BFT 189 link and discussion

felser

More straight ahead overall than my usual BFT's, hopefully some discoveries and some surprises (such as the last cut) for those who check it out.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

As always, thanks to Thom Keith for loading and hosting the BFT ;

http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/  and select BFT 189.

8 hours ago, felser said:

More straight ahead overall than my usual BFT's, hopefully some discoveries and some surprises (such as the last cut) for those who check it out.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Alrighty then ... perhaps this regular compiler will have some of those thoughts for you ... :g

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Alrighty then ... perhaps this regular compiler will have some of those thoughts for you ... :g

Cool, thanks!  But no Gene Harris :D

8 hours ago, BillF said:

Track 7: Rollins composition, "Airegin"

Track 9: An extended Jazz Messengers performance, perhaps? Certainly a composition recorded by them on Blue Note.

7 - Yes, my favorite Newk comp.   my purpose is the personnel playing it.  Who is the tenor player?  Who is the pianist?

9 - Yes, Jazz Messengers, no, not something they recorded on BN (or on any studio album).  But it is a fairly well-known composition.

I knew it was Eric Alexander by the second solo chorus because it was so very competent and so very boring and so very almost sounding like George Coleman.

I mean, the guy does what he does, always, readily identifiable, I think. If nothing else, kudos for that.

Track #2 has that Coltrane vibe from the Atlantic days, though obviously it's someone different and newer.  Nice solo on the trombone.

On #5 I'll make a wild guess and say Stephon Harris.  Some fine work on the drums.

Number 6 is interesting, like Yusef Lateef meeting Return to Forever.   I don't know who it really is.

Number 7 is "Love Theme from Spartacus," which has been recorded by many jazz artists.  Beautiful piece, and I love this orchestral version.  Sounds a bit in the Gil Evans mode.  Maybe Bob Belden?

I believe #9 is "Children of the Night," although I don'k know this very lengthy version.

Edited by Milestones

1 hour ago, Milestones said:

Track #2 has that Coltrane vibe from the Atlantic days, though obviously it's someone different and newer.  Nice solo on the trombone.

On #5 I'll make a wild guess and say Stephon Harris.  Some fine work on the drums.

Number 6 is interesting, like Yusef Lateef meeting Return to Forever.   I don't know who it really is.

Number 7 is "Love Theme from Spartacus," which has been recorded by many jazz artists.  Beautiful piece, and I love this orchestral version.  Sounds a bit in the Gil Evans mode.  Maybe Bob Belden?

I believe #9 is "Children of the Night," although I don'k know this very lengthy version.

#2 actually isn't that much newer than the Atlantic Coltrane's, though it does post-date them.

#5 not Harris.  The drummer is not well-known.  I am otherwise unfamiliar with him, though I know the work of the vibes player and bass player well.

#6 is interesting in its lineage.

That's #8 which is "Love Theme From Spartacus".  Not Evans, but someone that has been compared to him at times.  Not Belden.

#8 is not "Children of the Night", but it is a reasonably well-known (and beautiful) composition.

10 hours ago, felser said:

#5 not Harris.  The drummer is not well-known.  I am otherwise unfamiliar with him, though I know the work of the vibes player and bass player well.

I'm thinking Khan Jamal (partly a guess, knowing felser), but don't have time to research right now.

3 hours ago, felser said:

You do know me, #5 is Khan Jamal :).

#5 is Bloom, from 

R-6313096-1441406725-9696.jpeg.jpg

One of several Jamal recordings I own; got into him after purchasing Drum Dance to the Motherland on this forum based on felser's recommendation...

Drummer Leroy Lowe is pretty much unknown to me, though he also appears on Jamal's quartet album Dark Warrior (with Dyani on bass and Charles Tyler (!) on alto/bari).

Edited by T.D.

8 minutes ago, T.D. said:

#5 is Bloom, from 

R-6313096-1441406725-9696.jpeg.jpg

One of several Jamal recordings I own; got into him after purchasing Drum Dance to the Motherland on this forum based on felser's recommendation...

