HutchFan

Your Favorite Jazz Records of the 1980s?

327 posts in this topic

Wow, where to start? Here are just a few to begin:

Cedar Walton - Cedar - Timeless

Teddy Edwards - Out Of This World - Steeplechase

Barry Harris - For The Moment - Uptown

Zoot Sims -  I Wish I were Twins - Pablo

Tommy Flanagan - Nights At The Vanguard - Uptown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

Teddy Edwards - Out Of This World - Steeplechase

A good one indeed ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b27311318fe816cc451f3ceadfcb

I would agree with that - it did cross my mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Al Cohn, "Rifftide" (1987, Timeless)

Roscoe Mitchell, "Snurdy McGurdy and Her Dancin' Shoes" (1980, Nessa)

Warne Marsh, "A Ballad Album" (1983, Criss Cross)

Lee Konitz/Gil Evans, "Heroes" and "Anti-Heroes" (1980, Verve)

Henry Threadgill, "When Was That?" (1982, About Time), "Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket" (1983, About Time), "Subject to Change" (1984, About Time)

George Wallington, "The Symphony of a Jazz Piano" (1985, Interface)



 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Larry Kart said:

Henry Threadgill, "When Was That?" (1982, About Time), "Just the Facts and Pass the Bucket" (1983, About Time)

Yep ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, soulpope said:

ab67616d0000b273e17c7c3e232d583e48d4dd48

Yeah, this one is on my list too !!!

 

12 hours ago, duaneiac said:

Stan Getz was on a roll in the 1980's.  Each of these albums is worthy of mention --

R-5070773-1392759307-2604.jpeg.jpg

R-2505877-1287723664.jpeg.jpg

R-4346974-1362412634-7858.jpeg.jpg

R-5829181-1403858855-8341.jpeg.jpg

R-15155824-1587400297-4620.jpeg.jpg

R-12720614-1540684004-5518.jpeg.jpg

duaniac,

Totally agree on the Getz -- but you missed another top-shelf disc from this time:

R-8601984-1464897727-5356.jpeg.jpg

Recorded in '82 but not released until '95.

:) 

Edited by HutchFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 4:18 AM, Pim said:

Abdullah Ibrahim - Water From an Ancient Well 

 

Absolutely!  Wonderful album.

19 hours ago, HutchFan said:

duaniac,

Totally agree on the Getz -- but you missed another top-shelf disc from this time:

R-8601984-1464897727-5356.jpeg.jpg

Recorded in '82 but not released until '95.

:) 

I didn't wish to appear dogmatic! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, every one of those StanGetz albums is stone winner!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bobby Hutcherson: Farewell Keystone

Image result for bobby hutcherson farewell keystone

Bobby Hutcherson: Four Seasons

Image result for bobby hutcherson four seasons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some nice records in here. 

I'm going to try to get my choices in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 7:42 AM, soulpope said:

Screenshot-2021-02-13-134116.jpg

 

On 2/13/2021 at 2:23 PM, Larry Kart said:

Warne Marsh, "A Ballad Album" (1983, Criss Cross)

 

soulpope, Larry,

Interesting that you both chose Warne's A Ballad Album.  I've always preferred Star Highs

...But now you guys make me want to go back and re-listen to A Ballad Album.  Maybe I've been missing something!  ;) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HutchFan said:

 

 

soulpope, Larry,

Interesting that you both chose Warne's A Ballad Album.  I've always preferred Star Highs

...But now you guys make me want to go back and re-listen to A Ballad Album.  Maybe I've been missing something!  ;) 

 

Love them both, and would have picked both, but I thought "Star Highs" wasn't within the '80s time frame. I may have been mistaken on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Larry Kart said:

Love them both, and would have picked both, but I thought "Star Highs" wasn't within the '80s time frame. I may have been mistaken on that.

Per Wikipedia, Warne recorded Star Highs on August 14, 1982.  So it's 'in' timeline-wise.  :) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 70s and 80s were an extraordinarily creative/fertile time for jazz!  I'll have to think about my favorites, but there are a lot I love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Per Wikipedia, Warne recorded Star Highs on August 14, 1982.  So it's 'in' timeline-wise.  :) 

 

OK -- add it to my list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.