70's Mainstream Records JAZZ!!!!!

pasta

:party: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I literally CANNOT get enough of this stuff on precious vinyl!!!! Mostly second stringers getting to be leaders for a change, but lots of hot playing, with some solid originals amongst the standards on almost all of them.................cool graphics, etc.............Awesome period for Jazz in my opinion..........a little out, real fusion-esque without the later sacharrin trappings! LOVE 'EM! Anyone else out there dig these as much as me? WHAT I HAVE SCORED SO FAR:

HADLEY CALIMAN-SELF TITLED

JOHNNY COLES- KATUMBO

ART FARMER- HOMECOMING

ART FARMER- GENTLE EYES

CURTIS FULLER- CRANKIN'

HAL GALPER- GUERILLA BAND

HAL GALPER- WILD BIRD

HAL GALPER- INNER JOURNEY

STAN HOPE- SELF TITLED

HAROLD LAND- NEW SHADE OF BLUE

MIKE LONGO- MATRIX

CHARLES MCPHERSON- SELF TITLED

CHARLES MCPHERSON- SIKU YA BIBI

BARRY MILES- WHITE HEAT

BARRY MILES- SCATBIRD

BLUE MITCHELL-BLUE'S BLUES

BLUE MITCHELL- LAST TANGO = BLUES

BLUE MITCHELL- GRAFFITI BLUES

REGGIE MOORE- WISHBONE

REGGIE MOORE- FURIOSO

BUDDY TERRY- AWARENESS

JOHN WHITE- SELF TITLED

DAVID YOUNG- SELF TITLED

Sonny Red is blowin' right NOW!!!!

CHEERS!

Pasta

Chuck- Do you have any information on these sessions? I would love to hear it all, sir! I have read remarks similar to yours, plus some of the guys got stiffed on $$$ as well apparently? Give! ;-)

JSngry- Not yet, but it will be MINE one day!

Wow, a new poster like myself getting the attention of the heavyweights on the board! I certainly appreciate the responses, and from all my lurking, you gents are the people in the know for sure. Right now I am spinning the Caliman debut LP! AWESOME STUFF!

pasta

We ain't heavyweights, we're just big-boned. :lol:

Yeah, that first Calliman is some cool shit, but IAPETUS is another thing entirely. Not at all like that first one. Actually, there's nothing else quite like it by anybody, ever, not really.

But Chuck's points are also well-taken. CRANKIN' for instance, could have been a much better record than it was with some better preparation and supervison. And that's not the only example.

Still, it's definitely a catalog not without items of interest. Chuck disagrees with me on this, I believe, but what with us both being big-boned and all, we WILL survive. ;)