Anthony Braxton - 23 Standards (Quartet) 2003

relyles

I have had a limited exposure to Anthony Braxton's voluminous recorded output. Of the Anthony Braxton recordings that I have heard, I prefer his more “straight ahead” projects when he interpreted the music of others. In particular, I really enjoyed his recordings of compositions by Monk, Six Monk’s Compositions (1987), and Andrew Hill, Nine Compositions (Hill) 2000. The core unit on the Hill CIMP release is also on this four disc set - Kevin O’Neil on guitar, bassist Andy Eulau and percussionist Kevin O’Neil. I had the opportunity to listen to all four discs today and my initial reaction is very positive. Braxton’s approach to these standards is fresh and engages the listener. His distinctive playing on various saxophones personalizes the tunes and Kevin O'Neil is impressive throughout. I know this disc is not as challenging as most of Braxton's other recordings, but I have a feeling that upon repeated listens this will easily be one of my favorite releases for 2004.

Guest Chaney

Probably ancient news by now but there's an interesting review by Dan Warburton and discussion over on the Bagatellen site. The review would seem to give a person a good preview as to what's to be found on this set.

I may eventually get this one but not right now as I'm low on cash. (Just ordered a new computer. icon8.gif) Probably just as well as I'm finally having a good listen to and enjoying Six Compositions (GTM) 2001. (Gotta love those San Francisco Bay area musicians.)

Edited by Chaney

Concerning Braxton's "standards" recordings. Anthony works with a very personal "time feel" and the "standards" recordings with "bop players" don't work for me. When he works with "his people" it is a different "can of worms". The Parker and Tristano/Marsh programs are a good example of this.

I thought the Magenta records with Hank Jones were very unsuccessful. To many conflicts, a kind of parody I think.

I'm liking this set quite a bit, but there's times when Braxton sounds really tired in terms of the strength of his sound. Sometimes it's strong, but sometimes it's not. Is the the tour that he was sick on? But even when the tone is weak(er), the playing is not.

"Only The Lonely" is a mesmerizing performance. And yeah, I too wondered about the Sinatra thing (he also does "Why Shouldn't I", from Rosemary Clooney's LOVE album, so may he's been on a Nelson Riddle trip@). I remember an old interview where he was talking about having tickets to go see Sinatra and he sounded like a real fan, which wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Keven O'NEal intrigues as well - anybody who can find the common ground between Jimmy Raney & Pete Cosey is obviously not your normal guitarist.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Jim on this one. Braxton seems to be having some pretty serious intonation problems, especially when he takes up the soprano. This is especially evident on "Desafinado". Don't get me wrong, though, I'll still take even a weakened Braxton when he chooses to play standards and I'm enjoying this set a great deal. By the way, Kevin O'Neal, the guitarist, is really something else. If you've never heard him, you're in for a treat.

Up over and out.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When this came out, I was told that if I'd heard Braxton play standards, it's more of the same. After hearing wonderful things about the guitar player, I ordered it. The box was at the PO yesterday, I'm more than half way through it and I'm thrilled with it! :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this in the "rat" already, and as I took the pains to type it up, I may as well post it here, too:

Here's The Wire’s review of the recent 4CD Braxton box, as well as Leo Feigin’s reply. The review also covers Andrew Cyrille/Anthony Braxton’s “Duo Palindrome” discs on Intakt, and the hatOLOGY reissue of Max Roach/Anthony Braxton, “One in Two/Two in One”. I did not type up those parts (they follow what I did type up), as Feigin did only write about his own Braxton release.

The Wire 248, October 2004, p. 53/55

Anthony Braxton

23 Standards (Quartet)

Leo 4XCD

BY ANDY HAMILTON

Anthony Braxton’s quartets, whether playing standards or not, have always featured a redoubtable rhythm section often featuring players he’s discovered. On the very substantive 23 Standards, Kevin O’Neil on guitar, Andy Eulau on bass and Kevin Norton on drums make a wonderful team, as they did on the excellent Braxton CD of Andrew Hill compositions from 2000. Some might argue that if they all played like Braxton – the bassist and drummer unable to sustain a groove, the guitarist all at sea with the chords – the result would be a jazz version of Portsmouth Sinfonia’s cheery incompetence. Don’t get me wrong, I’m a fan of the Sinfonia, but despite some serious intent the joke wears off in time, and anyway, Braxton is meant to respect tradition.