Drummer Leroy Lowe is pretty much unknown to me, though he also appears on Jamal's quartet album Dark Warrior (with Dyani on bass and Charles Tyler (!) on alto/bari).

Indeed.   I love Jamal's Steeplechase albums, they really knew how to get the best from him (and from Walt Dickerson).  His work on some other labels is more scattershot, though rewarding.

3 minutes ago, Milestones said:

I have to to say I've never even HEARD OF Khan Jamal.

You have now!  Philly guy, so I've been familiar with him since the 70's when I hung out at 3rd Street Jazz soaking in the sights and sounds. Worth checking into further if you like what you heard here:

Name Year Publishment
Drumdance to the Motherland 1972 Dogtown
Give the Vibes Some 1974 Palm Records
The River 1978 Philly Jazz, with Bill Lewis
Infinity 1984) Stash 278
Dark Warrior 1984 SteepleChase
Three 1985 SteepleChase
The Traveller 1985 SteepleChase
Thinking of You 1986 Storyville
Speak Easy 1988 Gazell
Don't Take No 1989 Vintage Jazz
Percussion&Strings 1997 CIMP
Cubano Chant 2001 Jambrio 1002
Balafon Dance 2002 CIMP
Cool 2002 Jambrio
Black Awareness 2005 CIMP
Return from Exile 2005 Philly Jazz
Fire and Water 2007 CIMP with Dylan Taylor, Bass
Impressions of Coltrane 2009 SteepleChase

1. Wonderful track. I have never heard of the Visitors before today. The record is on my wishlist !

2. A tyneresque pianist with the vibe of  Jazz Contemporaries. I liked it from start to finish and only recognized the India's outro. Tyner or Mabern?

3. Sacrebleu, not Fauré ! It reminded first of a masterful use of Pavane in the Sopranos, and now I also want to  watch Life of Brian! Great fun track!

4. I like the atmosphere. A bit of an early Jazz Crusaders.

6. It sure has the mood of Lateef!

8. Great arrangements from Schneider & solo. The saxophonist reminds me a bit of Alour.

9.  The trumpet attack is sooo Woody ! Ilistened to this concert quite a bit when compiling the discography of Shaw. A great set in his sessionography in the  60's along with the ones with Horace Silver.

7 minutes ago, aparxa said:

1. Wonderful track. I have never heard of the Visitors before today. The record is on my wishlist !

It's a really fine album by an overlooked Philly group.  The Grubbs brothers are Coltrane's nephews.  Sid Simmons played for many decades in the Philly area.  The bass player on most of the tracks is a very young Stanley Clarke.

2. A tyneresque pianist with the vibe of  Jazz Contemporaries. I liked it from start to finish and only recognized the India's outro. Tyner or Mabern?

Not Tyner or Mabern, but a very interesting musician.

3. Sacrebleu, not Fauré ! It reminded first of a masterful use of Pavane in the Sopranos, and now I also want to  watch Life of Brian! Great fun track!

Life of Brian indeed :)

4. I like the atmosphere. A bit of an early Jazz Crusaders.

This will be an interesting reveal if no one ID's it.

6. It sure has the mood of Lateef!

It does, but not him.  Another interesting reveal.

8. Great arrangements from Schneider & solo. The saxophonist reminds me a bit of Alour.

Schneider rules in my book as far as large group arranging.  Saw her group several years ago at the Philly Art Museum along with a bunch of other board members - very memorable concert.

9.  The trumpet attack is sooo Woody ! Ilistened to this concert quite a bit when compiling the discography of Shaw. A great set in his sessionography in the  60's along with the ones with Horace Silver.

Yes, I just discovered this concert in the past year, was blown away by it.

1 hour ago, aparxa said:

I look forward to the identification or the reveal of the tunes !
I still think I should know better about the second track.
Thanks for the truly enjoyable selection!

Thank you!  #2 is the most difficult track to identify on this BFT.