Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bresna

Gary Sisco - RIP

9 posts in this topic

A longtime contributor to the old Jazz Central Station & Jazz Corner forums, Gary Sisco, died on September 17th. Even though I haven't seen or heard from Gary in many years, this still bums me out. He was quite the character, both on-line and in person.

He used to live in this beautiful house on a hill in Jeffersonville, Vermont that he designed himself to make it so that Bronwyn could get around in her wheelchair. Being fellow Jazz fans, I used to plan my regular business trips to IBM in Burlington so that I could go to a show or two and visit with him & his wife Bronwyn at their manse. Bronwyn and Gary were great hosts and we stayed up into the wee hours of the night debating world events, usually over a few beers or in Sisco's case, a few joints. I was shocked when he told me they were selling that beautiful place and moving to Kentucky to be in horse country. I still remember that beautiful view out the windows.

RIP Crispo. The world is less one cantankerous old devil and we are the worse for it.

RIP Gary. You had a real life.

RIP.  I had communicated with him a few times wondering if he might have been a distant family relative, my father's mother's last name was Sisco.  Didn't turn out to be the case, but he seemed very nice.

A never had a chance to meet him in person (a plan that never materialized) but I considered him a friend.  He was a very unique and special person.  RIP.

Lots of back and forth over the decades but some time back he "unfriended" me, probably about politics.

10 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

Lots of back and forth over the decades but some time back he "unfriended" me, probably about politics.

Didn't know the guy, sorry to hear he's died, but after reading that obit, the idea that Chuck was apparently too far to the right for a fellow traveler made me chuckle.

13 hours ago, Chuck Nessa said:

He was pretty prickly about some topics... I'm sure you are not the only one he unfriended over some slight political disagreement. He had an especially thin skin when talking about the military and/or veteran affairs. Given his years in the service, he had firm beliefs about that, with little wiggle room, especially if you hadn't served yourself.

I just heard about this last week. Gary was a friend and put my band up on tour, among other kindnesses over the years. RIP to my pal and condolences to Bronwyn.