Study finds that jazz fans are the happiest people of any genre of music

No doubt such cases/lives exist. But IMO this misses the point of the "survey". Or to put it another way: I understood this to mean that those who speak of their musical preferences do so in positive and "happy" terms and exude happiness. I.e. how they feel about their music and how thier music makes them feel. And according to this "survey" these positive vibes seem to happen more frequently with jazz fans than with fans of most other music styles. And according to the report this seems also seems to be true for with Heavy Metal fans - not exactly a segment that typically leads the same kind of everyday life as the average jazz fan.

Quote from the comment:

" New research courtesy of online marketplace OnBuy.com (no, we're not sure why they're researching this, either) has found that metal is home to music's second happiest fan base, thanks to the high level of positivity the community shows online.
The rigorous and absolutely definitely scientifically-sound research was compiled through the analysis of more than two million Reddit comments from the subreddits of 27 different music genres. The number of times positive words were used within the subreddits was calculated to reveal the hierarchy of fan base happiness, revealing that jazz listeners are the most positive, followed by metallers. At the more negative end of the spectrum were drill, grime, and drum and bass fans."
And so on ...

OTOH, why would drum and bass fans, for example, be at the negative end? Are their everyday lives all just pieces of junk and even their drum and bass hammering won't relieve them from that feeling or do they lead great lives yet delight in talking only about the negative vibes they get from their music all day? Or does this happen to be a style of music that tends to amplify any negative feelings you may harbor? (Hard to believe but ...)

Anyway ... no doubt the "Loudersound" people were not taking these findings all that seriously ("no, we're not sure why ...", "rigorous and absolutely definitely scientifically-sound..." :D :D) and neither do I, but isn't the bottom line that this "survey" is only about how people feel about their favorite music and what input they obtain from their music? Not about what else happens in their lives?

FWIW, last winter I went through a somewhat difficult phase in my everday life for a number of reasons mayself, and yet my favorite music(s) was a source of uplifting feelings throughout. Which might have come to the fore too if I had ever posted on Reddit.
So if even your favorite music can't put an occasional ray of light in your life then ... ๐Ÿ˜• Hope the people you know will fare better over time.

14 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

No doubt such cases/lives exist. But IMO this misses the point of the "survey". Or to put it another way: I understood this to mean that those who speak of their musical preferences do so in positive and "happy" terms and exude happiness. I.e. how they feel about their music and how thier music makes them feel. And according to this "survey" these positive vibes seem to happen more frequently with jazz fans than with fans of most other music styles. And according to the report this seems also seems to be true for with Heavy Metal fans - not exactly a segment that typically leads the same kind of everyday life as the average jazz fan.

Quote from the comment:

" New research courtesy of online marketplace OnBuy.com (no, we're not sure why they're researching this, either) has found that metal is home to music's second happiest fan base, thanks to the high level of positivity the community shows online.
The rigorous and absolutely definitely scientifically-sound research was compiled through the analysis of more than two million Reddit comments from the subreddits of 27 different music genres. The number of times positive words were used within the subreddits was calculated to reveal the hierarchy of fan base happiness, revealing that jazz listeners are the most positive, followed by metallers. At the more negative end of the spectrum were drill, grime, and drum and bass fans."
And so on ...

OTOH, why would drum and bass fans, for example, be at the negative end? Are their everyday lives all just pieces of junk and even their drum and bass hammering won't relieve them from that feeling or do they lead great lives yet delight in talking only about the negative vibes they get from their music all day? Or does this happen to be a style of music that tends to amplify any negative feelings you may harbor? (Hard to believe but ...)

Anyway ... no doubt the "Loudersound" people were not taking these findings all that seriously ("no, we're not sure why ...", "rigorous and absolutely definitely scientifically-sound..." :D :D) and neither do I, but isn't the bottom line that this "survey" is only about how people feel about their favorite music and what input they obtain from their music? Not about what else happens in their lives?

FWIW, last winter I went through a somewhat difficult phase in my everday life for a number of reasons mayself, and yet my favorite music(s) was a source of uplifting feelings throughout. Which might have come to the fore too if I had ever posted on Reddit.
So if even your favorite music can't put an occasional ray of light in your life then ... ๐Ÿ˜• Hope the people you know will fare better over time.

Well I was taking a broader view than this puff piece I suppose. These persons I am referencing can speak happily of their love of jazz. . . but that doesn't erase dangerous loneliness. artistic career frustration, family issues (some induced by conflicts of political and religious ideologies), problems with substance abuse et al that are making them non-happy persons. Jazz won't save you from many unhappinesses even if it can be a salve or temporary release or escape.