BFT 194 Link and Discussion

webbcity

Here are responses to the early tracks:

1.      Nice boppish piece.  It sounds like these guys have listened to plenty of Blue Note records; maybe they are on Blue Note.  It is an unusually short piece. No guesses.

2.      Some nice tenor and piano, but no idea.

3.      This is a pretty unusual piece.  The rhythm is funky in a modern, almost smooth jazz way; the sax sounds pretty “out” with the screeching. The pianist seems to have something of Herbie Hancock’s style.

4.      Fun track.  Would this be in the “jump blues” vein?  Elements of Louis Jordan, though also different in many respects—and certainly more modern. Some nice wailing on the baritone sax.

5.      And now for something completely different!  Seems like something along the lines of Kronos Quartet, though with expanded personnel.  Nice driving rhythm, and a pretty out there guitar solo.  Maybe James Blood Ulmer? Cool drum solo. I find this to be the most intriguing track so far.

6.      Wow, the alto sure has Ornette qualities, though he/she really favors the upper register.  The rhythm is Ornette-like too. I don’t think it’s Ornette, but this group is trying to approximate the sound of his early quartets on Atlantic.  

7.      This is starting as a complete oasis of peace after the previous track. Now adopting something of an African feel.  It’s well-played, but it could use more intensity.

There is some good stuff here, and plenty of diversity.  Also seems like a pretty tough BFT.

Edited by Milestones

Thanks for your comments! You have some great observations. The bari solo on #4 might just be one of my all-time favorites! It's not Ulmer on #5. And your comment on #6 is right on, in terms of the Ornette influence, and you're correct that it's not him.

On #6, I think Masada would be a reasonable guess.  Not that I feel at all certain.  I've not heard Masada in quite some time, and they seemed to put a more distinctive spin on the Ornette style. Then again, the alto does some pretty freaked out stuff that might very well be Zorn.  

Edited by Milestones

On #8 everyone would recognize the song:  "All the Things You Are." I'm thinking that the singer is not American.  Maybe French?  A lot of space given to various band members, who all sound good.   But I have no guess here.  

Number 9 is “Jitterbug Waltz.”  Reminds me of a bit of Art Tatum, though someone without Tatum’s chops.  Still, this is clearly a very skilled player. I don’t usually gravitate toward solo piano, but this is some nice stuff. 

On #10 I'm not sure about the instrument.  It sounded like soprano sax at first, but maybe some kind of clarinet.  I like how the performance is very concise.  To me this has something of a Steve Lacy quality in concept and feel, though the reed player does not sound at all like Lacy.  

Number 11 This seems both bouncy and avant garde.  No guess. 

Number 12:      Here’s another that's in the Ornette mode.  That sure as hell sounds like Ed Blackwell doing the drumming.

Edited by Milestones

Number 13:  This was identified as “Come Sunday.”  It is certainly a most unusual version, surprisingly brisk in tempo.  Good stuff, particularly Cedar’s solo; and I would have mistaken Junior Cook for Joe Henderson.

Number 14:  I can’t guess on this one.  The rhythm seems a little rigid, but that’s a nice brawny tenor solo.

1 - The template (if not the reality) is Blue Note, Freddie Hubbard, James Spaulding, Billy Higgins.  Awesome, and totally in my sweet spot.  Surely I have this?   If not, I’ll fix that pronto.

2 - Doesn't do much for me.

3 - Fascinating.  Surely I have this?

4 - Fun on the surface.  More troubling if you consider the lyrics too closely.  No clue, but very accomplished musicians.

5 - Reminds me of some of the cool things Billy Bang does.  I do like it, though not into the guitar solo.

6 – Another one that sounds very familiar, and it owes its existence to Ornette Coleman.  Again, surely I have this. 

7 – Well, that’s the Pharoah Sanders groove, though it’s not him.   Two keyboards.  Also reminds me of Marion Brown from “Sweet Earth Flying”.  Ah, got it, it’s the title track from Marion Brown’s “Vista”.  Great stuff when you’re in that mood.  Very sweet album.

