BFT 191

Milestones

25 minutes ago, webbcity said:

I'm surprised I didn't totally love #4, I am a massive Oscar Peterson fan. Listened a second time and definitely got more out of it though.

Expectation bias, perhaps? :)

It doesn't surprise me that it's OP, it's very competent, thoroughly "sophisticated", totally pleasant, but not quite engaging past that point of pleasantness. I stand by my original assessment.If I'm going to hear some OP, let it be this type of thing, and in this quantity. :g

17 hours ago, Milestones said:

Peterson at his most reflective and sensitive.  This is a good track for those who believe the man's fingers could not play a subtle note.

Despite my initial mixed reaction to this track I'm tempted to check out the whole album now. Listening back again I can hear the Peterson-isms better, but it still sounds not like typical OP to me. I'm clearly not as much of an OP expert as I thought I was!

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

Expectation bias, perhaps? :)

It doesn't surprise me that it's OP, it's very competent, thoroughly "sophisticated", totally pleasant, but not quite engaging past that point of pleasantness. I stand by my original assessment.If I'm going to hear some OP, let it be this type of thing, and in this quantity. :g

Probably expectation bias, yes!

Although I'm well aware of the popular opinions against OP and his technical prowess, I've personally always found his playing very emotional and engaging. For some reason this particular track did NOT engage me as much as usual (though on a technical level it's faultless), so I'm intrigued by that and am trying to figure out why... 

23 minutes ago, webbcity said:

For some reason this particular track did NOT engage me as much as usual (though on a technical level it's faultless), so I'm intrigued by that and am trying to figure out why... 

Well, here's my thoughts, for a penny, and overpriced by a nickel at that...

Peterson imo is essentially, what's the expression, "wide, but shallow". This track sounds like somebody who says, "I'll show them that I can play quiet and thoughtful too!" and then sets about playing QUIET and THOGUHTFUL, and, ok, "quiet" is empirical, but thoughtful is as thoughtful does, and neighing like a horse doesn't mean you're gonna be running in the Derby, if you know what I mean.

Keep in mind, I'm not an OP hater, but am also not really a fan either.

2 hours ago, webbcity said:

Despite my initial mixed reaction to this track I'm tempted to check out the whole album now. Listening back again I can hear the Peterson-isms better, but it still sounds not like typical OP to me. I'm clearly not as much of an OP expert as I thought I was!

Probably expectation bias, yes!

Although I'm well aware of the popular opinions against OP and his technical prowess, I've personally always found his playing very emotional and engaging. For some reason this particular track did NOT engage me as much as usual (though on a technical level it's faultless), so I'm intrigued by that and am trying to figure out why... 

I'm neither a big OP fan nor a hater. The album is one of the few I own with Oscar as leader, and my choice for when I want to hear him solo.

Finally squeezed in a listen.  A LOT I don't know in this one.  I have the feeling some of the stuff that didn't resonate will get a second listen, though.

Track 01 — Diggin’ the hell out of this!  Has that Morphine vibe in the beginning, then adds in a Jazztet feel over the top.  F*** yeah!  Must have!  Love that bone-over-bass.  

Track 02 — Ah!  I know this!  I believe this was in a BFT awhile back.  Track B1 from this.  I remember when I first heard this, because it was the only time I had heard this player on clarinet (as opposed to bass clari).

Track 03 — Any guesses I would make on this era would be purely that, so I won’t.  Cooks, but doesn’t maintain my interest (not about the quality, more about my predjudice against music of the era).  

Track 04 — I’m not right, but I keep hearing Sleeping Bee on the melody.  I’ll say it’s a Harold Arlen composiition and that’s what’s throwing me (gotta save face somehow).  No idea the player.

Track 05 — Odd like the first one, but doesn’t resonate quite as much for me.  I like it, but a tier lower.  Someone likes Lester Bowie (not a bad thing).  Wait… I know that guitarist.  In the early days of mp3s, he put a bunch of his stuff online that he’d recorded for people to DL (complete with jewel case covers).  It’s Charlie Hunter, I’m sure of it.  No idea who the horn players are, but this one works, even if on a lower level than track 01.  

Track 06 — Man.  Another odd one, and I love it.  Has that vibe of a Dirty Harry movie, but with way more taste.  Comping has that Herbie flavor, but is not so insistent as HH.  Actually, more of an Andrew Hill vibe.  Ah!  Yes!  Track 3 from this.  I think this is one of the better recordings of the saxophonist.

Track 07 — Despite my anti-clarinet stance, I really like this.  I haven’t a clue who it is.  

