Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

Strange BN lp on ebay: re- John Patton

57 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

Just had confirmation that this one was part of an initial very limited run prior to the issue not getting the green light for official release. No idea if/how many others are out there.

It is potentially possible of course that a similar thing might just have happened with ‘Thinking of Home’ !

Certainly makes sense, can you share the source of this confirmation?

Posted (edited)

Confirmed by the seller direct, who was most helpful.

Edited by sidewinder

On 4/14/2020 at 7:19 AM, sidewinder said:

Just had confirmation that this one was part of an initial very limited run prior to the issue not getting the green light for official release. No idea if/how many others are out there.

Did the seller give any indication HOW they knew the genesis of this LP you got from them? And also, how they got it in the first place.

1 hour ago, Rooster_Ties said:

Did the seller give any indication HOW they knew the genesis of this LP you got from them? And also, how they got it in the first place.

Nothing additional to what I have stated above. 

This is still one of the wildest Blue Note anomalies I think I’ve ever heard told.

And why, of all things, would this have been a German pressing?

Because the Germans were efficient - and pressed an initial batch of these (maybe just a very few as a demo run) before the official cancellation word came out from BN HQ across the Atlantic. That’s my theory anyway. :)

This must also have been around the time that Francis Wolff passed on, maybe adding to the confusion.

Edited by sidewinder

Would be interesting to get Michael Cuscuna’s reaction to this. Or someone equally steeped in Blue Note lore.

1) since Michael was the “producer of record” on the first issue of this material in 1996, and specifically 2) about the whole album name difference, “Spirit” vs. “Split” - is that anything Michael was aware of? - or anything else he might think about it.

It’s such an oddball thing, only made more so by the title difference.

If it isn’t literally a one of a kind, it’s surely damn close.