8 – “All The Things You Are”.  I can’t do the singer, whoever it is, sort of sub-Carmen McRae

9 -  “Hi-Fly”, but that’s certainly not Randy Weston.  Doesn’t really knock me out, despite the obvious talent.

10 – Influenced by Dolpy but sounds to be much later.  Not bad.  David Murray-ish.

11 – I liked this at the start, but then it sort of lost my interest as it went on.  

12 – It’s good and all, but not overly compelling to me.  There’s so much of this sort of thing around.

13 – Duke’s “Come Sunday”, nice enough version.

14 – Back in my sweet spot. “Evod” by Ari Brown Live at the Green Mill.   Sounds like it has to be from the 70’s, doesn’t it? But it’s much later.  Really like the intensity Brown plays wit .   Actually not totally sold on the rhythm section, and the Rhodes is poorly recorded, part of the hazard of a live recording.   But still something I’m glad to own.  The horns are doin’ it!    Sounds like the whole group listened carefully to the Joe Henderson/Woody Shaw/George Cables  Lighthouse recordings.  Brown does great work with his own group and in the Ritual Trio.  And he played with Elvin Jones, though I don’t have any of those recordings.

Great BFT, thanks Tim!   7 and 14 are gems I’m glad to have.  Love # 1, surely it’s on my shelves somewhere.   Await ID’s/reveals on 1/3/5/6!

Edited by felser

Track 01 - Sounds late 80s to me, but the drumming sounds like Dana Hall, but busier.  What was that alto transition into the piano solo.  Seems out of place.  Something John Hicks-ish about the piano, but every time I was waiting for the tell-tale line, it wasn’t there.  Maybe Joe Bonner?  I don’t know the alto player (but you’ll tell me I do).  Good opener, but not sure where I am on it long-term.

Track 02 - I’m all in.  First thought was Shepp, but you wouldn’t do that.  Wait, that’s Ricky Ford.  GOOD Ricky Ford.  Good chance I have this, but it’s been awhile since I’ve delved into Ricky.  Maybe one of the Jaki Byard dates?  Though that sure sounds like Cyrille and not Ben Riley.  I need this if I don't have it.

Track 03 - Not sure I’m feeling this one, dude.  Intonation counts for something.  No phones, but that sure feels like electric bass to me, and I’m not digging it.  This ones a miss for me.

Track 04 - Redeemed.  The Walkin’ Blues, but I can’t say who by.  Okay, so that’s gotta be James Carter.  This has to be one of Lester Bowie’s organ projects.  Or are you playing me and this is one of James’ influences from Detroit.  Either way, burns and makes me happy.  The guy I’m thinking of, I can’t pin a name on him, but he’s a guy James worships.  Don’t think it’s Lester, either.  Maybe one of the guys who is in those bands, though (Zollar, Malachi Thompson, or somebody like that).  Third listen.  It's James.  He's a little off, but it's James.  Sounds like his guys (Gerard Gibbs on organ, Dr. Professor Leonard King on drums). 

Track 05 - Yes, please.  Gotta be Fred and Diedre.  Not something I have, though.  All day long, this. How do I NOT have this?

Track 06 - Ah!  At first I was all ALBERT!  Then I realized it’s the closer from this.

Track 07 - Oh!  It’s the title track from this, but there is something about that intro that always cries out Eric Satie to me.  And what’s not to like about the personnel on this!?!?!  Why is Jimmy Hopps not a household name?

Track 08 - First instinct was Karin Krog, but I”m wrong.  That’s Carmen McRae, no doubt about it.  I don’t have this, and if I did, I wouldn’t keep it because of the drummer.  That’s Joe Pass on guitar.  Ah… now the choice is clear to me, that’s Ray Brown.

Track 09 - Jitterbug Waltz a la glissando.  Hmmm… I know this guy… the phrasing is there, but I’m not getting the tell-tale lines.  When I hear Art Tatum, this is what I WANT to hear.  Getting a Hutcherson vibe (no punt intented), but thinking maybe one of the guys that was on some of those Liberty sessions but is lesser known.  Not sure I’d play it this way, but he means it, and that’s good enough for me.  

