MLB 2021: it’s baseball season!

21 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

In other sad news, JR Richard is dead:

https://www.mlb.com/news/j-r-richard-dies

Major bummer...he came to the team as "James Rodney",, that's how I always remember him.

Between him and Don Wilson, there was a quick hot minute where there were whispers that the Astros didn't give a half a damn about their black players health...and who knows. You think the Astros are fuckers now...

Anyway, RIP and much love in this memory's heart.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weird trivia note from last night’s Royals-Yankees game:

>>It was the first game in Major League history in which both teams scored in the seventh, eighth, ninth, 10th and 11th innings, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. Kansas City became the first team in the Modern Era (since 1900) to erase a deficit in innings seven, eight, nine and 10.<<

... and in a much older story, evidently the so-called “Manfred rule” of starting all extra innings with a runner on second, instituted last year in an effort to speed up the conclusion of such games, will be retired at the end of this season:

Manfred says added runner, 7-inning doubleheader games likely on the way out

On 8/5/2021 at 5:02 PM, JSngry said:

Major bummer...he came to the team as "James Rodney",, that's how I always remember him.

Between him and Don Wilson, there was a quick hot minute where there were whispers that the Astros didn't give a half a damn about their black players health...and who knows. You think the Astros are fuckers now...

Anyway, RIP and much love in this memory's heart.

I think he may well have become a Hall of Famer if it hadn’t been for the stroke. I started to follow baseball as a kid around 1974, and in my memory he was one of the most dominant pitchers in MLB from 1975-1980.

Edited by ghost of miles

52 minutes ago, ghost of miles said:

... and in a much older story, evidently the so-called “Manfred rule” of starting all extra innings with a runner on second, instituted last year in an effort to speed up the conclusion of such games, will be retired at the end of this season:

Good riddance to bad rubbish. That was some sad bullshit that never should have ben allowed to happen.

The Red Sox are officially helpless, hapless and hopeless.

It only took about 7 weeks longer for them than it did for the Cubs.

I have nothing left to watch except to see that the Yankees crash and burn in October and while its probably likely, its by no means a sure thing.

2 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

Brewers sweep Cubs - BUT then the Cubs are terrible, minor league caliber.

52-65...only 13 games under .500.

https://www.lonestarball.com/2021/8/12/22622552/texas-rangers-end-road-trip-with-familiar-loss-to-seattle-mariners

it could be worst, at least we're not the orioles yet.

Lotta baseball left to play, though!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 0:20 PM, Brad said:

End of an era. Topps has lost its license to make baseball cards.

Topps loses its licensing deal for baseball cards and tears up its plan to go public

Sad news, had not seen that. As a kid I think I eventually had the 1975-1980 seasons complete (from 1978-80 I was buying the newest sets wholesale through mail-order). Lost interest as a teenager and sold them all off in 1985... would cost me a pretty penny and then some to reacquire them today. Also had a lot of early-1970s cards that I’d picked up in trades with other neighborhood kids (passed on to them by older siblings) as well as some 1950s cards that my dad had given to me. (He even had some Bowmans from the year when they were designed to look like TV sets). 

On a lighter, or should I say lightning note:

The incredible story of Ray Caldwell, the pitcher who was struck by lightning and still completed the game

... hipped to this story by Paul O’Neill’s reference to it during the Yankees game the other night. “... after they revived him, he said ‘I’ve still got one more out to get!’” And he got it. 😄 

1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

Amen!  Did you know that they did CFL (and NFL) cards as well?

We were not a Post cereals family, but we were a Jello family, and Jello had one card on the back.

We were both Post & Jello. My mom cut them out for me even before I liked baseball. Wish I still had them.

Post cam back with 3-D cards..late-60s or early 70s. Inside the box this time.

Oh yeah, we did the football cards as well!

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

We were both Post & Jello. My mom cut them out for me even before I liked baseball. Wish I still had them.

Post cam back with 3-D cards..late-60s or early 70s. Inside the box this time.

Oh yeah, we did the football cards as well!

I had a couple of those 3-D cards!  Again, acquired from kids who'd inherited them from older siblings.  I'd forgotten all about those.  

One of the funniest moments was when the Braves were playing the Phillies and third basemen Mike Schmidt drifted into foul ground a little behind the bag to catch the ball, with his back to home plate. The Braves runner on third tagged and made a break for home plate and beat the surprised Schmidt's throw.

It may have been the highlight of Eddie Miller's rather undistinguished career.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/milleed04.shtml

Terry Forster didn't even come to bat 100 times in his 16 year big league career, but he could put the bat on the ball. I remember seeing him come to the plate twice in a Braves game and he got a hit both times, one of which was a double. Usually relievers embarass themselves when batting, though a few starting pitchers could hit.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/f/forstte01.shtml

Edited by Ken Dryden

• 2 weeks later...