Track 08 — That is a LOT of brass.  Early on, it reminded me of Charles Tolliver’s Brass Company, but definitely not that.  A little clean and orchestrated for my tastes, but I do like it.  I mean, I’m a sucker for three, and a little flowery doesn’t scare me off.  I do really want a surprise bari solo to come in an get pissed off, though (think John Surman).  Ooo… that sounds like hope around 3:05!  Gah!  A polite alto was NOT what I was looking for.  Maybe Mike DeRubbo?  Don’t like the direction the drums just took.  They had set a nice feel, but now we’re going all Steely Dan with a Varitone.  

Track 09 — This one just isn’t resonating.  I was waiting for it to go somewhere, but it’s just going to a place that isn’t making my ears happy.  Harold Mabern could hit those chords all day long and make me happy.  This, to me, sounds like three guys trying to play like that, but not listening to one another.

Track 10 — Like this feel a LOT.  Really got that Coltrane feel.  In fact, that bass line sounds like they copped it from The Drum Thing.  Wait… they didn’t cop it — there’s the melody.  Weird.  NEVER heard this covered!  Richie Beirach?  This is weird.  I’m in… but I’m not sure if I’m staying.

Track 11 — Weird, but it works.  Has the feel of Bass Drum Bone, but the bass clari/clari mix is intriguing.  Not entirely sold, but very intrigued.  

Track 12 — I liked some of this sort of thing when I was younger (Michael Hedges), and still do, to a point, but don’t think I’d ever sit down and spin this.  Actually don’t care for that piano at all.  I’m not sure where this is going, and I’m not sure it knows, either (which is actually working for it).  I like the trumpet, but again, don’t care for what happened rhythmically when the piano came in.  Could this be Kenny Wheeler?  Don’t think so, but something about that sweeping arc into the upper register makes me think it could be.   Overall, I’m not sure how I feel about it.

Track 13 — Not sure where I am on this.  First thought is that I don’t really like the alto.  Almost sounds like Arthur Blythe at some points, but doesn’t seem to have his fire.  Takes a turn for the weird when the bari comes in.  Not sure where I’m at on this.  It’s a bit chaotic, but seems to work… almost.  Nods to Monk, but I’m guessing an “original” tribute.  Maybe one of Fred Ho’s projects?  Nay.  Doesn’t sound like Fred to me.  Could be Alex Harding, but I don’t think so.  Nope.  Not enough in-the-blues for Alex.  I’d bet this player likes Alex a whole lot, though. 

Thanks for a spin through unfamiliar territory with a few recognizable sign posts!

Later (REALLY wish they wouldn't combine the responses)
Damnit!  After reading, i was going to guess Giuffre on track 7, but convinced myself it was because of some false relationship in my mind.  I will never learn.

Just had a quick read-through of your response.  All very interesting, whether your like, dislike, of just find yourself  baffled.

A fair amount had previously been identified, including the clarinet on #7. 

As for your guesses...

Yes, #5 is Charlie Hunter...of recent vintage.  Track #10 is "The Drum Thing."  Kenny Wheeler is the trumpeter on #12.  I can see the actual tracks (and artist on #10) being identified before too much longer.

11 hours ago, Milestones said:

Yes, it certainly is, and we also know Wheeler is on the track.  That leaves the pianist.

Hint:  This is not an ECM album.

That would make it Marc Copland from this.  No idea which track, they all sound pretty much the same to me, and I don't have the stomach to try to differentiate them, as I just don't care for this sort of thing.

R-2849550-1303855063.jpeg.jpg

Edited by felser

12 minutes ago, Milestones said:

We have just a few days left.  I'm willing to offer clues.

Seems like some of those who regularly check out the BFT have not done so yet.

Go ahead and give us a summary of which still need identified, and whatever clues you want to start with.   Participation level in BFT's is often very disappointing.  Those of us who present them understand your feelings.

We are still looking for ID on #1, #8, #11, and #13.  Track #10 has been identified as "The Drum Thing," but the artist has not been guessed (definitely not Coltrane!).

Hint on #1: The leader is European, though the rest of the group features high-profile Americans--two of whom passed away about 10 years ago. It was released on a foreign label (not ECM).

On #8, the leader is a woman who has released, I believe, two big band records.

On #11 we have sort of two groups meeting: one neo-traditional and the other more avant garde (or at least "inside-outside").

Track #13 is a drummer-led septet, and there are some well-known players here.  The record came out nearly 30 years ago.

Edited by Milestones