Track 10 - Timely.  Closer from this.  Perry is on my short list of tolerable clarinetists.

Track 11 - Man, this is like two tunes.  Drums/bass are doing something I like, but not against the horns.  I want it to drive more, and be more in sync.  Also is super familiar.  Kill me and tell me it’s Braxton (I hope not, because I actually like it).  Yeah, I”m really wanting the drums to match the rhythm of the horns here (a la Equal Time).  I know I’ll kick myself on this reveal.

Track 12 - Blackwell, for sure.  Oh!  Yeah.  “I is a artist.”  It’s the opener from this.

Track 13 - Come Sunday, a la Cedar.  One of the early albums in my collection.  Twilight Waltz and Head and Shoulders were my favorite cuts on this.  Did ANYONE walk like Leroy!?  From this.  Man… nobody is like Junior.

Track 14 - No you don’t, son.  EVERYBODY should own this.  Closing out this in style.

Damn, I think Thom broke the BFT! :lol: 

I figured you'd get a lot of them this month but wasn't quite expecting THAT. Oh well... :)

Some great guesses and comments all around, and I have more of my own comments to add, but work is mighty crazy at the moment. Will come back next chance I get and write more...

1 hour ago, tkeith said:

Well, sax players were never really known for keeping the best company.  :excited:

Hmmmm... I thought that was bass players? 

Finally catching up a bit here...

On 5/2/2020 at 9:15 PM, Milestones said:

On #8 everyone would recognize the song:  "All the Things You Are." I'm thinking that the singer is not American.  Maybe French?  A lot of space given to various band members, who all sound good.   But I have no guess here.  

This one has now been ID'd above.

Number 9 is “Jitterbug Waltz.”  Reminds me of a bit of Art Tatum, though someone without Tatum’s chops.  Still, this is clearly a very skilled player. I don’t usually gravitate toward solo piano, but this is some nice stuff. 

Your Tatum comment is very relevant, that's all I'll say for now. :)

On #10 I'm not sure about the instrument.  It sounded like soprano sax at first, but maybe some kind of clarinet.  I like how the performance is very concise.  To me this has something of a Steve Lacy quality in concept and feel, though the reed player does not sound at all like Lacy.  

This one has been ID'd also. It is a clarinet, and your Lacy comment makes sense to me at least partly because Grimes & Lacy recorded the famous "School Days" a couple years prior to this record.

Number 11 This seems both bouncy and avant garde.  No guess. 

If someone ID's this one I will both be surprised, and jump for joy! It's a longtime favorite of mine.

Number 12:      Here’s another that's in the Ornette mode.  That sure as hell sounds like Ed Blackwell doing the drumming.

It sure is Blackwell! And this one has now been ID'd as well.

On 5/2/2020 at 9:32 PM, Milestones said:

Number 13:  This was identified as “Come Sunday.”  It is certainly a most unusual version, surprisingly brisk in tempo.  Good stuff, particularly Cedar’s solo; and I would have mistaken Junior Cook for Joe Henderson.

I love this whole record...something about it is just magical to me, a cut above some of the other stuff coming out at this time.

Number 14:  I can’t guess on this one.  The rhythm seems a little rigid, but that’s a nice brawny tenor solo.

This one has also been ID'd. This track came up on my shuffle not too long ago, and I hadn't heard it in a while but was completely knocked out by it.

On 5/2/2020 at 8:45 AM, JSngry said:

That ain't Fluffy Hunter.

R-2423702-1489608537-8533.jpeg.jpg

That's a cool cover. This is, as I'm sure you know, the original version. But I have it on an LRC compact disc with a different cover and title, as seen here: https://www.discogs.com/Carmen-McRae-Velvet-Soul/release/2593669

Edited by webbcity
broken link

On 5/2/2020 at 1:55 PM, felser said:

1 - The template (if not the reality) is Blue Note, Freddie Hubbard, James Spaulding, Billy Higgins.  Awesome, and totally in my sweet spot.  Surely I have this?   If not, I’ll fix that pronto.

Don't want to say too much about this one yet, but your Blue Note comment surely makes sense from an inspiration standpoint.