Still, there’s unquestionably a bizarre dissonance between the approach of Braxton and his cohorts. The leader is virtuosic in playing just about every reed instrument from sopranino sax to contrabass clarinet, yet he nonetheless seems to fumble the theme of every standard on these four discs. Maybe he intends what he plays, but the results don’t come across like Steve Lacy’s thoughtful reworkings of a Monk line, for instance. Maybe he just doesn’t hear the mistakes, just as he doesn’t seem to notice the clash of styles with the other players. You get the same sense when Albert Ayler plays tunes, but unlike Ayler, Braxton attempts pieces by the likes of Tristano and Monk, not to mention the standards repertoire, all of which need very precise playing.

There might even be more inaccuracies and intonational idiosyncrasies than on previous standards outing, but Braxton solos unmistakably, spilling out ungainly clumps of notes as if gripped by muscular spasm. “Blue in Green” from Miles Davis’ Kind Of Blue and two Brubeck pieces from Time Out and Time Further Out mix with Wayne Shorter’s “Ju-Ju”, Herbie Hancock’s “Dolphin Dance” and Coltrane’s “Giant Steps” and “Countdown”. Joe Henderson’s “Recorda Me” has the most incongruous theme statement on sopranino sax, while the 17 minute “Crazy Rhythm” is greatly enjoyable. Four hours 33 minutes of music on four CDs is a big statement, even if it’s not clear exactly what of.

(...)

Now here comes Mr. Feigin’s reply:

The Wire 249, November 2004, p. 6

Braxton hick

Thank you for running Andy Hamilton’s review of the Anthony Braxton four CD set 23 Standards (Quartet) (Soundcheck, The Wire 248). Although this review is very bad, I am convinced such reviews are absolutely necessary, for they are a true indication that the album under review is really special. Mediocre or ordinary recordings never create controversy. Where would Ornette Coleman, Albert Ayler, Cecil Taylor, Charles Mingus, Art Ensemble of Chicago or Ganelin Trio be without the controversy they created with their music? When an artist comes up with something really new or radical there are always conventionally minded reviewers who don’t understand the new aesthetic. As Paul Bley once said in one of his interviews, how do you know that something new has arrived? You know because you don’t like it.

They say that a good review helps to sell some CDs. As much as I would love to sell some copies of 23 Standards, I would not swap Hamilton’s review for any money. It’s not that Hamilton doesn’t understand the aesthetics of new music in general and Braxton’s in particular, he goes much further. He states that Braxton “fumbles the theme of every standard on these four discs... Maybe he just doesn’t hear the mistakes, just as he doesn’t seem to notice the clash of styles with the other players”. This is really hilarious. He, Andy Hamilton, hears Braxton’s mistakes, while Braxton doesn’t hear that he makes mistakes. Hamilton has the audacity to advise Braxton that the standard repertoire needs very precise playing. No deviation is tolerated. Apparently, Braxton solos “unmistakenly [sic!], spilling out ungainly clumps of notes as if gripped by muscular spasm”.

I am very fortunate to have been reading this review while alone in the house. I was roaring with laughter and my relatives and children might have thought that something serious had happened to their father. Hamilton created a real masterpiece, and I cannot find words to express my gratitude to The Wire for giving me, and I am sure many of Braxton’s followers, a chance to have a good laugh. In the near future I shall be releasing more recordings by Anthony Braxton, who is, in the minds of many, not only a great musician, but one of the greatest visionaries of our time. I would be delighted if The Wire commissions Andy Hamilton to review them.

Leo Feigin, Leo Records via email

ubu (back from fighting for God and - what to call it? It's not God's own... - country)

Anyone recommend an online shop with this in stock? I've checked the usual suspects and it's listed as a special order, not in stock item. Could it be sold out already?

I got mine from amazon.uk

Good service & good price (if they still have it).

Excellent! Just ordered the set for about $52 delivered from the UK.

Thanks!