Art Ensemble of Chicago: The Pathe Sessions

Kreilly

I just received "Americans Swinging in Paris" from Caiman and although the cd appeared to be sealed, the inlay was missing. There is a slot where the inlay booklet should be but it's not there. I just want to know the session info for this cd. Is this just a twofer containing "Les Stances a Sophie" and 'People in Sorrow"? I have "Les Stances a Sophie" and it has 8 tracks:

1. Theme De Yoyo

2. Theme De Celine

3. Variations Sur Un Theme De Monteverdi (i)

4. Variations Sur Un Theme De Monteverdi (ii)

5. Proverbes (i)

6. Theme Amour Universal

7. Theme Libre

8. Proverbes (ii)

"Americans Swinging in Paris" has the following tracklisting:

1. Theme de Yo-Yo

2. Thème de Céline

3. Variations Sur un Thème de Monteverdi (I, II, III)

4. Thème de l'Amour Universel

5. Proverbes (I, II, III)

6. Thème "Libre"

7. People in Sorrow, Pt. 1

8. People in Sorrow, Pt. 2

Can someone clarify this? Is "Sophie" just arranged differently?

Kevin

"Americans Swinging in Paris" has the following tracklisting:

1. Theme de Yo-Yo

2. Thème de Céline

3. Variations Sur un Thème de Monteverdi (I, II, III)

4. Thème de l'Amour Universel

5. Proverbes (I, II, III)

6. Thème "Libre"

7. People in Sorrow, Pt. 1

8. People in Sorrow, Pt. 2

This is the edition I have. Mine came with a booklet, and is comprised of Les Stances a Sophie (with Fontella Bass and Don Moye), paired with People in Sorrow. And, it is excellent. All of it.

I just received "Americans Swinging in Paris" from Caiman and although the cd appeared to be sealed, the inlay was missing. There is a slot where the inlay booklet should be but it's not there. I just want to know the session info for this cd. Is this just a twofer containing "Les Stances a Sophie" and 'People in Sorrow"? I have "Les Stances a Sophie" and it has 8 tracks:

Since you have "Sophie" you should be able to figure it out. Nothing new and nothing missing on the current EMI lp dubs.

The AEC told French EMI to contact me since Capitol didn't want to issue the records in the US. I signed a contract (in perpetuity) with them and they sent me copies of the masters.

In the mid '80s when I was at the bottom of my financial life, Cuscuna asked if I'd relinquish my rights so BN could issue the stuff and I agreed. I thought the guys could make some bucks. Nothing was issued.

I still have the tapes and they don't.

Since they made me pay for the tapes, if they ever understand I have 'em they have to buy 'em back.

The AEC told French EMI to contact me since Capitol didn't want to issue the records in the US. I signed a contract (in perpetuity) with them and they sent me copies of the masters.

In the mid '80s when I was at the bottom of my financial life, Cuscuna asked if I'd relinquish my rights so BN could issue the stuff and I agreed. I thought the guys could make some bucks. Nothing was issued.

I still have the tapes and they don't.

Since they made me pay for the tapes, if they ever understand I have 'em they have to buy 'em back.

Ain't the music biz a kick in the head? :huh:

No, not all Chuck. Just commenting on a record company choosing to release an LP dub instead of tracking down an original (even copy) tape directly from the source. That, and a company losing the tapes in the first place. Of course they should pay you for their use. The whole thing just sounds like some burocratic cluster-fuck...

Don't have a clue. I still have the tapes they sent me in 1970.  B-)

Didn't People in Sorrow originally come out on Nessa? So wouldn't you have the tapes anyway? Or are you just talking about "Sophie"?

They originally came out in France on EMI Pathe; Chuck issued them in the US in the early 1970s (right?).

Hello Chuck, I was looking for information about Les Stances a Sophie and I think you can help me. I've read what you said in ¡this forum and I don't understand it at all. Here are my questions:

1. Why do appear 3 versions of "Variations sur un Theme de Monteverdi" on the track list but they doesn't exist on the EMI CD? Does they really exist? Did you listened them?

2. If I'm not wrong, the Universal Sound CD was released before the EMI one. Was it also a dub release or was done from the originals master tapes?

3. Are really the originals lost?

Sorry for being so curious and thanks a lot.

Xavi, Barcelona.

Hello Chuck, I was looking for information about Les Stances a Sophie and I think you can help me. I've read what you said in ¡this forum and I don't understand it at all. Here are my questions:

1. Why do appear 3 versions of "Variations sur un Theme de Monteverdi" on the track list but they doesn't exist on the EMI CD? Does they really exist? Did you listened them?

2. If I'm not wrong, the Universal Sound CD was released before the EMI one. Was it also a dub release or was done from the originals master tapes?

Xavi, Barcelona.

1. The listings on the EMI issue are in error. No extra music available. Notice they list 3 Proverbes as well, but there are only 2.

2. The Universal Sound disc does predate the current EMI disc but an earlier French EMI disc in the "Jazztime" series was the first cd version. All 3 of these dubbed "Sophie" from vinyl.

3. I assume EMI has lost the tapes.

Now to confuse things further, Lester Bowie told me they recorded "a bunch more Proverbes" which were not issued. I mentioned this to Michael Cuscuna years ago and he said a search turned up no surviving tapes.

Xavi, Barcelona.

1. The listings on the EMI issue are in error. No extra music available. Notice they list 3 Proverbes as well, but there are only 2.

2. The Universal Sound disc does predate the current EMI disc but an earlier French EMI disc in the "Jazztime" series was the first cd version. All 3 of these dubbed "Sophie" from vinyl.

3. I assume EMI has lost the tapes.

Now to confuse things further, Lester Bowie told me they recorded "a bunch more Proverbes" which were not issued. I mentioned this to Michael Cuscuna years ago and he said a search turned up no surviving tapes.

Thanks Chuck. That's a great lost for the music history.

Did you see the original vinil? I was wandering if the CD cover of the Universal SOunds is the original.

In this cover the band appears playing and it correspond to film frames. All Music Guide says the music was not used for the film but that pics could be the prove it was.

Anybody has seen the film? Did they finally used the soundtrack?

I was wandering if the CD cover of the Universal SOunds is the original.

In 1970 Pathe Marconi (EMI) sent me a set of films (printing negatives) for their cover design. I altered the front some and created a totally new back. Universal Sound used my cover. They paid me 100 cds for the right to do this!

The Pathe cover included a photo of a couple in bed (lower right quadrant) and different type composition in the upper left.

• 3 years later...