2 - Doesn't do much for me.

This was a recent discovery for me and it really spoke to me. But I wonder if one has to be in the right head space for it. Just having some sense of what you like, you may actually find yourself digging it if you give it a second chance. I could be completely wrong though.

3 - Fascinating.  Surely I have this?

Surely! Possibly! :)

4 - Fun on the surface.  More troubling if you consider the lyrics too closely.  No clue, but very accomplished musicians.

The bari solo is what does it for me. Absolute killer.

5 - Reminds me of some of the cool things Billy Bang does.  I do like it, though not into the guitar solo.

For me, the guitar solo is one of my favorite things about it!

6 – Another one that sounds very familiar, and it owes its existence to Ornette Coleman.  Again, surely I have this. 

You probably do. Massive Ornette influence! And TK ID'd this above.

7 – Well, that’s the Pharoah Sanders groove, though it’s not him.   Two keyboards.  Also reminds me of Marion Brown from “Sweet Earth Flying”.  Ah, got it, it’s the title track from Marion Brown’s “Vista”.  Great stuff when you’re in that mood.  Very sweet album.

Yep! I do love this one myself.

8 – “All The Things You Are”.  I can’t do the singer, whoever it is, sort of sub-Carmen McRae

It is in fact Carmen McRae, a vocalist who I am ashamed to say I really only got into relatively recently.

9 -  “Hi-Fly”, but that’s certainly not Randy Weston.  Doesn’t really knock me out, despite the obvious talent.

Not Hi-Fly, not Weston. Other comments above...

10 – Influenced by Dolpy but sounds to be much later.  Not bad.  David Murray-ish.

This has been ID'd, and I'm sure you know it.

11 – I liked this at the start, but then it sort of lost my interest as it went on.  

Interesting, where it really gets going for me is after the 3:30 mark.

12 – It’s good and all, but not overly compelling to me.  There’s so much of this sort of thing around.

True, but I'll take it. :)

13 – Duke’s “Come Sunday”, nice enough version.

Yep! This has been ID'd above.

14 – Back in my sweet spot. “Evod” by Ari Brown Live at the Green Mill.   Sounds like it has to be from the 70’s, doesn’t it? But it’s much later.  Really like the intensity Brown plays wit .   Actually not totally sold on the rhythm section, and the Rhodes is poorly recorded, part of the hazard of a live recording.   But still something I’m glad to own.  The horns are doin’ it!    Sounds like the whole group listened carefully to the Joe Henderson/Woody Shaw/George Cables  Lighthouse recordings.  Brown does great work with his own group and in the Ritual Trio.  And he played with Elvin Jones, though I don’t have any of those recordings.

Right on! A couple people have commented on the rhythm section here, but I like 'em. Though Ari of course is really the center of everything here.

Great BFT, thanks Tim!   7 and 14 are gems I’m glad to have.  Love # 1, surely it’s on my shelves somewhere.   Await ID’s/reveals on 1/3/5/6!

On 5/3/2020 at 4:09 PM, tkeith said:

Track 01 - Sounds late 80s to me, but the drumming sounds like Dana Hall, but busier.  What was that alto transition into the piano solo.  Seems out of place.  Something John Hicks-ish about the piano, but every time I was waiting for the tell-tale line, it wasn’t there.  Maybe Joe Bonner?  I don’t know the alto player (but you’ll tell me I do).  Good opener, but not sure where I am on it long-term.

You may not know the alto player...I'm not sure. And you may be the wrong neighborhood, which I delight in pointing out only because you got nearly everything else right. :lol:

Track 02 - I’m all in.  First thought was Shepp, but you wouldn’t do that.  Wait, that’s Ricky Ford.  GOOD Ricky Ford.  Good chance I have this, but it’s been awhile since I’ve delved into Ricky.  Maybe one of the Jaki Byard dates?  Though that sure sounds like Cyrille and not Ben Riley.  I need this if I don't have it.

Correct on Ricky Ford and Andrew Cyrille! It's someone else's date though.

Track 03 - Not sure I’m feeling this one, dude.  Intonation counts for something.  No phones, but that sure feels like electric bass to me, and I’m not digging it.  This ones a miss for me.

