN set -- but who knows, maybe there really could be one.  I think(?) I own most everything that might be included on it, but maybe I'm forgetting some things that I don't actually have.  In any case, I'd be glad to purchase such a set.

I passed on the Mobley (since I already had every last cut of it on CD), but I just might buy the forthcoming Lee Morgan set (we'll see), especially if they can manage to eak out a good handful of previously-unreleased tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 6:04 AM, JSngry said:

Here's an at best semi-sensible suggestion - Don Preston is alive and - presumably - still functional. If he wanted to pimp the set outwards to the more intensely musically minded Zappaphiles, he could, and there's a whole other market window right there. 

Just saw Don Preston a few weeks ago playing keyboards with Bobby Bradford in Pasadena as part of Bradford's band for his Jackie Robinson suite.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2019 at 3:42 AM, HutchFan said:

My vote: a comprehensive reissue of Martial Solal's recordings for MPS. Very important, WONDERFUL music that's almost entirely out of print.  I realize that it's even less likely -- i.e., completely unlikely -- now that Edel owns the MPS catalog. But one can hope, right?!?!

Edel had them remastered and made available on streaming services a couple of years ago - e.g. https://www.mps-music.com/releases/the-solosolal/ . Same for many other (all?) MPS albums.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Д.Д. said:

Edel had them remastered and made available on streaming services a couple of years ago - e.g. https://www.mps-music.com/releases/the-solosolal/ . Same for many other (all?) MPS albums.  

Yep. I'm aware, and downloads are certainly better than nothing. But I suppose I don't count DLs as "in print." Maybe that's an incorrect distinction on my part. 😉

Another idea for a Mosaic box that's likely not feasible commercially but one I'd love to see regardless: a set dedicated to Clare Fischer's recordings for the Revelation label. (Since he's passed, he doesn't meet the "living" criteria that the original poster asked for. But still, it'd be a helluva set. Lots of little-known, extraordinary music.)

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.