This one is a direct hit for me... the reveal might surprise you. :) 

Track 04 - Redeemed.  The Walkin’ Blues, but I can’t say who by.  Okay, so that’s gotta be James Carter.  This has to be one of Lester Bowie’s organ projects.  Or are you playing me and this is one of James’ influences from Detroit.  Either way, burns and makes me happy.  The guy I’m thinking of, I can’t pin a name on him, but he’s a guy James worships.  Don’t think it’s Lester, either.  Maybe one of the guys who is in those bands, though (Zollar, Malachi Thompson, or somebody like that).  Third listen.  It's James.  He's a little off, but it's James.  Sounds like his guys (Gerard Gibbs on organ, Dr. Professor Leonard King on drums). 

It's James Carter. If this is "a little off"... wow. I LOVE this.

Track 05 - Yes, please.  Gotta be Fred and Diedre.  Not something I have, though.  All day long, this. How do I NOT have this?

NOT Fred and Diedre. Really glad you like it though!

Track 06 - Ah!  At first I was all ALBERT!  Then I realized it’s the closer from this.

Correct!

Track 07 - Oh!  It’s the title track from this, but there is something about that intro that always cries out Eric Satie to me.  And what’s not to like about the personnel on this!?!?!  Why is Jimmy Hopps not a household name?

Right again! And I know what you mean on the intro.

Track 08 - First instinct was Karin Krog, but I”m wrong.  That’s Carmen McRae, no doubt about it.  I don’t have this, and if I did, I wouldn’t keep it because of the drummer.  That’s Joe Pass on guitar.  Ah… now the choice is clear to me, that’s Ray Brown.

Correct on all counts. I hear you on the drummer, but I love everything else about this too much.

Track 09 - Jitterbug Waltz a la glissando.  Hmmm… I know this guy… the phrasing is there, but I’m not getting the tell-tale lines.  When I hear Art Tatum, this is what I WANT to hear.  Getting a Hutcherson vibe (no punt intented), but thinking maybe one of the guys that was on some of those Liberty sessions but is lesser known.  Not sure I’d play it this way, but he means it, and that’s good enough for me.  

You know this guy.

Track 10 - Timely.  Closer from this.  Perry is on my short list of tolerable clarinetists.

Yep!

Track 11 - Man, this is like two tunes.  Drums/bass are doing something I like, but not against the horns.  I want it to drive more, and be more in sync.  Also is super familiar.  Kill me and tell me it’s Braxton (I hope not, because I actually like it).  Yeah, I”m really wanting the drums to match the rhythm of the horns here (a la Equal Time).  I know I’ll kick myself on this reveal.

It's Braxton! Haha...no, it's not. I don't think you'll kick yourself, but I could be mistaken.

Track 12 - Blackwell, for sure.  Oh!  Yeah.  “I is a artist.”  It’s the opener from this.

Again, yes!

Track 13 - Come Sunday, a la Cedar.  One of the early albums in my collection.  Twilight Waltz and Head and Shoulders were my favorite cuts on this.  Did ANYONE walk like Leroy!?  From this.  Man… nobody is like Junior.

And again.

Track 14 - No you don’t, son.  EVERYBODY should own this.  Closing out this in style.

And again! Arg. But yeah... just HAD to close with this.

3 hours ago, tkeith said:

Felser, (tried to quote you, but that feature SUCKS on this board), you absolutely HAVE to get the Elvin stuff with Ari.  Man!

@tkeithPlease let me know where to start!   @webbcity  So it turns that in addition to 7 and 14, I also own 6 (which I love), 10, 13.  I really need to get more familiar with what's on my shelves!   Fun BFT!  I'm not a big fan of the "mature" Ricky Ford, which explains my reticence on #2.  I liked him as a kid with Mingus and on his first album, "Loxodonta Africana".  I may do some sleuthing based on Thom's work and your feedback to him.  I may have semi-wooden ears, but I'm great at google searches!

On 5/6/2020 at 10:21 AM, Hot Ptah said:

Track 2 is Track 3, "Sweet'n", from this, by my favorite bass player, who also composed this piece:

R-4442932-1365009659-4007.jpeg.jpg

You got it! This is an album I just learned about recently... in fact, I had already put the BFT together, but went back to ask Thom if I could revise, because I wanted to add this in. This is a really great record!

On 5/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, felser said:

@tkeithPlease let me know where to start!   @webbcity  So it turns that in addition to 7 and 14, I also own 6 (which I love), 10, 13.  I really need to get more familiar with what's on my shelves!   Fun BFT!  I'm not a big fan of the "mature" Ricky Ford, which explains my reticence on #2.  I liked him as a kid with Mingus and on his first album, "Loxodonta Africana".  I may do some sleuthing based on Thom's work and your feedback to him.  I may have semi-wooden ears, but I'm great at google searches!

Ha! I get it. I don't even have that large of a collection, but I'm willing to bet you could pull something out that I own, play it, and I may not recognize it. I will say though that one of the benefits of this COVID situation (since me & my family are still all healthy, knock on wood...), is that I've had a little more time for listening, and pulling out albums I haven't listened to in a while.

As for Ricky Ford, I am not an expert on him, but know the 3 others on that track pretty well.

And regarding Elvin with Ari, I did not know that was a thing until this thread! :o All I found was a Jazz Machine album called "Soul Train"... is that the one Thom? Are there others?

On 5/6/2020 at 8:25 PM, felser said:

Yep, that's the one.  As for Ricky Ford -- Damn!  I'm unfamiliar with this record.  I forget who was talking about the Ricky sweet spot, but I love his work with Abdullah Ibrahim.

Edited by tkeith
Add more info

• 2 weeks later...

I listened to this BFT without reading any of the prior comments.

Track 1: Sounds like early-80's, Woody Shaw-ish.  Trumpeter was showing off his good range and articulation.  The tenor is playing in and out, covering all notes, at the expense of personality.  Overall, kind of a frantic performance.

Track 2: They should've played "My Favorite Things" rather than an original that's a derivation of same.  The tenor plays fast at the expense of real emotion.

Track 3: Happy Apple?  I like the energy.

Track 4: Pretty funny.  The sort of record that used to be sold from under the counter.  Remember "Shaving Cream" by Benny Bell?  Good baritone on this track.

Track 5: Too cluttered, unpleasant to listen to.  They're trying too hard.  A lot of energy, with seems to be a common thread in this BFT.  This would've been called "skronk" back in the day.

Track 6: Ornette or a disciple.  Like bashing your head against a wall.  I'm not a fan.  Stopped the track after 3 minutes.  The problem with this stuff is, in its own way, it all sounds the same.

Track 7: Finally, some pretty melody.  Wish it wasn't so modal and actually went somewhere, but it was a nice ride.

Track 8: Nice to hear a singer.  Don't know who it is.  Singer prioritizes her chops instead of the emotional import of the lyrics.

Track 9: Jitterbug Waltz.  Can't anyone play it straight tonight?  Again, too many notes, but he/she resolves his/her lines nicely.  Tries to out-Tatum Tatum.  Reminds me of the Joni Mitchell line: "The times you impress me most are the times you don't even try."

Track 10: Another Ornette disciple.  See my comments to track 6, though this isn't as noisy.  Not my cup of tea.

Track 11 & 12: More of the same.

Track 13: Come Sunday.  Nice performance.  The drums were a little busy.

Track 14: Again, not a fan.  It's OK, but just not distinctive.  I can identify this one: The Ari Brown Quartet! (Yes, I listened to the end.)

Thanks for putting the BFT together.  I know how much work it can be.  Wish I could have enjoyed it more, but we all have different tastes.

Track 11 sounds like James Carter to me. I am trying to remember an album featuring him which has a second saxophonist though. 

I love Track 12. I should know this but I do not. I probably have it in my collection, or albums featuring each musician here. 

Track 13 is a very unusual arrangement in which Duke Ellington's "Come Sunday" pokes through. I want to know what this is!!!

I am skipping around this BFT and listening to different tracks repeatedly. I will have more comments in the days to come.